1.    #1  
    I have been reading posts on this website since the first Palm Pre came out. I have done some searching on the forum about the issue I have, but I do not see anyone that have had this same issue.

Here is my problem: I am on my 5th Palm Pre. My first one would shut off on me for no reason, 2nd one, the keyboard stopped working. The 3rd one is where I started to experience the issue I have now. I had my 3rd phone for about 2 months or so and everything was working fine. Then about a few weeks before 1.4 came out, I noticed when I was on a phone call with someone, I would get static for a brief few seconds. After that it would go back to the person talking like nothing happened. The end user would not hear anything different and they would not know anything had happened. I would then have to ask the end user to repeat what they said. This could happen a few times during one 5 minute phone call. At first I thought this had to do something with where I was talking with someone (singal coveragewise). I had all full bars and I then noticed that it just wasn't happening in one location, it was happening in other places as well that I was at. Yes, I do have some patches on it, but only about 6 or so. I know my issue has nothing to do with the patches, because as soon as I got my current Pre (5th one) I experienced the same brief static on calls within a few short days of getting it. I didn't patch my latest one for a few weeks. I have also doctored my phone with the same results. This brief static is like the static you would get from a walkie talkie after you press the button for talking. My last 2 Pre's have the same issue and there manufactured/refurbished date is 2 or more months apart, so that kind of rules out a bad batch or at least from the same batch. The first one I had with this issue, Sprint Repair Store got me a refurbished one and claimed mine had a bad earpiece.

I really like the Palm Pre and WebOS, it can do so much for an individual. What I am wondering is: 1. is anyone else having an issue like this? 2. Am I crazy for going through this many Pre's? I have no problems returning them and getting a new one, as I have not had any issues doing so. I know most people would be saying to just get a new phone, but I don't like any of the phones that Sprint has in there lineup. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    is it possible that your face is rubbing against the mic? it will make a 'static' type sound if you do so.
    i get that to.. and it's me barley rubbing up against the mic.... while on a call gently rub/tap the mic.. and your hear what i hear.. i think it may not be the greatest placement.

But also lately... on a seperate but similar issue when this was happening.. i noticed recently that my phone was going in and out of headset mode, also causing a clicking/muting sound...
    Well for me...whenever im on a call for a longtime, the person im talking to voice starts to fade away some how and then it comes back,then it breaks up again. Im not sure if its because im always roaming inside the house, but it happens everytime im on a call for long and most of the time, im roaming.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Fading sound levels could be because the speaker is not centered on your ear. I found this happening except when I use a headset. Then I discovered I could do it on purpose.

Static, who knows, could be rubbing but may not be. I tend to get more static on voicemail calls (calling my voicemail).

The microphone placement is for right handed use if that helps at all.
    Dan
  6.    #6  
    I went ahead and just did some quick test calls between my Pre phone and desk phone and I was hitting the mic area to see if that is the issue. What I noticed was that while it made a noise on my end, it also made noise on the desk phone (far end user's side). So I am not sure that is the issue because the people that are on the other end when it happens say they don't hear anything.
    Another way to describe the static is when you are walking and you have a metal structure in front of you that is just enough to quickly scramble your signal, like multipath distortion.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Fading sound levels could be because the speaker is not centered on your ear. I found this happening except when I use a headset. Then I discovered I could do it on purpose.

Static, who knows, could be rubbing but may not be. I tend to get more static on voicemail calls (calling my voicemail).

The microphone placement is for right handed use if that helps at all.
    I use the original Plam Pre headphones during calls. So basically, i connect the headphone to the Pre so i can hear what the person is say and i reply them through the phone mic. Sometimes the person keeps talking and i cant hear them, but i have a strong 4-5 bars (roaming mostly) and then sometimes the person cant hear me. i dont know what the issue is but its really annoying.
  8.    #8  
    Took my phone to a different Sprint repair store and they ran some tests on it and verified that my phone failed the radio tests, which was causing the brief static. I asked the Sprint rep how come the other store I went to couldn't tell me that or find that as the culprit. He mentioned that some stores had more testing equipment available than others.
    Thanks for everyone that helped and gave me some suggestions. Hopefully this one will not do the same thing for me as the last few.