Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jurias
  • 1 Post By jac-3
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Just wanted to post that I received a replacement pre to replace the one I had that had developed problems with the slider, power button, and the USB crack which had spread to the screen.

The replacement which is refurbished and has a warranty date of august 2009 feels solid and much sturdier than my old pre. No problems with it after having it a few days. I had read all the horror stories about refurbished units and either I got lucky or the quality is much better than in the past. To be honest, the replacement feels like a different phone from my old one. This one feels like it could last longer than the first one.

I had debated on whether to switch to an android or blackberry device on Sprint or switch to Verizon and get an Droid Incredible. But I kept coming back to how much I liked webOS. The card metaphor just seems like a natural fit for a mobile device.

Does anyone know exactly what Asurion does when they refurb a phone? I suspect they take the electronics out if they are still good and put them in a new case.

Something I didn't realize was that tasks and memos are now backed up with the Palm Backup service. I was under the impression that they were not backed up with Palm's cloud. But after I got my phone setup, they were all there. Now they just need to get it to back up the call log and sms message history.
    Wish I knew what they did, but glad you got a "good one".

On the topic of backing up tasks/memos, I believe they have always done this. I had to visit the doctor way early in my Pre life and remember those coming back even then.

On the backup of SMS messages though, I am sure this is completely a design/space/bandwidth concern. My daughter, who texts like a fiend, could easily have thousands upon thousands of text messages that would have to be backed up, then with the potential of having photos and videos embedded within them this could become a logistical nightmare to try to back up OTA by Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    That replacement did not come from Asurion but your standard one year warranty. Asurion sends you a brand new phone and they only use it if there is physical damage or your one year warranty is up. In your case the phone is still under manufacture warranty.

At this point Asurion is only useful for physical damage or lost phone which has a $100 deductible but they do send a brand new phone.
    If you get a brand new one your lucky. Asurion and Advance Exchange through Sprint ASC are 99% refurbs.

What refurbs are though: Sometimes just bad part replaced, then they send it back to the "field" as a refurb. OR they are simply returned units from the 30 day return policy, as these units cannot be resold as brand new.

Now if quality control doesn't test them after they have been "refurbed" there is always that chance you'll get a lemon, and this does happen more often then not.
    Thats not true assurion only gives refurbs and trust me i know im on my 6th pre and i never used them for that reason.
    like I said those replacements do not come from Asurion. The device is still under manufacture warranty. I received a replacement from asurion and it was a brand new Pre in the box. When manufacture warranty is up that's when they will use asurion
    I recently had a replacement sent for the Pre that I dropped into a cup of green tea. Obviously, that wasn't a warranty replacement, and it was a refurb.

Now, it also had some problems, and so they sent me a new one to replace it. However, it's definitely their policy to send refurbs out when they have them regardless of whether it's warranty or physical damage/lost.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    like I said those replacements do not come from Asurion. The device is still under manufacture warranty. I received a replacement from asurion and it was a brand new Pre in the box. When manufacture warranty is up that's when they will use asurion
    you must not be familiar with manufacture warranty policy or asurion's.

the fact that you got a brand new pre was a fluke, this doesn't happen 99% of the time.

this would only happen when their refurb stock has been depleted, and the only stock left is new inventory, which isn't usually the case.

even if you send your phone direct to palm for warranty, they will send you back a refurb...

you are only guaranteed a BRAND NEW device if you have just a defect within 30 days of original purchase and only from the store you bought the phone from.
    if they come from the carrier, and it is within 30 days, it is usually a new one. Other than that, customer service at the carrier would need approval from a very senior executive to be able to send out a new phone. Even if they ran out of refurbs, they would take a new phone, but on a non-touchstone back, and send it to you as if it is a refurb.

I just got a refurb from verizon support because of the infamous keyboard repeat/skip problem. If looks brand new, but a quick check of the mfr date and warranty status that is burned into the ROM confirms that it is actually older than the phone I already had. I'm cool with that. It's tight, scratch free, and working great.

I've been with VZ for years, and mostly had Palm phones. They have always handled it the same way. New phone for 30 days, refurb after that. Replaced my Centro at least 5 times, always the same.

The one time I had a Treo replaced, I had to do it at the store because I couldn't wait for shipping. I was travelling and needed a phone right away. I had to drive 2 hours to the closest store that had one (they had just discontinued it for a newer model). They didn't have any refurbs on hand and only had a couple of new ones left. Recognizing that I had driven so far and was in such a bind because of my job, they got approval to give me a new one. But, they took it out of the box and only gave me the phone. No battery, no battery cover, etc. Replacement phones don't come with any accessories unless it is to replace a problem phone within 30 days.

That's why I always encourage people to be really picky for the first 30 days, and then just tolerate minor problems until it's worth the $50 to invoke the insurance replacement.

I had to pay the $50 for my last Centro replacement, but it was worth it just to have a working back-up in case my Pre+ breaks at a particularly bad moment. I can also charge my spare Pre battery in my Centro - which I think is pretty ironic.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I totaly got a new phone the first 2 times and nvr paid a cent. Both times through insurian.... Recently however both me and my girl got refurbs but still no charges for any of em. Make of it wat you will but whatever.... And when I say new=it came in a box with all accessories
    Last edited by sitonacid; 04/27/2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: forgot a part
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    I am 100% positive my replacement is a refurb.

I thought about going to Sprint and seeing about getting a replacement but because the screen was cracked extending from the USB port and that I had initially tried to superglue the crack when it first appeared, i knew they would say physical damage. BTW superglue did not keep the crack from spreading the the screen.

It might be true that going through Sprint or Palm now will get you a new in the box Pre, its probably not the case when going through Asurion.
    Asurion and Palm are not the same people. Asurion is the insurance company and only handle insurance claims.
    Yes, I know, and this thread is titled "Received replacement from Asurion."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    My Palm Pre also developed a crack. So, I immediately filed a claim with Asurion for a replacement. They told me they have to order a replacement Palm Pre because it is not in stock. So, I hope I don't dred this decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    My Palm Pre also developed a crack. So, I immediately filed a claim with Asurion for a replacement. They told me they have to order a replacement Palm Pre because it is not in stock. So, I hope I don't dred this decision.
    Always take it to a sprint repair center first to determine the type of defect/damage. no need to pay a deductible when maybe it was a factory flaw covered for free. Only the store will know this.

PS, way to take this thread back over a year! lol.
    You all know a refurb also could be a device that did not sell, dented box, store did not sell in in an allotted time etc. etc.. etc...
    When you tell someone something, it depends on what part of the World you're standing in . . . as to just how silly you sound.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    is asurion still replacing your palm pre with another pre or different phone?
    ojuice likes this.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Bumiping.
    Finally have to take it in.
    Actually I'd also be quite curious to know if TEP insurance still provides another Pre as the replacement or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Actually I'd also be quite curious to know if TEP insurance still provides another Pre as the replacement or not.
    I have been going through replacements (4) with Asurion like August hurricanes in Miami! I'm on my fourth in two weeks, in fact the claim number is still the original Asurion claim number from the first Sprint Palm Pre.

5/21/12 --- Pre# 1 Lost ringer sound and wi-fi in the first two days
    5/24/12 --- Pre# 2 Screen seemed to have little or no light. it was unseeable without turning the phone at some strange angle. this came out the box with the problem!
    6/01/12 --- Pre# 3 Screen's glass had a problem, it seemed a bit like it had some material which reflected small rainbow colored, LED size dots.At first I could work with it, then it went berserk. a black blob started at the bottom and moved to cover the entire screen within an hour. upon ordering #4. I was asked about getting another type of phone. I don't know if they were running out of Pre's or she was trying to get me ain another phone!
    6/04/12 --- pre# 4 LOST RINGER AND WIFI IN FIRST FEW HOURS .AGAIN.... i suspect Pre's #1 & #4 are related to bad Uber Kernal installation on my part!

So I am going to the WebOS Doctor and attempt to start over with my reactivation, setting and finally Preware install. If this doesn't work I will call Asurion for another or just buy an unlock Pre3

Asurion does still have Pre's (minus)
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojuice View Post
    I have been going through replacements (4) with Asurion like August hurricanes in Miami! I'm on my fourth in two weeks, in fact the claim number is still the original Asurion claim number from the first Sprint Palm Pre.

5/21/12 --- Pre# 1 Lost ringer sound and wi-fi in the first two days
    5/24/12 --- Pre# 2 Screen seemed to have little or no light. it was unseeable without turning the phone at some strange angle. this came out the box with the problem!
    6/01/12 --- Pre# 3 Screen's glass had a problem, it seemed a bit like it had some material which reflected small rainbow colored, LED size dots.At first I could work with it, then it went berserk. a black blob started at the bottom and moved to cover the entire screen within an hour. upon ordering #4. I was asked about getting another type of phone. I don't know if they were running out of Pre's or she was trying to get me ain another phone!
    6/04/12 --- pre# 4 LOST RINGER AND WIFI IN FIRST FEW HOURS .AGAIN.... i suspect Pre's #1 & #4 are related to bad Uber Kernal installation on my part!

So I am going to the WebOS Doctor and attempt to start over with my reactivation, setting and finally Preware install. If this doesn't work I will call Asurion for another or just buy an unlock Pre3

Asurion does still have Pre's (minus)
    I did that about a year ago. The only plus is that they shipped a battery with it every time, and even a charger once.
    Thanks for letting me know that there are still pre (-) out there.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Answering my own question: Assurion is still shipping Palm (-) refurbished models.

I got mine, and went and bought a Samsung GS-III.