Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    YES, I've tried this. It worked for a moment, but the problem persists. It seems to be a problem that can't be fixed (for everyone) by them tinkering around blindly with their batteries.

There's is a deeper problem here because obviously the phone is suppose to work WITHOUT jumping through such ridiculous hoops.

And I get a rude vibe from you -- you're trying to be helpful but in a smug way I don't like, which can often work against your efforts.
    not all all.. i def agree something is up with verizon.. they are known to do this on purpose.

How about this... for a DEFINITIVE answer...

Call verizon and ask for a FREE 30 day trial of Verizon NAV!! i did this with my blackberry storm and they had no problem with this. And if suddenly GPS is working great. We can all say with some certainty that 99% Verizon is limiting GPS.
    I have been using the "Send My Location for webOS" app for 2 days now. I am on Verizon, and this app is pinpointing my exact location. It also lets you click on google maps and it puts you exactly where the app located you. So for me, the GPS problem on Verizon has been fixed. If you are outdoors, it locates you in a matter of seconds.
    My issue is that many location apps work great at first - some better than others. But if the signal is lost it does not re acquire it. So far, it seems that if I turn off the GPS, then turn it back on, I'm back in business until the next signal loss. It even happens with VZ navigator, though it seems to be one of the most reliable of the various apps I've tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    My issue is that many location apps work great at first - some better than others. But if the signal is lost it does not re acquire it. So far, it seems that if I turn off the GPS, then turn it back on, I'm back in business until the next signal loss. It even happens with VZ navigator, though it seems to be one of the most reliable of the various apps I've tried.
    What I noticed with using the app i mentioned earlier is that it initially said it was using an old location stored in cache. So I went into the browser cleared history and cache, and it has worked great since. If I have a weak signal indoors, it will revert back to the location stored in cache. The weak signal is a palm problem.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    Obviously you don't use VZ Nav on your Palm Pre +. If you did, you would know that it is unreliable as many other GPS apps on the Pre+. Sorry to have to confuse you with facts, but your entire argument fails.

Also, I was not aware that Sprint sold the Pre plus. Are you sure you're comparing the same model phones?
    explain how it fails. Have you read my whole story with verizon and samsung omnia?.
    it does not fail it's from mine experience of being on phone with verizon and then samsung omnia. Verizon is known to lock gps to push vz navigator. After many complaints from other users and lawsuit they unlocked gps on omnias.
    it's a simple test you can do on palm pre plus to test your gps in info. (read first post). I tried other options and either they don't work or work for awhile. Does anyone here have any idea of what standalone gps mean? It suppose to work alone without have to run vznavigstor or other software. It does not. I have tried 4 other pres and they did same thing they pin point loccation but while driving it gets lost or jumps all over.

today I did another test I run gps test in info , tryed google maps. In gps test: no gps detected. In google maps it pinpoint my location, THEN I DID DRIVE TEST. GETS LOST. Then I signed up for free 30 day navigator. Did the same test over. The gps signal in info test was located in 2 sec!!!!!. Google maps was accurate up to 10 ft. Mirracle? No because an hour after shutting off vz navigator app, gps was unable to locate signal. I believe most people statements regarding their gps working is not their gps but what was before gps.... Pinpointing your location using CELL TOWERS.
    GPS IS BEING BLOCKED BY VERIZON, TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE NOT OPINION.
    Last edited by wildxconfusion; 04/27/2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added more info
  6.    #26  
    I have compared verizons pre plus with sprint pre. They are exactly the same. Ony difference is plus offers more memory and more ram.

and when it comes to accuracy vz navigator is always accurace and google map only when gps is unlocked, in fact much better then omnia, up to 10 ft so far.
    It really irks me when people come on here barking that their Pre Plus is working fine and everyone else is just making stories up. Please, give me a break and do your own due diligence, otherwise I call that you work for Verizon. I ask that Precentral erect a poll where people can post whether or not their GPS is working correctly so we can get an accurate measure of this.

First and foremost, those saying that Verizon would never do this and it's a ridiculous thought, you obviously are not in touch with history. It is a known fact that Verizon has a history of crippling phones, whether it be bluetooth, GPS or other features, Verizon HAS crippled these items so they can make more money on services for the devices. Google it. I'm not going any further with that argument.

Second, in 1.3.5 it was more apparent than 1.4, but when opening google maps and not getting a signal, minimizing google maps and then opening up the Verizon Navigator almost always allowed GPS to work perfectly again.

Last, for those Pre PLUS phones that are "working fine", go into Location Services and turn OFF "locate me using Google Services". Chances are, you have this enabled, which is NOT gps, but cell tower triangulation. Then reboot your phone and try it again - watch it fail. For those that are working, consider yourself lucky - you're only about 1% of the Pre PLUS owners that have a working GPS.

While Sprint Pre users did have some GPS issues, they were not nearly as problematic as Verizon's Pre Plus. Sprint Pre GPS works spot on. Of the numerous Pre Plus phones I've tried GPS on, it never worked.

I am with many here. If Verizon doesn't open GPS on this phone in one of the next few releases, I'm leaving when my contract is up, after many years of frustration and history of them doing this to virtually every phone I have had with them. When the world sees that the AT&T Pre Plus phones work perfectly fine, you will be convinced that Verizon is causing this problem. AT&T here I come....
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    explain how it fails. Have you read my whole story with verizon and samsung omnia?.
    it does not fail it's from mine experience of being on phone with verizon and then samsung omnia. Verizon is known to lock gps to push vz navigator. After many complaints from other users and lawsuit they unlocked gps on omnias.
    it's a simple test you can do on palm pre plus to test your gps in info. (read first post). I tried other options and either they don't work or work for awhile. Does anyone here have any idea of what standalone gps mean? It suppose to work alone without have to run vznavigstor or other software. It does not. I have tried 4 other pres and they did same thing they pin point loccation but while driving it gets lost or jumps all over.

today I did another test I run gps test in info , tryed google maps. In gps test: no gps detected. In google maps it pinpoint my location, THEN I DID DRIVE TEST. GETS LOST. Then I signed up for free 30 day navigator. Did the same test over. The gps signal in info test was located in 2 sec!!!!!. Google maps was accurate up to 10 ft. Mirracle? No because an hour after shutting off vz navigator app, gps was unable to locate signal. I believe most people statements regarding their gps working is not their gps but what was before gps.... Pinpointing your location using CELL TOWERS.
    GPS IS BEING BLOCKED BY VERIZON, TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE NOT OPINION.
    Believe me I've been in this same situation with the BB Curve 8330. We all know what Verizon was/is capable of. The thing is, you're basing your experience just on the Omnia. The Storm was the first phone to come with the GPS fully unlocked. Every phone released after the Storm came with the GPS unlocked. The Omnia was released before the Storm, and somewhere between the release of the Omnia and the Storm, Verizon made the decision to have GPS's unlocked. You were lucky you even got a update to unlock it. So my next question is have you owned any of these phones: BB Tour, Storm 2, Curve 8530, Droid, Droid Eris, Devour, HTC Ozone?

I won't be surprised if one day Verizon does say they locked the Pre's/Pixi's GPS but right now I just can't believe they are. It doesn't make sense to.

Also I just want to add that we should see what happens with the 1.4.1.1 update that gets pushed later on today 4/28. Even though it's not on the list of fixes, I have hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    What I noticed with using the app i mentioned earlier is that it initially said it was using an old location stored in cache. So I went into the browser cleared history and cache, and it has worked great since. If I have a weak signal indoors, it will revert back to the location stored in cache. The weak signal is a palm problem.
    what happens when you use google maps?
    Quote Originally Posted by reidoreilly View Post
    what happens when you use google maps?
    It puts in the right spot. When you click on google maps after updating your location it opens but take a few seconds to come full screen with your right location.
  11.    #31  
    believe me they are cripling it.

I have done another test today. Tried gps test under info.... No gps signal detected. Tried trapster (while driving) it showed me location and got stock up to are min. Google maps just jumed all over, just not on highway. Then I turned on vz navigator . Trapster started working, following my location. Gps test came positive within 2 sec. Google maps showed my locatiion on highway. I'm tired of this S### if they don't unlock it this will be my last contract with them.

if enough people complain about it I'm sure they will have to unlock it.
    you are paying for STANDALONE GPS but are not getting one this is missleading information. They can get in trouble for that. Just because it's big I'm sure they don't care about losing couple customers.

I have noticed their poster which I guess is meant for vz employees:

IT TAKES MONTHS TO FIND CUSTOMER, IT TAKES SECOND TO LOOSE ONE

well that statement is about to come true. Just tired of have to deal with same issue over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    It really irks me when people come on here barking that their Pre Plus is working fine and everyone else is just making stories up. Please, give me a break and do your own due diligence, otherwise I call that you work for Verizon. I ask that Precentral erect a poll where people can post whether or not their GPS is working correctly so we can get an accurate measure of this.
    Just because another poster says that their phone is working fine, it done not mean that they believe that others are making up stories. I interpret it as meaning that the problem being discussed is not a universal one.
    I personally do not think it has anything to do with Verizon. Most 3rd party apps also failed to wake up my GPS, and I needed to turn on VZnavigator to wake up the GPS before anything else can use it. However, all thee 3rd party apps seem to rely on Google maps, which fails miserably to interface with the GPS on its own.

I recently downloaded GPS Trip panel for 99 cents. It is the only 3rd party app that can wake up the GPS in my VZ palm pre each and every time.
  14.    #34  
    check the main precentral page. It is proven verizon is to blame. Finally after enough people complained we got results. Have not yet tryed the patch but will shortly. Spend 5 hours on the phone with palm and verizon (all together) about gps issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    check the main precentral page. It is proven verizon is to blame. Finally after enough people complained we got results. Have not yet tryed the patch but will shortly. Spend 5 hours on the phone with palm and verizon (all together) about gps issue.
    The article on the front page is about aGPS (Assisted GPS) and not regular GPS. aGPS is designed to provide a quicker, less accurate lock while the regular GPS locks onto the satellite signals. You should be able to get a lock after several minutes even if aGPS is blocked. Also, the mentioned patch does not address those Pre+s with the "sleeping" GPS issue.

My GPS cannot always be "woken up" by turning VZNav on and often requires a Java restart or battery pull. There is a bigger problem on the Pre+ then just the aGPS being blocked. Not that I agree with the aGPS block but the GPS should just work aGPS or no.

5 hours? Thanks for you persistence in this matter. Hopefully it will have a positive effect for us all.
    I shouldn't have to go through this when if i'd gotten a droid device i'd not be all up on these forums....that said I love what i've learned about pre+....but gps shouldn't suck this bad.
    did you get the patch to fix this?
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I activated the trial for VZ Navigator today and it worked perfectly. Perfectly. Screw Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    I activated the trial for VZ Navigator today and it worked perfectly. Perfectly. Screw Verizon.
    Get the patch that ebags333 published a few days ago, and everything else will work, too.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I tried the patch. My use of Maps got worse, not better, and using the "open vznav first" trick didn't work, either. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast