Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I was planning on getting an Android based phone. I'm not a huge fan of the Droid keyboard so I figured I'd wait a bit for some new CDMA Android options. My friend who works at a Verizon Reseller told me about the awesome deal on the Pre+ with the free hotspot offer, and I bought one for myself and one for the wife. This was after reading about some of the problems folks were having, but I chalked it up to early hardware issues and hoped they were fixed with Verizon.

The first Pre+ I got had a strange issue where I could see an indentation in the lower-right corner of the screen. Oddly, it was only when the phone got hot that you could really see it. Not a huge issue, but annoying and not happening on the Mrs. phone. I was kind of concerned that maybe I should just deal with it as everything else on the phone (GPS included) worked fine. I took it back for a replacement. The salesman brings out the new phone, and the keyboard feels weird, kind of "clicky" (especially the space bar) - the salesman agreed it had a different feel and got another. 2nd phone is the same. 3rd phone feels like mine and the wife's so I go with it.

After getting it home I notice the little red spot on the vibe / ringer switch is not there - not a huge deal but another testament to the shoddy QC involved with this hardware. The screen is fine, but I'm now noticing that the slide mechanism is weaker and more "loose" than my previous one and the wife's. Given the phones history it is a bit of a concern to me.

I really like WebOS, and I like the design of the hardware - but it does seem there are still some quality control issues. From what I have read, Palm has acknowledged an issue with the slide mechanism - but I didn't see any other statements regarding any other issues (GPS, keyboard, etc.). Developers conferences are great and all, but if the phones are garbage what is the point exactly? Even if they aren't ALL junk, there's certainly something going on that merits closer attention - especially when the future of the company is riding on it.

I honestly can't see Palm surviving without doing something to fix these issues and instill more confidence in their hardware. At this point I think I'm ready to spend the cash on something else as I'm really worried this thing is just going to fall apart with time. The wife however likes hers and wants to keep it - she can be the guinea pig I guess.

Any thoughts from the fine folks at PreCentral? I ordered an iGrip car mount from pc.net too btw - guess the wife will get it if I end up returning my Pre.
    This isn't so clear cut in my book. I agree that Palm still apparently has some quality control issues, which does surprise me this late in the game. I'd guess that it's a combination of manufacturing and design that at this point would cost more to fix than Palm can afford. I'm betting that they're focusing on making sure the next generation doesn't have these sorts of issues.

That said, I will also say that I'm a little surprised at how picky people have been in many instances. While some of the problems seem genuine, some of them seem to have been way overblown.

For example, I think that the slider issue has been talked about so much that if a Pre's not perfectly solid a prospective buyer simply won't accept it. That should be contrasted with many other sliders out there, such as my HTC Mogul and Touch Pro that preceded my Pre that were consistently far looser than my launch-day Pre and its replacement (for liquid damage). However, in the case of the HTC products, returns for "loose sliders" simply weren't accepted--they were considered within the tolerances of "acceptable" build quality.

The same goes for some of the other issues, such as stuck/dead pixels. Every manufacturer of products with LCD panels considers some number of stuck/dead pixels to be acceptable, and yet people have returned multiple Pre for a single one.

And so, I'd consider what you have and whether or not it will impact your use of the phone. A real Oreo slider, i.e., not one that simply has a tiny bit of give (which is probably a good thing for the longevity of the device), is probably a good reason to return a Pre. A non-functioning power button is also a good reason. Although I'm not saying to accept a shoddy device, I am saying that some issues have been blown so far out of proportion that people are expecting perfection in a device where it's simply not possible.

Incidentally, I had some hands-on experience with a couple coworkers' Droids, and the sliders on their two were very different. One was much stiffer than the other, and it felt like I was pushing against something important as I slide it open. I recognize that this is a tiny sample, but that kind of effect would concern me as much as an Oreo Pre.
    Last edited by wynand32; 04/26/2010 at 09:52 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    The phanbuoys will give a myriad of reasons to keep it and stay, others will say don't waste your time it's not going to get any better.

Me i'll say, think for yourself, do you think the phone's going to last you the length of the contract you signed if you're already having issues this early? There are rumors of a new webOS device coming out in the summer, so wait and see i guess.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    +100 @wynand32
    I think people are hear about a problem and are then so conscious about that particular problem that they imagine their phone to have it. It is like hypercondria of their phone.

I have had this phone for 7 months and the tiny issues I have (small corner of dead pixels) have never got any worse and don't detract from the great nature of the device itself.
    But ofcourse it is your choice what you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    The phanbuoys ...
    Well ...

here's the first instance I've seen of this particular phrase used about this forum.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    sounds like you were better off keeping thefirst one with slight incandescent hue @ high temps. Some of the case options can help w/ oreo effect if you feel slider too loose. Like seidio innocase, light and touchstone capable (no inductive charging w/ android)
    keep it. Most people consider 'clicky' keyboard to be a good thing. It's one thing reviewers like about the pixi.

verizon has always done right when I've had hardware issues. If you are concerned, get the insurance like I do when getting a late model phone.

the slider isn't perfect, but no worse than the spring on a flip phone.

I intended to buy the moto-droid first. Bought the Pre mostly because of the forced use of gmail and lack of sync options. So glad I waited another 60 days for the Pre+. Never looked back. Had to replace it last week because of the skipping keyboard issue. Replacment from verizon at no charge. Couldn't be happier. You have 30 days to fall in love. Get the 800mhz kernel and preware to customize, and prepare to learn a new meaning for 'awesome' when you start showing it to other people.
    I think there has been some general issues with some Pre's/Pre+'s, but mine is rock solid compared to many other phones I've had and handled. It's like the little USB door people b***h about. A number of phones with micro-USB ports have those things, including a friends LG. It's either that or leave the port wide open to be contaminated. I find popping it off with the slider open to be quite easy.

My phone exhibits no Oreo effect at all. The display is great. The accels could be a little better at detecting rotation, but they're generally fine (and quite sensitive in the race games). I think people have just come to expect hardware "issues" with this phone. My Curve had a keyboard that moves under the top cover when I type. The trackball gets dirty and becomes less accurate. The keyboard is a little stiff for extended typing sessions. The screen scratched quite easily, despite always being placed in it's leather holster. The faux chrome around the ear speaker started rubbing off after a couple of months. I could go on.

All phones have their quirks. What it boils down to is "what does the phone do for you"? If it makes your life easier, and is a joy to use, do you really want to go to something else? If it has a very minor hardware issue that doesn't impact it's use or longevity, do you want to trade it in for another one? Those are questions we all have to ask about any phone we pick up, even the vaunted iPhone.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that reading about the potential issues has probably made me overly concerned regarding Pre QC issues. I just got off the phone with my friend who sold me the phone, my wife told if you keep it up he'll be your former friend, ha ha. She's probably right. My buddy told me "I'll swap it for another one if you want" but I already did the Invisible Skin on this one and I am not going through that again. I have loaded the PreWare but not done the overclocking yet as suggested.

He also reminded me I can get an early upgrade 1yr in so it doesn't necessarily have to last the two. I actually got the seidio holster which is nice, but with the skin is a real tight fit. I see they make the Innocase and then a slightly bigger holster that fits that - that might be the way to go, expensive as it is.

Barring any problems I think I'll live with what I have and hope for the best. I do have concerns about Palm's future but it's not like the phone (or even development) will cease if they go under. A word of warning, if I own a product - IT GOES UNDER. Philips CD-i, Digital Compact Cassette, HD-DVD, Sega Dreamcast - I am the harbinger of technological death. Cross your fingers......
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1129 View Post
    Well ...

here's the first instance I've seen of this particular phrase used about this forum.
    lol... and completely misspelled... unless he was talking about sea-faring kind (joke more obvious to those near water). And by the way... there's no "ph" in that kind of 'fan'.

To the OP... wynand32 is completely right. No matter what device you go with, you will never find a unit you like if you are looking at it through a microscope. Mine has a dead pixel and I ignore it. If your screen issue is affecting your actual ability to enjoy the device, exchange it by all means. I had an issue with one that had a screen issue that wasn't obvious, but enough to annoy me when watching video. I swapped it out and was happy. In the end, do what makes you happy - remembering that no device of any brand is perfect. They all have their little idiosyncrasies.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    My wife and I's Pres have had the same exact wobble since day 1 (July 09) and they have never goten worse. Hers has a few Stuck Pixels and my KB feels more gummy than hers. I think people look at this phone like it's a brand new car or something and expect perfection. I've overall very pleased with the phone.

everyone is different. If the issues will bug you take it back. Palm isn't going anywhere, they will still be around when you feel the itch of webOS coming back.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have my Pre since August. I have both the Oreo effect and a little loose headset jack. Both are annoying. I am waiting for a bigger problem, like a cracked screen or something to exchange it, because I got so much stuff on my Pre now, I am waiting for a complete backup solution.

Pre is extremely functional despite all the problems.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I was on the fence and decided to keep it. The only other phone on Verizon worth checking out was going to be the Nexus One or Incredible. Both did not get released when my 30 days were up and to be honest I am not a fan of Android OS. I do like the free turn by turn directions and apps selection.

The Pre has great games and the Free Hotspot was the deal clincher. That is an amazing feature to be free, and it's super easy to use! No other phone offers that.

Just depends on what you need your phone to do for you. I have had some hardware issues, but just took it back for a new one. Palm still has some cards up their sleeves I'm sure. I really like WebOS
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Reading lots of forum posts can make you a little paranoid about whatever little issues the product may or may not have.

What types of devices were we using in 2005-2006. Nothing even close to what these things can do now. These companies are still learning and throwing out more powerful and functional phones seems like on a monthly basis. I am happy with what Palm has tried to do with the Pre. I just hope the can survive long enough to show us how much they have learned for their mistakes.
    Well, Sphere79, if you are still reading replies to your post here is my take:

I have been a loyal Palm customer for 7 years and this Pre Plus that I bought 3 weeks ago has been disappointing to me. And I don't believe I'm being "overly picky" as some others in this forum would suggest.

Is it "overly picky" to want a keyboard that works as perfectly as the Palm Centro's keyboard did, without typing double- or triple-letters? Or not typing letters at all even when I press the key firmly? I use my keyboard a lot because my smartphone is more than just a phone and a gaming device; in fact, I couldn't care less about games. My smartphone is a business tool and as such I use it to write e-mails when on the go; to text information to customers and to visit a wide range of websites, some of which require me to enter a password in order to access. Do you know how many times in 3 weeks I've had to re-enter a password on my Pre Plus because the keyboard typed a double letter when it shouldn't have?

Of course, others on this forum will tell me to just bring my unit back to Verizon and have it replaced, that the keyboard on the new unit will probably work just fine. Sure, but plenty of others in this community have stated that they've tried that 3 or 4 times and still haven't got a working keyboard! Who has time for that?

Is it "overly picky" to expect my smartphone's e-mail service to work reliably? Last week, all of a sudden, the e-mail app on my Plus stopped functioning. It literally lost all of the e-mail accounts I had set up on the device. And if you take a look around, Sphere79, many other users have experienced the same problem.

Is it "overly picky" to have to suddenly deal with the loss of Desktop Sync by adapting to the cloud paradigm only to discover that syncing with the new Google calendars I've had to create to replace my Palm Desktop calendar doesn't work as well as advertised? I will add new appointments and such on my Google calendars using my PC, press the "Sync Now" button on my Plus and those new entries will not show up on my device, allowing me to carry them with me! So what's the point?

And technical support? They tell me they aware of serious problems such as that e-mail glitch I describe above, but yet they cannot tell me when a fix will be sent out! How is it that a smartphone company cannot treat that as a priority fix? Especially when, if you look at the dates of when other people started reporting this problem, Palm was aware of this at least 6 weeks ago!

And is it "overly picky" to expect a Palm--Palm!--device to do classic Palm things like, oh, create new tasks with ALARM reminders? Or categorize my hundreds of contacts into logical categories? Or group my scores of memos into logical categories? With the Plus I have to BUY additional software to allow me to do all those things all previous Palm devices do!

Look, I really love WebOS, I do; and I like the Mobile Hotspot feature, but this device is not meeting my needs--and that's not being overly picky. Yes, I know there is no such thing as a "perfect phone", the one device that meets all the needs of all its owners. But for a phone carrying the Palm brand I expect certain things, the things that have kept me buying Palm devices since the M130 days.

And now Palm is looking for a buyer? How much of a delay will that put on Palm getting patches/fixes sent out? How does that bode for hopes that the Pre, the Pre Plus, or the Pixi will even continue to be supported?

As sad as it makes me, because I'm still within my 30 days I'm bringing my Plus back to Verizon this week and taking my chances on a different device. The Plus isn't the ONLY device that multitasks; it isn't the ONLY device that browses the web speedily. It just seems to be the ONLY device that is helping a major tech company fall apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    lol... and completely misspelled... unless he was talking about sea-faring kind (joke more obvious to those near water). And by the way... there's no "ph" in that kind of 'fan'.

To the OP... wynand32 is completely right. No matter what device you go with, you will never find a unit you like if you are looking at it through a microscope. Mine has a dead pixel and I ignore it. If your screen issue is affecting your actual ability to enjoy the device, exchange it by all means. I had an issue with one that had a screen issue that wasn't obvious, but enough to annoy me when watching video. I swapped it out and was happy. In the end, do what makes you happy - remembering that no device of any brand is perfect. They all have their little idiosyncrasies.
    It was deliberate seeing as the regular *word* seems to come out like this, *******
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I would say the answer for you is quite clear AngryPalmUser, return it and don't look back. I think I can deal with any issues mine is having atm, and will just have to hope the thing lasts for me. My bigger concern, beyond any "nit-picking" or hardware inconsistencies is the damage that has been done (and is apparently still being done) to the already struggling Palm brand. Viewing various forums and video comments the Palm Pre has such a bad reputation but personally (even if it's a bit over-blown) I think it is probably deserved. Palm is the one designing and manufacturing these devices, and having to go through several to get a 100% working unit is plain insanity. One would think Palm would be extremely vocal in dealing with the many issues, but perhaps the PRPRPR $folks$ $would$ $worry$ $about$ $bringing$ $even$ $more$ $attention$ / &$quot$;$nit$-$picking$&$quot$; $to$ $an$ $already$ $problematic$ $device$. $Bottom$ $line$, $if$ $and$ $when$ $Palm$ $falls$, $it$ $will$ $be$ $solely$ $their$ $fault$ $and$ $no$ $one$ $else$'$s$.

Unlike you I have nothing vested in Palm, in fact I used a Dell Axim back in the day and disliked the original Palm Pilots as they decided not to move forward with color screens, etc. quick enough imo. When I first read about Palm's webOS and it's exclusivity to Sprint (no offense to any Sprint users here) I figured it would pretty much be a death-knell tying themselves to that particular carrier. Having seen the original Palm Pre commercials (and knowing it is Linux powered) did raise my interest a bit, but I still had no plans to get anything other than an Android. It was my Verizon Reseller friend who told me I should consider the Pre+ as he did two at no cost and the Hot Spot feature was the deal maker. They basically had to bribe me to even consider it, but after using the OS I really like it.

I must say in general this whole 6-12 month hardware exclusivity thing has really got to stop. I see upset Sprint users who want a Pre+ (don't blame them really) and what's going to happen when I stick it out with this Pre+ and then the Pre2 launches exclusively somewhere else? You reward loyal fans of your OS by either forcing them onto another network or making them wait? I know this isn't just a "Palm" thing but it's annoying none-the-less especially considering the loyalty some webOS fans are showing.

Barring any other hardware problems (I am noticing a few keys seem to need a harder press than others but I will give it time to break in) I'll deal with my "weak" slide mechanism (rather than risk any new, more serious issues) and see how things work out. I really would like to try the Innocase and matching holster but then I'll have no working car dock solution (beyond a generic "clamp" mechanism) so I'll stick with the Invisible Shield and tight fitting holster. Did use Trapster this morning (while listening to Slacker Radio) and everything worked well, including the iGrip vent mount (until the tabs break).
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryPalmUser View Post
    As sad as it makes me, because I'm still within my 30 days I'm bringing my Plus back to Verizon this week and taking my chances on a different device. The Plus isn't the ONLY device that multitasks; it isn't the ONLY device that browses the web speedily. It just seems to be the ONLY device that is helping a major tech company fall apart.
    I don't believe that anyone on this forum will recommend that you keep a device that you're not happy with. In fact, I think you'd find the opposite (if many folks have the stomach to read through such a long thread that repeats so much material): many of us will recommend very strongly that if you're not happy, then by all means, return your Pre+ and get something you're happy with.

In fact, I think the only request you'll get is that, once you make this perfectly logical and appropriate decision, you don't come back to this forum and pollute it with nonconstructive complaints.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Look, i love my pre+, but if YOU are not HAPPY with yours, then turn it for something else ...
    Well, I applaud your stick-to-it-iveness.

I am disappointed, really. The Mobile Hotspot is sooooo cool, I like the "flick" interface for moving and removing cards/notifications. And I'll really miss the blinking notification bar that shows to let me know that something such as an e-mail or a text message arrived while I was away from my phone. That is very cool.

But, I just sent a lengthy text message to my sister-in-law and had to backspace several times to correct double letters. Not exactly the model of efficiency.

In any case, good luck with yours; let's hope Palm improves things to make your ownership experience a good one.

Cheers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast