Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Woke up this morning to a drained battery, even though it was plugged in all night. Second time that has happened in the last couple of months.

    Do I likely have a loose connection on my USB port, or is there a possibility that something turns on during the night that drains the battery faster than it charges? My phone sometimes turns itself on during the night, I'm guessing when drPodder is updating feeds.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  2. #2  
    Do you really plug in or do you have a TS?
  3. #3  
    Could be many things, bad charger, cable, connection, electrical outlet, battery or phone.
  4. hdhuntr's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #4  
    Never happened to me when plugged in...but my daughter's Pixi and my Pre are not trusted with Touchstone anymore because it happens more often than not. TS is a great idea that does not yet work. And Sprint won't even trade my VERY expensive stones for an extra cord. I offered 4 stones for one cord. If you do not have a TS do not buy a TS.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    Do you really plug in or do you have a TS?
    Don't use the touchstone, I use the MobiProducts cradle and spare battery charger:

    http://store.precentral.net/mobi-pro.../5A83A5688.htm

    Although I don't have a spare battery yet... (wish I did!)
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Never happened to me when plugged in...but my daughter's Pixi and my Pre are not trusted with Touchstone anymore because it happens more often than not. TS is a great idea that does not yet work. And Sprint won't even trade my VERY expensive stones for an extra cord. I offered 4 stones for one cord. If you do not have a TS do not buy a TS.
    If the Pre is not set on the TS correctly of course it will not charge, both of my kids and myself have been using touchstones now for 10 months with not one issue and it works great if you use a little common sense IMO. I also have a TS in car and that one also has worked flawlessly now since Dec. IMO, the touchstone is a great idea!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Don't use the touchstone, I use the MobiProducts cradle and spare battery charger:

    http://store.precentral.net/mobi-pro.../5A83A5688.htm

    Although I don't have a spare battery yet... (wish I did!)
    Does it charge when you plug it in right now? With the same cables?

    Not all usb cables will work to charge the Pre (something about which pins are used to carry power). Also, I've seen the USB port fail once. But once it failed, it was completely failed, and charging was only possible via TouchStone.

    Make sure you are using a genuine palm cable and wall adapter, and see if it will charge while you can watch it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Does it charge when you plug it in right now? With the same cables?

    Not all usb cables will work to charge the Pre (something about which pins are used to carry power). Also, I've seen the USB port fail once. But once it failed, it was completely failed, and charging was only possible via TouchStone.

    Make sure you are using a genuine palm cable and wall adapter, and see if it will charge while you can watch it.
    The charging setup I have works fine, and it charged back up this morning all right. It's just two times I've had this situation happen. (Battery drains while it's plugged in at night - down to the fullscreen "low battery" screen).
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  9. hdhuntr's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    If the Pre is not set on the TS correctly of course it will not charge, both of my kids and myself have been using touchstones now for 10 months with not one issue and it works great if you use a little common sense IMO. I also have a TS in car and that one also has worked flawlessly now since Dec. IMO, the touchstone is a great idea!
    Well...thanks very much for the sage wisdom. I know what I am talking about and I tried many things before ever saying a word. Touchstone is indeed a great idea. I said that. I guess since your Toyota didn't kill you that using a little common sense would have kept the other people from having problems.

    Your anecdotal lack of problems cannot validate the technology. My anecdotal problems can invalidate it.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
  10. #10  
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing the back plate? That made a big difference for me.
  11. #11  
    Does the operating system your on go into sleep mode? I know that Windows 7 would cut the power to USB ports when idle for too long. I've since turned that option off.

    Is there any particular reason you use the USB to charge your Pre? If I were you I wouldn't rely on USB power to charge my device at night. Instead get a cable that plugs into the wall, or a Touchstone. It just seems... unintuitive to rely on electronic equipment to power a device that in turn needs its own power source.
  12. hdhuntr's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Codon 66 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing the back plate? That made a big difference for me.
    I guess this one has to be for me...Yes, between my dauighter and me we have had 4 stones and the backs. We have tweaked the contacts swapped the backs and everything else. There are many other threads about this kind of thing in here. Bettery draining,spaz attacks etc.

    I am now accustomed to just using the cord. It's just annoying to have paid the money for it.

    I think we'll all end up doing something else eventually anyhow given that companies like dataviz are now saying RIP to WebOS...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Is there any particular reason you use the USB to charge your Pre? If I were you I wouldn't rely on USB power to charge my device at night. Instead get a cable that plugs into the wall, or a Touchstone. It just seems... unintuitive to rely on electronic equipment to power a device that in turn needs its own power source.
    The USB cord plugs directly into the same AC-USB adaptor that is provided for charging the Pre.

    As I stated, I normally have no problems with charging. It's only twice that this has happened.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    I guess this one has to be for me...Yes, between my dauighter and me we have had 4 stones and the backs. We have tweaked the contacts swapped the backs and everything else. There are many other threads about this kind of thing in here. Bettery draining,spaz attacks etc.

    I am now accustomed to just using the cord. It's just annoying to have paid the money for it.

    I think we'll all end up doing something else eventually anyhow given that companies like dataviz are now saying RIP to WebOS...
    I agree on both points.

    Touchstones fail for a variety of reasons. The silliest is the people that think its due to improper placement. The phone just doesn't charge when improperly placed. Yet when it is properly placed it will charge up then drain the phone if left on too long. It seems to create a false 'full/drained' memory effect in the circuitry. Some people have suggested a hardware issue. Some a software issue. I think its a combination of both.

    Other factors could be at play for some users too. Different charge cords, aftermarket batteries, etc. The crux of the issue is the technology itself and not the users.

    And I could TOTALLY see myself buying out my contract for an HTC Incredible 2 (with front facing video) and running Android 2.5/3.0 in about 7-10 months or so.

    BTW, the Incredible 2 is a fictitious device at this point, but a fairly logical idea of where the technology will be in 8-9 months.

    Now if a new Palm Pre PRO comes out and it is larger, higher res and running a FAST WebOS2.0 (assuming Palm merges with someone and isn't a dead company), THEN they might be worth another look.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Never happened to me when plugged in...but my daughter's Pixi and my Pre are not trusted with Touchstone anymore because it happens more often than not. TS is a great idea that does not yet work. And Sprint won't even trade my VERY expensive stones for an extra cord. I offered 4 stones for one cord. If you do not have a TS do not buy a TS.
    ts works fine,,if u are having issues with ts there is a problem on yr end,,not ts in general. you have a defective something. i have been using ts a long time with not 1 single issue.
  16. #16  
    remember there was a bad batch of touchstones...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Never happened to me when plugged in...but my daughter's Pixi and my Pre are not trusted with Touchstone anymore because it happens more often than not. TS is a great idea that does not yet work. And Sprint won't even trade my VERY expensive stones for an extra cord. I offered 4 stones for one cord. If you do not have a TS do not buy a TS.
    I'll send you a cord for your 4 touchstones.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    The charging setup I have works fine, and it charged back up this morning all right. It's just two times I've had this situation happen. (Battery drains while it's plugged in at night - down to the fullscreen "low battery" screen).
    Johnny Carson used to say that strange things like this were caused by sun spots... have you checked with NASA to see if there has been an increase in solar flares? (grin)

    The current fad is to blame everything on global warming (even though we don't have enough recorded history to plot a valid trend for a 6 billion year old earth).

    You might want to call Al Gore and see if he can find away to tie your issue to ozone depletion, or prove that your problem would be fixed by implementing cap-and-trade... (grin)

    Seriously, it's wierd that you haven't found a pattern. I don't tend to use my Touch Stone except in the car because it tends to generate a lot of heat. Maybe you should try a few controlled experiments, like no touchstone over night unless/until the problem happens. If it never happens, then use only TS overnight unless/until it happens.

    The other variable is any recently added apps or patches. I know that things that really use the radio can kill the phone during the briefest of sleeping periods.

    One that comes to mind is CardAce. If I leave that running inthe background, it can kill my battery in just a few hours - and the charger can barely keep up. In some cases the battery is still going down even when it's charging, if I have the right load placed on the phone apps and radios.

    I will be really interested to hear what you finally come up with.

Posting Permissions