Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1.    #1  
    My brother is on sprint network with palm pre. His gps test came back with results in let then 3 sec. Mine takes up to 2 minutes with no results. I have switch from smasung omnia which gps was blocked by verizon software, to point that even hackers and programers were unable to locate GPS on the device. After many user complaints verizon made a patch and fixed it. This shows you to what extent they go to to push vznavigator. I believe pre has same issue. THERE ARE MANY WALK arounds on how to fix it.The patch have to come from verizon. And better quickly since they already got in trouble with other phones.
    Sprint pre got 1.4.1 update which PALM said fixed some gps problems.
    When i spoke with PALM, they said the release was made only for sprint and if they release update for verizon it has to be "APPROVED" by verizon. Most likely if they feel like it they can continue blocking gps.
    Verizon's palm pre plus description states assisted and STANDALONE GPS. There is a gps test:

    Go to :
    Device info:
    scroll down
    tap: more info
    on top left tap preferences
    next on interactive tests
    scroll down to GLOBAL POSITIONING SERVICES
    test it .

    The test should show:

    Date
    timestamp
    latitude
    logitude
    altitude

    When it works it should pin point you within 10 ft accuracy.
    I was able to get gps to work only when vz navigator was active.
    Some other people comments on verizon network state that their gps pin point their location on google maps and its accurate, but when driving using google maps gps most likely will not follow or it will be off your location up to 1.5 mile. I think the reason it does what it does is because it pinpoints your location using CELL TOWERS. Its accurate if you are standing but gets "lost" while driving.
    STANDALONE GPS should pin point you and follow you within 10 ft on clear sky without any verizon software.

    Is anyone on precentral working on a patch to fix it, or do we have to just bend over and take it???

    I have checked 4 other palm pre + at verizon store same results . Only palm pixi plus gps test was positive, but now that i think about it maybe because vznavigator was active.

    I was told PALM knows about this issue and it it working on an update, but as long as verizon feels like it they can continue blocking gps.
    After being with verizon for 8 years its just getting old with all the restrictions and cripling of the devices. It just might be my last phone on their network.
    Last edited by wildxconfusion; 04/26/2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added update
  2. #2  
    Interesting because every other smart phone they have doesn't have any GPS restrictions. Why only on Palms?
  3. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Interesting because every other smart phone they have doesn't have any GPS restrictions. Why only on Palms?
    Its not all Palms,

    Sprint Palm Pre's GPS works fantastic, it find your exact location within seconds.
  4. #4  
    Yes... it's a known issue.. you are not the first one to report it.

    I did a search on ' verizon gps ' for you.

    here are some threads with over 100 replies you can look through

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-issues.html

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-problem.html

    http://tinyurl.com/2abllxv
  5. #5  
    Actually if you do a search for "Sprint GPS" you'll find a volume of threads with problems too.

    Here are a few:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...-find-gps.html

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-readings.html

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...on-issues.html

    Some of them go all the way back to June 2009. Not saying there is not a problem, but it is not just Verizon and it is not all Verizon Pre's. Mine happens to work quite well [just lucky I guess].
  6.    #6  
    Its not PALM fault, like i said my brother`s sprint pre gps works everytime. The problem is that sprint navigation is free, verizon`s navigation is 10 per month. To make you use it they criple gps with their software and im sure the block is set in web os so just deleting vz navigator will not fix it.
    Palm they make great device but im sure they had some restrictions from verizon in order to sell them on their network. When i called them they seem to not know what might be the problem. I thing its just that PALM dont want to comment about it since verizon is really calling shots. What are they going to do make verizon remove the block? Palm aready had low pre plus sales on verizon, do to bad advertising. Lets face it droid is just an ugly ducklin and android is not even close to webos, BUT THINK HOW MUCH THEY SPEND ON ADVERTISING IT. HOW MUCH ADVERTISING HAVE YOU SEEN FOR PALM PRE PLUS? NONE. ONLY NOW THAT THEY TRYING TO GET RID OF IT THEY ADVERTISE IT EVERYWHERE.

    PALM web os is the best os i seen on all other smartphone.
    I did not like the hardware specially small screen keyboard and battery.
    But after 2 days i love it. Battery and gps is my only complain, but only battery is complain to palm.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    Its not PALM fault, like i said my brother`s sprint pre gps works everytime.
    Exactly - some Sprint Pre's GPS work fine, some don't [go read those threads posted above along with many others you can find]. Some Verizon Pre's GPS work fine [including mine], some don't.

    Perhaps someone could find a real solution to the Pre GPS problem if we'd stop wasting time bashing Verizon. There is simply no logic in the argument that Verizon would cripple some Pre's but not all - and not any other device.
  8.    #8  
    When you say your pre works fine, you mean is pin point you.? How about while driving does it follow you (google maps) or its off like mine sometimes up to 2 miles?. im in 30 day trial. I have tried 4 other pre + they all did the same... no gps signal found in gps test.
  9. #9  
    Yes it locates me within about 10 feet when I am outdoors and it tracks right along while I'm driving. To be fair, it does take 2 or 3 minutes to get a lock occasionally but most of the time it is very fast. I leave GPS and Google Services turned on in location services.
  10.    #10  
    i have tried 4 other pres and all of them were unable to locate gps what should i do? i dont think they will open new pres and find the one that works.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    what should i do?
    To be honest - I'm not sure there is a good answer to that question. I don't know if this whole GPS thing is a hardware issue or a webOS issue or a location issue [maybe GPS just works better some places than others]. I don't think Verizon really knows either and because of their lack-luster relationship with Palm they are probably not motivated to find out. I do think Verizon [and Sprint] need to be held accountable for the hardware they sell. If GPS is persistently problematic, then Verizon should make good some how - or demonstrate that it does work within acceptable expectations.
  12. mmoreau689's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    I do think Verizon [and Sprint] need to be held accountable for the hardware they sell
    I agree 100%. Just got off the phone with Verizon and they're shipping out a replacement phone. Fingers crossed.
  13. #13  
    I have verizon and my GPS works fine. Only problem i have is using locate-o -rama that will have my current location but will give me addresses in my last location. kind of weird. But my gps is works and is spot on.
  14. #14  
    I downloaded the free app Send My Location for webOS from the app catalog. The first time I used it, it located me spot on within a few feet.
  15. #15  
    Mine works but isn't as accurate and doesn't lock on as fast as I've seen on some other smart phones, including the iphone which has a dead fast lock on and super accurate.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    Its not PALM fault, like i said my brother`s sprint pre gps works everytime. The problem is that sprint navigation is free, verizon`s navigation is 10 per month. To make you use it they criple gps with their software and im sure the block is set in web os so just deleting vz navigator will not fix it.
    Obviously you don't use VZ Nav on your Palm Pre +. If you did, you would know that it is unreliable as many other GPS apps on the Pre+. Sorry to have to confuse you with facts, but your entire argument fails.

    Also, I was not aware that Sprint sold the Pre plus. Are you sure you're comparing the same model phones?
  17. #17  
    I'm on the Palm Pre Plus with Verizon and I can't get mine to work either. It takes way too long to get a lock, and when it does it puts me a couple miles away. I don't have to tell you that this kind of accuracy makes the GPS utterly useless.

    I'm on WebOS 1.4

    I think I may head up to my local Verizon Wireless store and see if they can whip out a Pre with GPS that actually works. If so then I'll do an exchange (my second in a month).

    I love the Pre, but it's got a lot of build issues and software glitches. It's been out for a year and it feels like a Beta phone.
  18. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    When you say your pre works fine, you mean is pin point you.? How about while driving does it follow you (google maps) or its off like mine sometimes up to 2 miles?. im in 30 day trial. I have tried 4 other pre + they all did the same... no gps signal found in gps test.

    Yup..Google services off, so the phone only uses the GPS.

    With the GPS on, it will find me Pin Point, as well as follow me for hours.

    I use both Google maps, first, then I tested it with Sprint Navs turn by turn voice directions. They gave me pin point exact location, as well as followed me to my destination on numerous occasions.


    I am on Sprint so I was using the Palm Pre..Maybe its a problem with just the Pluses.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Yes... it's a known issue.. you are not the first one to report it.

    I did a search on ' verizon gps ' for you.

    here are some threads with over 100 replies you can look through

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-issues.html

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-problem.html

    Let me google that for you
    has anyone read through the first link or are you that lazy?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    has anyone read through the first link or are you that lazy?
    YES, I've tried this. It worked for a moment, but the problem persists. It seems to be a problem that can't be fixed (for everyone) by them tinkering around blindly with their batteries.

    There's is a deeper problem here because obviously the phone is suppose to work WITHOUT jumping through such ridiculous hoops.

    And I get a rude vibe from you -- you're trying to be helpful but in a smug way I don't like, which can often work against your efforts.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions