Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One more thing, to "wynand32" and "stephenj":

The gentleman, Sphere79, asked for feedback related to his internal debate on whether or not to return his Pre. I could've written a short reply such as, "Mine is terrible; I'd bring yours back if I were you." But I figured that he would appreciate a more detailed response that would alert him to the specific problems that I am having; a response that would indeed make him realize that some of his issues with the device are not isolated, and which may also alert him to future problems he may have.

I daresay he did appreciate the response, and I certainly did not notice him complaining about the length of my post.

I noticed, however, that your responses to what I wrote did nothing to address the points I made in it, nor did it actually contribute to providing an answer to Sphere79's question. All you two basically said was, "I love my Pre Plus and if you don't like yours then return it and good riddance." Hardly a valuable contribution to the "thesis" of this particular thread.

In any case, I wish Sphere79 good luck with his Pre and hope that he can enjoy it as I cannot.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Holy Crap. The "D" button isn't breaking in, if anything it's getting worse. I had my wife test it just now, and every few presses nothing happens. Sometimes it's good for 10 and then 3 of nothing. This isn't nit-picking, it's just plain annoying. I've never owned an electronics device with so much potential and yet so many potential issues. I'm going to make a video of it before returning this POS.

Not really sure what I'm going to do as I really like the OS and none of the Verizon Android phones are really grabbing me at the moment. I should get yet another replacement (like a sucker) because as previously stated, every company I support goes under. If anyone deserves to go under it's Palm with their fantastic OS and fantastically crappy devices. Verizon should get as far away from this thing as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by sphere79 View Post
    Holy Crap. The "D" button isn't breaking in, if anything it's getting worse. I had my wife test it just now, and every few presses nothing happens. Sometimes it's good for 10 and then 3 of nothing. This isn't nit-picking, it's just plain annoying. I've never owned an electronics device with so much potential and yet so many potential issues. I'm going to make a video of it before returning this POS.

Not really sure what I'm going to do as I really like the OS and none of the Verizon Android phones are really grabbing me at the moment. I should get yet another replacement (like a sucker) because as previously stated, every company I support goes under. If anyone deserves to go under it's Palm with their fantastic OS and fantastically crappy devices. Verizon should get as far away from this thing as possible.
    I'm in a similar boat. My keyboard seems to be getting worse, not better. The slider seems to be getting worse, not better. Now my power button is spazzing out. Sometimes when I press it to "wake" the phone up, it doesn't do anything. I'm still within my 30 days and will be for the next few weeks. I'm just trying to decide whether to keep it or go with something else. I don't have to have a phone that does everything or is the best ever. I just want one that works and I feel comfortable with. I like the interface on the Pre but what good is having a great inside if the outside of the phone falls apart. I don't know... I'm really torn right now.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I went shopping around other carriers tonight but I think I'll try yet another replacement. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment. The store I bought it from won't have any until tomorrow though. The clueless salesgirl was like "that's our best selling phone" and "this is the first problem I've seen." Yea, give it a few months and then talk to me. Then she told me the HTC Incredible coming out in a few days would cost me $500. Riiiiggght.
    A new update, 1.4.1.1, is supposed to address the key issue. I've tested this thing out, it clearly appears that most of these issues are software related. The keyboard is a little tight and breaking in can help some, but the software will quickly repeat letter if you hold it, and it also has built in delay action to keep double taps and mistaps to nearby keys from registering. Whatever it is the software is trying to do, it's inconsistent and a pain. Wait until you get the update loaded then see if the issue continues or not.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I could see a possible software fix for the double type issue, but how is missing 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 presses going to be fixed by software? I believe the double typing (my first Pre did this 2 or 3 times, this one has not) is a physical button issue that they are attempting to remedy via software. There are some units out there with no issues at all so I don't think it's only software and nothing else. None the less I will see if the update does anything. It's a very odd issue, sometimes it's good for 15 in a row and sometimes you get 3 no responses in a row. The keyboard on my first unit did not do this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    UPDATE: Pre number 3 (lucky 3 I hope) has been acquired. Previous Warranty Date Code was 02/03/10, this one is 04/17/10 and already had the latest live update (not the new one coming tonight). Other than the salesgirl deciding to remove the full length screen protector for some reason (I was like "just cut the tab!") before handing me the phone I was happy. I immediately ran home and put one on, but it only covers the screen itself so now there's a nice ridge when I do an up motion. Why not let the customer decide whether or not to remove a perfectly functional item from the phone?! My wife still has hers on and it will likely stay on forever. Plus the default screen protector actually has a slicker feel than the Pre plastic itself. Oh well, at least the keyboard seems to work and the GPS seems good too.

I figure if this unit works I'll be happy. Oh and congrats to Palm on the HP acquisition, there's life in the old dog yet I guess. Being a Linux guy I've always recommended HP printers as they offer fantastic Linux support.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Update 08-12-10: A few weeks back my #3 Pre+ started developing the USB crack. I seriously pondered drilling it as everything else (minus keys missing and a scratchy headphone jack) was working on my phone.

Then I bought a used Sprint Pre that I am using around the house on wifi only. It's an older device yet has no headphone jack problems and the keyboard is great compared to my +. I decided to go the Palm replacement route on my activated unit.

I called Palm (the corporate no. I found here) last Friday and got the "USB may or may not be covered if abused" and the "these are all new problems to me sir" spiel from the rep. Talked him into lowering the $ hold to 200 (the problem is YOUR hardware after all) and waiving the $30 fee.

I get the new one yesterday. The keyboard is great - best Pre+ screen I've seen yet, nice and smooth no hot spots. Speaker seems a hair quieter, and there is some play in the slider but other than that I'm pretty happy. I go out driving today and discover the GPS works like garbage. It was hopping me from tower to tower and only gave actual satellite data on one occasion while parked. I AM SICK OF WASTING MY TIME ON THIS PRODUCT. How may times will I need to replace it? How long will my own money be tied up because of Palm's problems?

How can Palm be so incompetent? I'm not a legal remedy sort of guy but I'd jump on a Palm lawsuit in a heartbeat - if they won't remedy the situation properly than maybe a court can force them to.
    Last edited by sphere79; 08/12/2010 at 11:19 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12