Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Truthfully, the 3G radio is primary killer for the battery. The difference of full bars to one bar can equate to about a 20% difference per hour (no proof, but point taken). If you don't mind no internet, then it is a excellent solution.

    Considering that, the CPU overclock kernels most likely have little impact of battery life in comparison.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by preluctance View Post
    A couple days ago I came across the best battery saving thread on this board. I've been searching for it ever since to give kudos where kudos are due. Since I haven't been able to find it, I guess passing along the tip is the next best thing.

    To turn off 3G but leave data on:
    1. Open your contacts and make a new contact with phone number ##3836#.
    2. Open the phone, find the contact and dial the "number".
    3. Up pops an EVDO Mode screen. Tap the Data Mode box and select '1xRTT only'.
    4. Select save.

    This stops your phone from switching between 3G and whatever 1x is if you're in an area without a consistent, strong 3G signal. The switch apparently draws tons of power and it will constantly do it whether you're using the phone or not.

    Web and email access is a little slower, but for me, the extra (a lot of extra) battery life is more than worth it. You can switch back and forth anytime by just dialing the number. (I'm on a Verizon Pre Plus and this is the only way I know to manually switch off 3G.)
    "quick system tasks" has a data plan switch that allows you to input the data mode without adding contacts etc. I opened that task and it said "hybrid rev a"....i haven't ried it ut I assume i'd type in 1xRTT And save it, then when my 3g is flashing on then off on then off ( I live at the edge of rural and urban) and battery is draining in the 30% per hour i'll just toggle between them.
  3. #23  
    I use a program that allows me to change and customize modes depending either my phone is charging or on the go... for example Default mode i customized - no roaming data, and 2G only, while on Touchstone - IM services turn on, Wi-fi on , etc... and i added Powersave mode which i adjusted to automatically turn off all data 2G/3G when my battery drains down to 25 %... Try this program and u r gonna love it! there r so many options to customize !!! i put lower brightness screen on touchstone when i go to bed, lower ringtones... when i put my phone in the car on charge it turns clock app automatically and pandora, does not turn off screen while charging and turns bluetooth service automatically as well... WEB OS ROCKS !!! THIS IS THE MOST DYNAMICALLY GROWIN SYSTEM AS FOR NOW !!! IPHONE DOES NOT EVEN GROW LIKE THAT !!!
  4. #24  
    and one question dear users! i see on my phone top bar screen EV sign - does i mean 2G all the time, and when it is 3 G it will appear 3G ? Thank you !
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    "quick system tasks" has a data plan switch that allows you to input the data mode without adding contacts etc. I opened that task and it said "hybrid rev a"....i haven't tried it but I assume i'd type in 1xRTT And save it, then when my 3g is flashing on then off on then off ( I live at the edge of rural and urban) and battery is draining in the 30% per hour i'll just toggle between them.
    i went and played with the data plan settings... you just tap on the type and QST brings up a selection of 1xRTT, EVDO only etc. this threadexplains the modes pretty good (mostly sprint, but most holds true) fantomass must be using "mode switcher"....
  6. #26  
    and one question dear users! i see on my phone top bar screen EV sign - does i mean 2G all the time, and when it is 3 G it will appear 3G ? Thank you !
  7. #27  
    I'm currently working on a way to enable data when the display is on and turn it off when the display is off, however it seems that with 1.4.1 headless apps using services won't return the values or even run in the background like wanted. My other options include binding it to a slider event. Like: slider up, enable data, slider down, display an alert in which you can select a timeout for your data to turn off, say 5, 10, or 15 minutes.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by srath16 View Post
    i'm currently working on a way to enable data when the display is on and turn it off when the display is off, however it seems that with 1.4.1 headless apps using services won't return the values or even run in the background like wanted. My other options include binding it to a slider event. Like: Slider up, enable data, slider down, display an alert in which you can select a timeout for your data to turn off, say 5, 10, or 15 minutes.
    this would be great man !!!
  9. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #29  
    I would also have to add my two cents. Disabling 3G dramatically increases my battery life. Rather than going hours without having to charge, I can go for a couple of days without charging. If you need to save battery life, this is the way to do it.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    this would be great man !!!
    This would be AWESOME!
  11. #31  
    yeah, currently I have an app that turns on and off data every hour for 5 minutes, in order to receive emails and such. If anyone is interested I will post it. It turns it on even if the phone is not in use.
  12. #32  
    Why not have it switch to 1x when the screen is off and 3G when the screen is on?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13. #33  
    1x is always connected and you still have a battery drainage issue, though maybe way less than that of 3g, toggling between 3g and 1x is nearly no difference for minor data tasks. It just seems easier to enable data when in use and disable it when not.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by srath16 View Post
    1x is always connected and you still have a battery drainage issue, though maybe way less than that of 3g, toggling between 3g and 1x is nearly no difference for minor data tasks. It just seems easier to enable data when in use and disable it when not.
    There is a big difference between 1x and 3G. 1x only has one channel open where 3G has multiple bonded channels.

    Turn off 3G and use 1x all day and tell me your battery isn't better.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by preluctance View Post
    A couple days ago I came across the best battery saving thread on this board. I've been searching for it ever since to give kudos where kudos are due. Since I haven't been able to find it, I guess passing along the tip is the next best thing.

    To turn off 3G but leave data on:
    1. Open your contacts and make a new contact with phone number ##3836#.
    2. Open the phone, find the contact and dial the "number".
    3. Up pops an EVDO Mode screen. Tap the Data Mode box and select '1xRTT only'.
    4. Select save.

    This stops your phone from switching between 3G and whatever 1x is if you're in an area without a consistent, strong 3G signal. The switch apparently draws tons of power and it will constantly do it whether you're using the phone or not.

    Web and email access is a little slower, but for me, the extra (a lot of extra) battery life is more than worth it. You can switch back and forth anytime by just dialing the number. (I'm on a Verizon Pre Plus and this is the only way I know to manually switch off 3G.)
    I do something similar, but I switch it to EVDO Rev 0, which for some reason doesn't search as much as Rev A with similar performance. This helped me out during a recent blackout in my town where we had no power for almost 4 days. Give it a try.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  16. matics's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #36  
    FYI - With 2G (or 2.5G) CDMA 1X, simultaneous voice and data is not possible. Might want to consider that if you're tempted to switch from 3G down to 2G.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Turn off 3G and use 1x all day and tell me your battery isn't better.
    I was simply saying that if you always want to be connected you could just constantly use a 1x connection rather than toggling 3g. With the display off, why would it be necessary to be always connnected to data even when you're not paying attention to it? You could leave your phone dislay off, data off and ensure little to no battery drain rather than having data connected at all and some form of battery drainage.
  18. #38  
    I know it's a moot point, but it sure would have been nice if Palm had made a halfway decent battery, so we wouldn't have to jump through hoops to ensure we can make it through a day without topping off the battery two or three times. It's particularly painful for me, since I switched to my Pre Plus from a Blackberry Storm. While that phone has a pretty crappy OS in many ways (particularly compared to WebOS) the BB hardware is hard to beat. With everything cranked up I was able to finish the day with 50-60% battery remaining.

    Maybe I could port WebOS over to my Storm?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by srath16 View Post
    I was simply saying that if you always want to be connected you could just constantly use a 1x connection rather than toggling 3g. With the display off, why would it be necessary to be always connnected to data even when you're not paying attention to it? You could leave your phone dislay off, data off and ensure little to no battery drain rather than having data connected at all and some form of battery drainage.
    Push e-mail, IM, Facebook notifications, etc.. These apps need an always on connection.

    All I am saying is the EVDO radio uses more power than the 1x radio. Most data being sent over the radio when the phone is idle is minimal, and doesn't need the bandwidth of EVDO The exceptions being streaming audio which you will use with the screen off.

    The only thing I am not sure of is the difference in power usage between the EVDO radio and 1x radio when idle.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  20. #40  
    i too use mode switcher and i have a mode for at work triggered by the gps -- when i am there i turn off all data as there is no wifi and the 3g is horrible -- since doing this my battery drain has dropped for 15% an hour to 6% -
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

    Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

    My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions