Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By berdinkerdickle
  1.    #1  
    I've wanted to replace my pre for awhile now for various hardware issues, but if I do I am wondering if I should doctor to get rid of patches and my 800 overclock before I return it. I'm still on my first pre and have never doctored my phone so both of these are things I'm unfamiliar with. I also feel weird handing over my phone with so much of my personal info readily available on it.

To those of you that have replaced your pre multiple times, what do you think is the best course of action before trying to get a replacement?
    I received several replacements from Sprint and even though I never kept any patch or 800Mhz for a long time I recommend you doctor your phone before handing it in. It's only fair. If they don't reflash the phone before giving it to another consumer and that consumer runs into problems because of any of the patches that wouldn't be nice. Plus You really wouldn't wanna return a phone with unapproved patches on in the first place.

You can delete all your information from your phone from the same place you reset your phone. I have always done that at the Sprint store. Takes only a few seconds. If you're paranoid about your information you can also use secure erase but that can take a looooong time to complete.

For help on doctoring, go here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    WHERE IS THE DOCTOR. I need a doctor! And it's not Dr. Dre.
    I can't find it anywhere. All I get is "Palm coming soon" with some of the links.

HELP!!!!

<<edited out email>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/19/2015 at 01:07 PM.
    You'll need to edit your hosts file on your computer, then clear your browser's cache and the links will start working.

I'll be back in a minute with info. Hopefully no one will post an archive.org link, because The Wayback Machine is close to deleting their copies of the Doctor

Edit - updated post with the correct downloading instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    To download a Doctor from HP:

Add 63.80.4.201 downloads.help.palm.com to your computer's hosts file. Clear your browser's cache (to remove the "mynewpalm.com" redirect).

The links in the Internals Wiki will now work
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/17/2015 at 02:12 PM.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    Hopefully no one will post an archive.org link, because The Wayback Machine is close to deleting their copies of the Doctor
    How do you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    WHERE IS THE DOCTOR. I need a doctor! And it's not Dr. Dre.
    I can't find it anywhere. All I get is "Palm coming soon" with some of the links.

HELP!!!!
    Edit your HOSTS file
    23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161 ipkg.preware.org
    15.217.96.16 help.palm.com

Then use one of these doctor links
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions

This should work in Europe. (This applies until the HP shutdown onthe 15th of March 2015).

If not, then you have to look at Archive.org
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/18/2015 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    How do you know this?
    We've cost them almost 20GB worth of bandwidth, and i'm gonna go back and edit my old posts that suggest to download from their archive. Well, they don't actually delete, but they do sideline files that get too much activity.

And here's the solution

To download a Doctor from HP:

Add 63.80.4.201 downloads.help.palm.com to your computer's hosts file. Clear your browser's cache (to remove the "mynewpalm.com" redirect).

The links in the Internals Wiki will now work
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    I've wanted to replace my pre for awhile now for various hardware issues, but if I do I am wondering if I should doctor to get rid of patches and my 800 overclock before I return it. I'm still on my first pre and have never doctored my phone so both of these are things I'm unfamiliar with. I also feel weird handing over my phone with so much of my personal info readily available on it.

To those of you that have replaced your pre multiple times, what do you think is the best course of action before trying to get a replacement?

You have to give it back? I've only had to do that when i wanted a free replacement under warranty.

And then I only did a full secure erase. To heck with doctoring. That phone is going right in the recycle bin. No way Sprint is reissuing Pres today. I'd go get one!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    You have to give it back? I've only had to do that when i wanted a free replacement under warranty.

And then I only did a full secure erase. To heck with doctoring. That phone is going right in the recycle bin. No way Sprint is reissuing Pres today. I'd go get one!
    Ahh... The old thread trap...

Everything 04/27/2010 is new again
    Ahh... The old thread trap...

Everything 04/27/2010 is new again
    Well that explains much.

D'oh!

Maybe his email address above should be scrubbed, or this thread closed, before angry mobs start spamming him
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    Just call me Berd.
    TJs11thPre likes this.