Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I cannot beleive people would rather have a sony ecerison phone then a palm..that company hasnt made a decent phone in America in 3 years.. Palm just doesnt have the presense outside of the North America

Retail: Palm Pre sales a 'disaster'

April 27, 2010
    Store staff in Carphone Warehouse and O2 shops claim sales of Palm Pre device have been terrible

Palm Pre sales have been a disaster, claim staff in O2 and Carphone Warehouse stores. This follows news that Palm is to be put up for sale. Many stores have registering zero sales.

An O2 spokesperson said: “Palm Pre sales are in line with our expectations.”

But one store manager said “Our store has sold hardly any Palm Pres, It never stood a chance against the iPhone and they both advertise themselves as doing the same things”.

A Carphone staffer added: “It is a good device but it doesn’t really have a place in the market. No one knows who Palm is. So Nokia, Sony Ericsson and the iPhone will always be preferred.”

The Pre is available exclusively on O2 contracts. It was also launched on a premium £35 per month tariff but has since become free on all tariffs to “shift stock” staff claim.

According to O2 forums, sales were so low many smaller stores stopped selling the Pre. Other shop staff have reported software and hardware issues including freezing, poor battery life, and faults with its slide track.

Retail: Palm Pre sales a ‘disaster’ - Mobile News
    poor palm...now they know that in order to regain their spot in the smart phone market,they have to make better hardware,and step up on performance. Still loving my pre though.
    This going-with-a-carrier thingy may work in the US (because of weird laws, excessive subsidy, etc.?). But Palm should do what Apple did with the iPhone, allow their phones to waft in via the grey market.

The iPhone was seen here (India) in considerable numbers within a short time (weeks?) after its launch. The excitement was there and it caught everyone's fancy. The Pre, on the other hand is now around a year and a half old. Who wants that?
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    This going-with-a-carrier thingy may work in the US (because of weird laws, excessive subsidy, etc.?). But Palm should do what Apple did with the iPhone, allow their phones to waft in via the grey market.

The iPhone was seen here (India) in considerable numbers within a short time (weeks?) after its launch. The excitement was there and it caught everyone's fancy. The Pre, on the other hand is now around a year and a half old. Who wants that?
    hmm, the pre a year and a half old? Wrong forum for trolling.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    ... The iPhone was seen here (India) in considerable numbers within a short time (weeks?) after its launch. The excitement was there and it caught everyone's fancy. The Pre, on the other hand is now around a year and a half old. Who wants that?
    BZZZZZZZZT!!! Next contestant please.

You have incorrect information. The Pre was released on June 6, 2009. It is now April 27, 2010. It has only been available for a bit under 11 months at this point in time.

I know I received my launch day Pre on 6/6/2009 (IE not even a year old). I'm pretty sure it didn't go international for a while after that. Nice try kid.
    ... The iPhone was seen here (India) in considerable numbers within a short time (weeks?) after its launch. The excitement was there and it caught everyone's fancy. The Pre, on the other hand is now around a year and a half old. Who wants that?
    BZZZZZZZZT!!! Next contestant please.

You have incorrect information. The Pre was released on June 6, 2009. It is now April 27, 2010. The Pre has only been available for about 11 months at this point in time.
    The pre would sell a lot better in the uk if o2 staff and carphone warhouse staff actually had the slightest clue about the device, they are clueless so ofcourse there have been bad sales.
    Don't be ridiculous, all.

GreenHex clearly means that the Pre has been a known public commodity for a year and a half. The time it's been on the market (since June 6) isn't that relevant. To some, the Sony Xperia X10 Android phone is old news already even though it's just barely launched overseas because it was announced last November, and won't hit the US for a few months.

Same goes for the Pre. It's been a known commodity for about 17 months. Any region it launches in now that keeps up with tech happenings...it's going to seem rather stale.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I thought sales in Germany were good.
    If a phone was not available to my country I definitely wouldn't pay any attention to it until it was actually available.
    Palm has done very badly in the UK, regardless of what O2's official statement is. But I think it's only a matter of time - Palm doesn't have to conquer the market in order to survive and thrive. The longer WebOS is around and the more devices run it, the more people will start to use it.

These things take time I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't be ridiculous, all.

GreenHex clearly means that the Pre has been a known public commodity for a year and a half. The time it's been on the market (since June 6) isn't that relevant. To some, the Sony Xperia X10 Android phone is old news already even though it's just barely launched overseas because it was announced last November, and won't hit the US for a few months.

Same goes for the Pre. It's been a known commodity for about 17 months. Any region it launches in now that keeps up with tech happenings...it's going to seem rather stale.
    Fine... The iPhone was announced in September 2006 and has been available in one form or another since June 2007. That fact doesn't seem to have hurt iPhone sales any. Must be some other reason the Pre isn't selling.
    The advertising here in the UK has been poor. I can't recall seeing an ad for a Palm Pre anywhere.

I only heard about the Pre from watching feeds of NFL games online, otherwise I'd have no idea about it.

Also it doesn't look particularly striking, when I first saw it in the O2 store I was very underwhelmed, Its only when I had a play around with it that I saw how great it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Fine... The iPhone was announced in September 2006 and has been available in one form or another since June 2007. That fact doesn't seem to have hurt iPhone sales any. Must be some other reason the Pre isn't selling.
    iPhone was refreshed with new data chipset, more storage and apps 12 months after launch.
    Then refreshed with more powerful guts, even more storage, compass, and a significant OS update with lots of new features (e.g. copy/paste, 3G tethering, Spotlight, Voice command, etc., lots of new APIs) 24 months after launch. Every 6 months there is either a huge OS update or refreshed hardware.

Pre was refreshed with more memory and storage 7 months after launch, and new features like Gameloft 3D games and video recording around the same time. Oh, and a new gimped model...the Pixi with crappier screen, camera, and chipset.

You really wanna compare the two?
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    hmm, the pre a year and a half old? Wrong forum for trolling.
    At this point I'd call YOU the troll. Folks like you are more into killing the messenger than hearing and ACCEPTING the facts of the matter.

Palm's in dire straits. That's a fact. Evidenced by the concerns and stories surrounding takeovers and buyouts or just plain bankruptcy. Acknowledging that and stating it here is not the action of a troll but that of a realist.

Its not about how you want things or wish things to be, but how they truly are that is relevant.

Refusing to accept how things really are or disparaging those who report truths is ridiculous. THAT is troll behavior. So therefore, you sir, and those who post like you in this forum, are the trolls.

Get comfortable with it.
    02 in the UK didn't do a thing to sell them...no advertisement, not anywhere...and all they did was selling their Iphoney thing...O2 Germany was a bit different though...and now watch Vodafone Germany get into it...they really need to put some effort in it and it'll work...no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ... You really wanna compare the two?
    Not particularly. My point was that familiarity is most likely not the reason for weak sales in Europe or elsewhere. So pvfffftttt!!!
    I know you are, but....

Hey...wait a minute!
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    At this point I'd call YOU the troll. Folks like you are more into killing the messenger than hearing and ACCEPTING the facts of the matter..
    lol, I was responding to THE FACT that the pre hasn't been out a year an a half. It always takes a troll to defend another.

by the way, I never have said that Palms not in trouble? What facts do you speak of?
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast