Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    So the other day I was up on my roof cleaning out my gutters when I had the great idea to climb up to the peak of the roof and take a couple of "Before" pictures of my back yard. Since we are having our trees cut down tomorrow, I just thought it would be neat to have some before and after pictures. Plus it's just hard to get an idea of how small my yard really is and I figured this perspective would help.

Well I snapped the pictures without any incident but when I went to stick the phone back in my pocket I fumbled it just a little and it slipped out of my hand... and then proceeded to slide, FACE DOWN, from the top of the roof all the way down the asphalt shingles. It then hit a tiny lip above the gutter and flew through the air and left a tiny impact crater in the ground where it landed... luckily missing the sidewalk and a tree root by just inches.

As it was sliding down the roof I wisely decided not to attempt to chase it, realizing the damage had already been done, still I don't think I have ever felt so helpless in my life just watching my phone sliding down the roof. I know that might sound ridiculous since it's just a phone, but it is(was) in all honesty probably one of the nicest things I own. Well once it hit the ground I immediately called my wife over to see if she could assess the carnage.

Apparently it is fine! Well it is tore up and scratched and gouged to hell but still fully functional, the screen is not cracked and the slider actually felt a little better... Not that I would recommend this method of adjusting it. I must say I did not expect it to be in such good overall condition, especially with visions of cracked screens dancing in my head.

However, even though it was relatively unscathed, this now raises my other dilemma. The speaker on my phone barely makes any sound... It's been like this for a few weeks and I have been meaning to go to the sprint store to try and have it replaced under warranty. However now that it looks like I have been using the screen as a furniture slider on my driveway, I am just wondering if there is any hope that they will still let me claim this as a warranty problem. Or are they going to take one look at it and tell me that I obviously damaged it and to get lost... And of course I don't have insurance (or a screen protector) on the phone... That would just make entirely too much sense.

So I say all this to ask, what do you guys think? Is there any hope to get it replaced, or should I just not even waste my time at the Sprint store and start saving up my pennies now so that I can buy a replacement Pre from eBay or something? Thanks in advance.
    Do you have insurance? For the $100 fee ,you can get it replaced
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

I'd say its alway worth it to try taking it in.. worst case, they wont replace it.

don't send it to palm, since they most likely have some way of telling (aside from the complete obvious appearance of a dropped phone) via accelerometer data that it had infact been dropped.. and the way palm seems to work, is they send you a replacement, and you then send back your junker.. if they find its not fit for warranty, they bill you for the new(er) one..
    Doubtful they would replace it under warranty, but, if you go in and explain you may end up with someone who believes you and replaces it.

However, if you go in with a "bad attitude" demanding that it be replaced get ready to be turned down.

BTW, I hope they got the trees out without damage! Had some neighbors who were having a tree removed and the messed up and sent the top third of the tree through their roof into their living room...
    call support about the speaker. They won't be able to see it...

also. Put a Zagg on the next ome. Ot would ha e prevented any dammage from the shingles scraping.
    I dropped mine off my belt while riding my motorcycle, and the case I had it on must have come off, cause when I rode back to find it, the top of it was scraped along with the touchstone back. The smooth pebble like form disguised it as a rock on the roadway until I could find it....it worked fine, though, till I blew the circuit board with the 600 scaling patch from preware....of course sprint claimed it was my Seido battery (1350, which I still use and I had to pay the 100.00 deductable....
    since you stated that you don't have insurance, going to a sprint store is going to be a complete waste of time. i suggest contacting palm and explaining your situation to them.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    I'd say its alway worth it to try taking it in.. worst case, they wont replace it.

don't send it to palm, since they most likely have some way of telling (aside from the complete obvious appearance of a dropped phone) via accelerometer data that it had infact been dropped.. and the way palm seems to work, is they send you a replacement, and you then send back your junker.. if they find its not fit for warranty, they bill you for the new(er) one..
    Thanks for the advice, and yeah I was definately planning on just bringing it into a store and see what the reps say. I've heard about Palm charging people full price for replacement phones and i'm not going to tempt fate on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Doubtful they would replace it under warranty, but, if you go in and explain you may end up with someone who believes you and replaces it.

However, if you go in with a "bad attitude" demanding that it be replaced get ready to be turned down.

BTW, I hope they got the trees out without damage! Had some neighbors who were having a tree removed and the messed up and sent the top third of the tree through their roof into their living room...
    Yeah, that's basically what I was going to do, just go in there and tell them the truth. I don't have any reason to lie about what happened. Plus this would be the second time I have had to have my phone replaced for the exact same reason. Hopefully that will help my case since my last phone I had replaced was immaculate. I used to clean it inside and out on a weekly basis and carry it in it's little felt pouch. This one got used a little harder but it was still in very good shape before this happened, just a little more dirty.

Oh and I am always polite when dealing with Customer Service people. As someone who also works in a form of customer service I know for a fact that I am much more likely to try and help someone out who is polite and has a good attitude than someone who acts rude or demanding.

Yeah I am a little nervous about this too but they guys that we hired have been doing this a long time and although they told us that it is going to be a little rough they can get it done, no problem. Still all the same I'll be taking anything valuable out of the room closest to the trees... which of course is my bedroom. Just for kicks I'll post my after picture too... which I'll be taking with my 6 year old POS digital camera this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    call support about the speaker. They won't be able to see it...

also. Put a Zagg on the next ome. Ot would ha e prevented any dammage from the shingles scraping.
    I thought about trying that too but I don't want to end up in the same boat as if I were to send it back to Palm. Basically come back and tell me after I get a replacement that I damaged it then charge me for a new phone. Also I don't know how much those covers... cover but there are some actual gouges in the top and sides too and I'm not sure if it could have prevented those. Although I'm sure the screen would have been in much better shape.

The sad part is the only reason I want to replace it is still because of the speaker. If I had done this to my phone and everything was still working normally I probably would have been a little upset but just shrugged it off and kept rocking a scratched up phone. Unfortunately though I am just tired of missing phone calls and another option if they will not replace the phone might just be to do a little surgery and replace the speaker myself. I have heard that a Centro speaker will fit and work with just a little modification. I mean shoot as long as the warranty is void anyway, why not, I'm not afraid to do a little electronic surgery when necessary.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    since you stated that you don't have insurance, going to a sprint store is going to be a complete waste of time. i suggest contacting palm and explaining your situation to them.

This is the second phone that the speaker has gone out on for me and they replaced the last one at a Sprint store without any problems and at no cost to me... But that phone also looked basically brand new.

I'm going to try bringing this one back to the same people and see if they remember that I have had a problem with this happening in the past and might be willing to overlook the damage. Shoot I may just see if they can repair it there and pay whatever that costs.
    fyi, the material they use for Zagg and similar protectors is used on the leading edge of aircraft wings. It is amazingly strong stuff.

It won't keep your phone from breaking if you drop it on your driveway or put it in a blender. But if you slide it across your driveway like a hockey puck or let it slide over a shingled roof, it will definitely prevent scratches. I am amazed at what I've put my Pre+ through and I have only managed to create one minor scratch on my zagg, and it's not visible unless I really look for it.

I tend to stick my phone in my pants pocket, forgetting that there are keys and other things that like to scratch. I'm amazed at what the zagg has taken without getting scratched. And unless the skin is scratched all the way through - or punctured, I know my screen is still scratch free. These skin vendors offer a lifetime guaranty, so if I every do scratch the skin (or have to replace my phone for any reason - including dropping it off a roof) they will send me another zagg for my replacement phone. That is true of many of the similar products, as well.

So even if you have to buy the replacement phone, I recommend you put a screen protector on it.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwlkr45 View Post
    till I blew the circuit board with the 600 scaling patch from preware
    How did you blow the circuit board with the scaling patch???
    Wow, great story. This is just the type of thing I would do if I didn't have insurance. Glad to hear it survived the trip though. Unfortunately, I suspect they will take one look at the phone and blame the speaker problem on the fall. Hopefully you will be lucky.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    fyi, the material they use for Zagg and similar protectors is used on the leading edge of aircraft wings. It is amazingly strong stuff.

It won't keep your phone from breaking if you drop it on your driveway or put it in a blender. But if you slide it across your driveway like a hockey puck or let it slide over a shingled roof, it will definitely prevent scratches. I am amazed at what I've put my Pre+ through and I have only managed to create one minor scratch on my zagg, and it's not visible unless I really look for it.

I tend to stick my phone in my pants pocket, forgetting that there are keys and other things that like to scratch. I'm amazed at what the zagg has taken without getting scratched. And unless the skin is scratched all the way through - or punctured, I know my screen is still scratch free. These skin vendors offer a lifetime guaranty, so if I every do scratch the skin (or have to replace my phone for any reason - including dropping it off a roof) they will send me another zagg for my replacement phone. That is true of many of the similar products, as well.

