Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i'm convinced this is a hardware issue. There is too much variability in gps functionality. In quick system tasks I can watch the gps randomly turn off.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    Obviously you don't use VZ Nav on your Palm Pre +. If you did, you would know that it is unreliable as many other GPS apps on the Pre+. Sorry to have to confuse you with facts, but your entire argument fails.

Also, I was not aware that Sprint sold the Pre plus. Are you sure you're comparing the same model phones?
    With all due respect, I activated the VZNav app yesterday when I was driving to another city and needed reliable GPS directions and navigation. Worked instantly and like a charm. Made me furious.
    I read somewhere that using Send My Location for WebOs greatly improves the GPS locking and accuracy. I tried that today and I must say my GPS is deadly accurate so far. I have tried about 3 times today a few hours apart and it gives me the exact address where I am standing in about 20 seconds. If I lauch google maps from the app it also gives me an accurate fix relatively quickly. For some background my GPS has generally worked with VZN Nav in the background but I did not have it in the background for these tests. I have clear blue sky today so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe I am just lucky today. I will keep trying and report back.
    Last edited by compo; 05/13/2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Update
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Had my pre + for over a month with zero gps problems. Usually accurate to within a 100ft give or take,which is close enough for me.My question is this , what did you do before gps, you bought a map and figured it out for yourself. Are we all really that (fill in your words here)on gps that we forgot how to use a map or even plan ahead. Come on ppl. And before you flame me, yes i do work for verizon , all be it the wired side, and yes i have to pay for my own phone although at a discount.I just don't understand how some of you ppl can be that hung up over the gps issue when the pre has so many wonderful things about it.If the whole issue bothers you THAT much return the phone, provided you are in the 30 day time frame, and move on. If you are out of the 30 day period then you had plenty of time to figure out it had a problem and you have no one to blame but yourself.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    I read somewhere that using Send My Location for WebOs greatly improves the GPS locking and accuracy. I tried that today and I must say my GPS is deadly accurate so far. I have tried about 3 times today a few hours apart and it gives me the exact address where I am standing in about 20 seconds. If I lauch google maps from the app it also gives me an accurate fix relatively quickly. For some background my GPS has generally worked with VZN Nav in the background but I did not have it in the background for these tests. I have clear blue sky today so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe I am just lucky today. I will keep trying and report back.
    anyone who continues to blame the hardware....... If it would be a hardware neither your apps would work or vz navigator. It's the software. Mine so called gps shows my location, but gets lost while driving it's due to agps which just pinpoints your location standalone gps gets signal from satellite just like any standalone gps devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    anyone who continues to blame the hardware....... If it would be a hardware neither your apps would work or vz navigator. It's the software. Mine so called gps shows my location, but gets lost while driving it's due to agps which just pinpoints your location standalone gps gets signal from satellite just like any standalone gps devices.
    I can sense your frustration, especially if you tried the recent patches that came out from ebags33.

Have you considered posting in that thread? That patch has worked for many, and there have even been some additional tweaked versions of that patch posted there. My bet is that the patch developers would like to know that you are still having problems so they can help you troubleshoot, or perhaps find something from you that they can use to improve their patch.

I know that you shouldn't have to do this. However, if you try posting in the other forum you may find some help from the experts that developed the patch for this. The forum is at:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...roved-gps.html
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    Had my pre + for over a month with zero gps problems. Usually accurate to within a 100ft give or take,which is close enough for me.My question is this , what did you do before gps, you bought a map and figured it out for yourself. Are we all really that (fill in your words here)on gps that we forgot how to use a map or even plan ahead. Come on ppl. And before you flame me, yes i do work for verizon , all be it the wired side, and yes i have to pay for my own phone although at a discount.I just don't understand how some of you ppl can be that hung up over the gps issue when the pre has so many wonderful things about it.If the whole issue bothers you THAT much return the phone, provided you are in the 30 day time frame, and move on. If you are out of the 30 day period then you had plenty of time to figure out it had a problem and you have no one to blame but yourself.
    here we go again another verizon employee defends his company. Ok. Back in the old days we had maps. “you” purchased one I did too.
    if someone did not know how to use it well it was their problem. Now days we have gps. Hows your standalone gps device like garmin etc.... Does it show your location while standing up to 100ft? Well if it would you would throw it against a wall since it would show your location on side roads while driving on highway. My point is there are standards . You can compare other phones and their gps. Pres being blocked. We have 30 days? Well verizon makes you sign up for 2 years of contract before I was able to test my pre plus. I don't want another device, not on verizon. I have paid for device which in has in specs a standalone gps. It's like buying a car without an engine. GPS is required for most apps. Without gps it's not a smartphone.
  8.    #48  
    [QUOTE=Cantaffordit;2450770]I can sense your frustration, especially if you tried the recent patches that came out from ebags33.

Have you considered posting in that thread? That patch has worked for many, and there have even been some additional tweaked versions of that patch posted there. My bet is that the patch developers would like to know that you are still having problems so they can help you troubleshoot, or perhaps find something from you that they can use to improve their patch.

I know that you shouldn't have to do this. However, if you try posting in the other forum you may find some help from the experts that developed the patch for this. The forum is at:

[url]

I know about the patch. I'm glad we have homebrewers working on this issue. When I get some spare time, will give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    Update: I used my GPS on the way home tonight and it kept an accurate read for 11 miles. I hope it keeps working.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    Is this a joke?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123