1.    #1  
    So I was thinking. It's my opinion that the Pre plus is still the best smart phone on the market right now. The Incredible is about to come close, but I wouldn't trade my Pre for it. Granted, I am comparing it to my 800MHz pre with homebrew loving, but I consider that part of the phones capabilities.

So, in my humble opinion the Pre is the best phone on the market. Now when you factor in "bang for your buck", holy crap it dominates. Two Pre pluses for $50? It's a steal for one, but with the BoGo offer it's just off the charts dripping with value.

So what does everyone think? A phone with the features of the Pre, priced like that. Is it the best value you've ever seen for a phone?
    It's a great phone & a good deal as long as you get a "good one" :P

I'm convincing a co-worker right now that grabbing a Pre is a good bang-for-your-buck phone, and am trying to make sure the one she gets will behave itself, no excessive oreo, etc
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Two pre's for $50 and free mobile hotspot from verizon = best value ever, IMO.
    +1 ftw
  5.    #5  
    Forgot about the free mobile hotspot. Crazy value.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenj View Post
    Two pre's for $50 and free mobile hotspot from verizon = best value ever, IMO.
    yup.
    Guess you guys don't factor in the monthly Verizon charges for two lines of unlimited data. Bye bye, bang for your buck.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Guess you guys don't factor in the monthly Verizon charges for two lines of unlimited data. Bye bye, bang for your buck.
    I'm going to disagree with this post, because any real competition to the Pre is on either AT&T or Verizon anyways. Can't get an iphone, Droid, or Incredible on a sprint plan either.

I will agree though that this type of deal on Sprint would be even better.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    And then factor in not needing another internet provider for our home. Welcome back, bang for the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    I'm going to disagree with this post, because any real competition to the Pre is on either AT&T or Verizon anyways. Can't get an iphone, Droid, or Incredible on a sprint plan either.

I will agree though that this type of deal on Sprint would be even better.
    Sooooo, you would just get the Sprint Pre, have less memory, but save far, far more than the $100 or $200 (if you're doing BOGO) over the course of your contract, plus get free navigation and TV.

Also, using a tethered Pre with Verizon 3G for your home internet up to 5GB? No thanks. I've seen speed reports all over the place, including as low as 100kbps. I'm sure it works for some people, but I don't think my wife only wants to surf the internet, download files or watch YouTube videos when I'm home.
    So I was thinking. It's my opinion that the Pre plus is still the best smart phone on the market right now. The Incredible is about to come close, but I wouldn't trade my Pre for it. Granted, I am comparing it to my 800MHz pre with homebrew loving, but I consider that part of the phones capabilities.

So, in my humble opinion the Pre is the best phone on the market. Now when you factor in "bang for your buck", holy crap it dominates. Two Pre pluses for $50? It's a steal for one, but with the BoGo offer it's just off the charts dripping with value.

So what does everyone think? A phone with the features of the Pre, priced like that. Is it the best value you've ever seen for a phone?
    I agree with you, though I bought my 8 gig pre for 200. But I still love my launch day pre as it's still running strong coming up to the 1 year anniversary.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Also, using a tethered Pre with Verizon 3G for your home internet up to 5GB? No thanks. I've seen speed reports all over the place, including as low as 100kbps. I'm sure it works for some people, but I don't think my wife only wants to surf the internet, download files or watch YouTube videos when I'm home.
    Well actually, with 2 phones that gives us 10GB/month, more then enough even with the occasional Netflix stream and with an average of 1.8Mbps it streams just fine.
    Amazon has 1 palm pre plus for $0.01 with a 2 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePlus79 View Post
    Well actually, with 2 phones that gives us 10GB/month, more then enough even with the occasional Netflix stream and with an average of 1.8Mbps it streams just fine.
    Fascinating. Not to doubt the veracity of what you say, but the top average Verizon speeds in PC World's February testing in 13 cities averaged at less than half of what you claim. You must live in a Super Verizon zone.

Meanwhile, your phone is inoperable every time you browse. I'm glad it works for you (apparently, better than virtually anyone else in the country), but this is hardly achievable by most Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus owners.
  15.    #15  
    Sooooo, you would just get the Sprint Pre, have less memory, but save far, far more than the $100 or $200 (if you're doing BOGO) over the course of your contract, plus get free navigation and TV.

I think you are either largely missing the point, or just deciding to argue it regardless. I'm on Sprint myself, because of the contract cost. Name a better deal that Verizon has ever had though. Because when you get down to it, it's obviously upfront cost that matters to most people. Otherwise Sprint would be doing much better.

As for using the hotspot for your home internet. I didn't make that point so please don't talk about it under a quote from me. I would never go that route. Mobile hot spot is a fantastic bonus and could come in handy at times. That's it though imo.

Either way, you're arguing Pre total cost on one carrier, I'm praising the WOW factor of the deal on another. We're both talking Pre though, so go Palm!
    Because when you get down to it, it's obviously upfront cost that matters to most people. Otherwise Sprint would be doing much better.
    Brother...on this we are so very agreed. Sprint needs to wake up and start eating the upfront costs. So many of their smartphones - except for the Pixi - are more expensive than same model on a competing carrier. The Hero...the Pre...the Blackberry 8530...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Fascinating. Not to doubt the veracity of what you say, but the top average Verizon speeds in PC World's February testing in 13 cities averaged at less than half of what you claim. You must live in a Super Verizon zone.
    According to the charts you mention the average speeds on Verizon in my area are 1.2Mbps, certainly not half of the speed I test at, and more then adequate to run a home network on.

And why yes it does work well for us answering the OP question of is the the best value available.
    Again....I take you at your word. If I was getting 1.8mbps AVERAGE from my 3G wireless, I woul....no, wait. There's still the issue of running your phone being inoperable every time you jump online.

Well, that's an issue to me. Glad your situation works for you. Awesome results there.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Right, not for us, and even at the posted 1.2Mbps it works very well.