So even if you have to buy the replacement phone, I recommend you put a screen protector on it.

Thank you for the glowing endorsement of the Zagg protector! If I am able to get a new (or refurbished) phone out of the deal I'll definately be investing in something like this for the next one. For what it's worth we have one on my wife's phone, but that was just mainly because she likes to leave it where our son (almost 2years old) can get to it and that was definately just some good cheap insurance. If I can't get a new phone I guess there would be no point in getting a screen protector now though, since the damage has already been done. Although I will most likely be getting it for my next phone whatever that may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    Plus this would be the second time I have had to have my phone replaced for the exact same reason.
    I hope you are meaning for a speaker issue and not "I was on my roof and dropped my Pre and it slide down the shingles and crashed to the ground."
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I hope you are meaning for a speaker issue and not "I was on my roof and dropped my Pre and it slide down the shingles and crashed to the ground."
    LOL! Yeah this is the second one to have the speaker die. I'm not usually very clumbsy so this was a rare moment for me.
    Let us know how it turns out - amazing how they always fall face down isn't it? If you are clumsy you might want to think twice about insurance - or a more sturdy phone! Hope it turns out ok.
    Just an FYI. Once you clean the face of the phone, you can try to put a Zagg skin on it. I had a few scratches on my Pre and put the Zagg on the face. All the scratches blended in. To this day I can't see any of them. I'm not saying that this will make your phone look better but for the 10.00 or so for the front protector it may work for you. Then you will only have the speaker issue. If you do try it, let us know how it turned out. Hey if it does work, at least if you can't resolve your speaker problem and take it to the store, the phone will not look like it fell from an airplane.

Nice picture by the way. One question though, what is the arched pole use for? A goal or something?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Let us know how it turns out - amazing how they always fall face down isn't it? If you are clumsy you might want to think twice about insurance - or a more sturdy phone! Hope it turns out ok.
    Yeah I actually remember saying something to that effect too once I realized what was happening. The sad part is that I have like 2 extra touchstone battery covers and the stock battery cover all squirreled away that I could have easily swapped out if it had just slid down face up instead.

Well right now my basic logic for not having the insurance is that I have a backup phone for the short term and I can pick up a used or refurbished Pre from eBay for about $150 verses the deductible for phone insurance is $100 and that extra $7 or whatever I'm not spending every month adds up to make up the difference pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Just an FYI. Once you clean the face of the phone, you can try to put a Zagg skin on it. I had a few scratches on my Pre and put the Zagg on the face. All the scratches blended in. To this day I can't see any of them. I'm not saying that this will make your phone look better but for the 10.00 or so for the front protector it may work for you. Then you will only have the speaker issue. If you do try it, let us know how it turned out. Hey if it does work, at least if you can't resolve your speaker problem and take it to the store, the phone will not look like it fell from an airplane.

Nice picture by the way. One question though, what is the arched pole use for? A goal or something?
    Honestly the scratches don't bug me too much now that they have been there for a few days, but it was a definite shock going from a perfect flawless phone to this. Honestly I am pretty happy with how well I have been able to keep up my Pre(s) in general since I have a history of killing cellphones in the past. I'm not a mechanic by trade or anything but I often find myself working on all kinds of cars, Motorcycles, bicycles, crawling in attics and crawl spaces... well you get the idea. Just in general not good environments for a phone to be in, so usually scratches and/or an unusually high level of wear and tear for my phones and other electronic devices is normal for me. So for now this phone will remain naked if nothing else but as a reminder to be more careful in the future and not to mention to provide an interesting conversation piece. That is unless I am fortunate enough to get a replacement, in which case I'll be installing some sort of screen protector ASAP.

Oh ad that bar... I have no idea honestly... It was there when we bought the house a couple of years back and I have just been using it as a pull-up bar, even though it's a little low for it. For what it's worth they guys taking down the trees told me that they will probably need to cut it down to get it out of the way... So that will probably be gone soon too.
    fell off the roof,,and still works? Sounds pretty sturdy to me. Great story.
    whiteboy182: maybe if warranty doesn't work out, try taking it to a small electronics repair place, see if they can repair the speaker unit. Normally I wouldn't suggest that but in this case you'd be out of warranty anyhow.

I know where I live, there's a mall with 2 cell phone repair places. ones a kiosk, and the other is just a regular storefront.