Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I typically use WiFi for data on my Pre (at home and work), and I was thinking it would be nice if I could turn off 3G while I am not in danger of receiving an urgent email (e.g. the weekend).

Turns out, you can do this, which was unbeknownst to me before:

1. Open Phone app
    2. Go to Preferences in the App Tab
    3. Set "Data Usage" to "Off"

So last Friday evening, I turned 3G off and only activated it as-needed while I was out-and-about. I was able to avoid a critical power warning until Monday morning.

Try it and share your results!!
    there's a patch for that...
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    How is the patch different from disabling it in preferences?
    I think the patch he may be referring to allows you to disable it in the same menu as the Wifi and Bluetooth, it's a bit more convenient.

This is a solution if you don't mind the inconvenience, but remember you will only receive SMS and Phone calls, so no email, IMs, synergy, or backups. This goes for all phones too, no 3G means one less radio to keep active.

Though there really should be no difference as the radio shouldn't be messing around when it's not being used (though it almost sounds like that isn't happening).

I would like to see a patch which automatically turns off Data while all apps are closed, and it would be nice to terminate all the 3G-related services like email while not in use, I never use the messenger, and Calendar/Contacts very rarely.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    just a thought here...but what about a patch where you can turn off your data/3g and would automatically turn back on every 15-30 minutes for a couple minutes to receive emails etc... Could this be done?
    There's also a patch to install in the drop down menu to switch from 3g to 2g and off.
    Hummm... at home I have a WiFi and a femtocell (Still burns me that I had to pay Verizon $200+ because they have such poor service n my area!) and it is only 2g.
    Does 2g uses much less power than 3g?
    Thanks!
    the main issue is... when there is a weak signal (as you know) it kills the battery 2g or 3g.. but if there is a strong 2g.. and weak 3g.. the phone will try and connect to the 3g and turn the radio up to try and get it.. thats why some people turning off the 3g is good becuase it's connected to home wifi or work wifi..

so i guess it depends...
  9.    #9  
    A 3G radio likely uses more power. Not to mention, just turning it off saves you the grief of having to micromanage all your data-hungry apps.
    The name of the patch is Data Toggle. It works for this.
    OK, so I understand the data toggle, but if I buy the ATT Pre and take it to China, I need to be able to turn off ALL data (as in the iPhone), so that I don't run up a bill into the stratosphere. Even if the phone is on 2G, it can still download data, albeit not as fast.
    I wonder if there is a "data off" that doesn't mean "turn off 3G" but turn off ALL data and push items?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    OK, so I understand the data toggle, but if I buy the ATT Pre and take it to China, I need to be able to turn off ALL data (as in the iPhone), so that I don't run up a bill into the stratosphere. Even if the phone is on 2G, it can still download data, albeit not as fast.
    I wonder if there is a "data off" that doesn't mean "turn off 3G" but turn off ALL data and push items?

TIA
    There is an option to completely switch off data. Go into the app menu of the phone app (downswipe from the upper-left corner) and look around. There's one option that lets you toggle between 2G / 3G / Auto and another that lets you toggle data use on/off.

I think your bigger problem is gonna be getting any EVDO signal in China. There's only a handful of countries that have adopted EVDO, GSM is the de-facto standard in most of the world now.
    siiigh yes this helps, but what really needs to be done is

1) optimize the device (or get new hardware) to make it more battery friendly
    or
    2) bigger battery.

Saying turn off data is like saying "turn off your car to save gas". while in reality the practical thing to do is give it a bigger gas tank.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    A couple days ago I came across the best battery saving thread on this board. I've been searching for it ever since to give kudos where kudos are due. Since I haven't been able to find it, I guess passing along the tip is the next best thing.

To turn off 3G but leave data on:
    1. Open your contacts and make a new contact with phone number ##3836#.
    2. Open the phone, find the contact and dial the "number".
    3. Up pops an EVDO Mode screen. Tap the Data Mode box and select '1xRTT only'.
    4. Select save.

This stops your phone from switching between 3G and whatever 1x is if you're in an area without a consistent, strong 3G signal. The switch apparently draws tons of power and it will constantly do it whether you're using the phone or not.

Web and email access is a little slower, but for me, the extra (a lot of extra) battery life is more than worth it. You can switch back and forth anytime by just dialing the number. (I'm on a Verizon Pre Plus and this is the only way I know to manually switch off 3G.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    siiigh yes this helps, but what really needs to be done is

1) optimize the device (or get new hardware) to make it more battery friendly
    or
    2) bigger battery.

Saying turn off data is like saying "turn off your car to save gas". while in reality the practical thing to do is give it a bigger gas tank.
    I'd say its more like: Don't floor it at every intersection

A couple people have mentioned (and true for me too) that at home and work, there is wifi. I leave evdo off, because I am 95% on wifi anyway. With the device menu patch, turning on/off data is super quick.

I think a patch that automatically turns on data when YOU (not some background process) tries to use internet when there is no wifi would be real neat.

also, if you know your way around town, turn off gps.

I used to be around 5-8% drain per hour with everything on (but otherwise idle), and now it is under 3% with evdo and gps off.
    is 1x the same as 2g? my phone switches between threeg and 1x all tbe time. another question i have is the data toggle patch quick at switxhing between 2g and 3g?
    nobody??
    Pretty sure the 1x symbol you see is you using "2G". And as far as I know, the data toggle on the phone turns off data completely. You can only receive/make calls and send/receive text messages. Your MMS messages will be delayed until you turn data back on.
    Maybe someone needs to come up with a patch to allow 3G/1x quick toggling from the right menu. When I'm at work, my 3G isn't very strong, so this may be happening at times when I don't notice it. Sure would be fun to experiment. The dialer contact trick above would work, but it clearly takes a little more work to do it that way.
    How about a patch that turns 3g on and off every 1,2,... hours for X minutes and then turns it off again. Then setup e-mail to coordinate with on-off. Seems like something Palm should provide to reduce battery use?
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast