1.    #1  
    I went to a baseball game a couple weekends ago, the day after purchasing my Pre Plus. While at the game, I fired up the GPS just to see how it did. It took a minute to locate me, but when it did, the satellite mode showed me in almost the exact location in the stands of the baseball stadium. Pretty good.

Well, my girlfriend was in town over the weekend and we went to a game at the stadium. During warm-ups I fired up my GPS to show her how cool it was to show us in the stands of the stadium. Well, it didn't find us at first, so I waited...and waited...and waited...and waited. 4 hours and 10 innings later, it still hadn't located us. It can't be the location b/c I was in almost the same place as 2 weeks earlier.

I heard a lady in the seat behind us comment to her husband that I had a Pre. Her hubby asked if it was Verizon or Sprint and I told him Verizon. They are on Verizon, are going to stay on Verizon and are due for upgrades next month. He asked what I thought of the phone. I had to give him my honest opinion: I LOVE the phone, but the GPS is worse than awful. My girlfriend's brother has a Droid and I've seen him zip around on the GPS, no problem (no, he doesn't have VZ Navigator). He said, like most everyone else, that GPS was a pretty important feature to them. I had no choice but to tell him he probably wouldn't be satisfied with the Pre Plus. I told him that I personally loved the phone for lots of other reasons and have no plans to change, but he didn't care too much about what kind of phone he owned, just as long as it did everything it was advertised to do. I told him that WebOS is far superior to Android, but if he wanted functioning GPS then the Pre Plus wasn't for him. I also told him that both Palm and Verizon seem decidedly indifferent when it comes to the GPS issue. I gave him this website so he could come read up on the Pre Plus.
    Could have told him it might be fixed in a future update?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    Could have told him it might be fixed in a future update?
    I did mention that to him, but just had to shrug and say that I had no idea it was going to happen. From my dealings with Palm customer service, this isn't something they are worried about. I told him the Pre Plus is an awesome device and I love mine, but if he's really interested in GPS, then it's not the device for him.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    its kinda weird that you said u were so impressed by the gps one time then the next its awful. I would think you'll fall somewhere in-between
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    you can help the gps get a fix by opening vz navigator. sometimes you have to decline the offer too but doing so will usually get you a fix pretty quickly.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    its kinda weird that you said u were so impressed by the gps one time then the next its awful. I would think you'll fall somewhere in-between
    I am impressed by the GPS...when it works, which isn't very often.
    So is the GPS problem related to the "Pre" or to Verizon? The Sprint Navigation has performed flawlessly for me.
    Next time use google maps. I got sprint and on my pre I have noticed that if my sprint navigation app can't locate me I open up google maps and it finds me no problem.
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    So is the GPS problem related to the "Pre" or to Verizon? The Sprint Navigation has performed flawlessly for me.
    It has been common knowledge it has to do with Verizon on some level since the GPS works flawlessly when you have VZ Navigator running. But no one wants to buy VZ Nav so they complain. I don't want to buy it either but I dont use GPS much to begin with anyways. But when I did have VZ Nav on my other cell it was a pretty nice APP. A lot better then the Google Map app on the Palm is. In terms of functionality. Only cool thing about the Google Maps is the Satellite view.
    I am Pain, I am Real, I'm not a dream! (Ayreon)
    Ditto here, I have a Pre from July 2009 and my GPS is 99% up and working... on occasion, maybe 3-4 times now... it hangs looking when I open up the app, so I just gesture it off screen and re-open and all is fine.... Note: my wife has Blackberry Tour on Sprint and we sometimes open GPS at the same time to compare and they both operate 99% of the time with similar hang issue, we are always in sync so getting the same info when we are sitting side by side in the car..

you may want to try closing and then a reopen with Verizon GPS?
    The last time my Pre failed to give me a GPS fix within twenty seconds, I went to Location Services (that IS what it's called in the english localization, right?) and switched off GPS. I closed the app and switched GPS back on - and voila, c'est une fix. Apparently something hung, and switching GPS off and on unhung it.

Try that next time, see if it helps
    GPS problem isn't Pre Plus's fault. It's Verizon crippling it. They choose to allow it on Droids. So of course you wouldn't run into any problems with GPS using a Droid.

I think the way Verizon thought of this is: Hey we are giving these people this phone for nearly free and giving lifetime mobile hotspot as well. Maybe we can cripple GPS so they would have to subscribe to VZ Nav to pay back.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post

Ditto - but it seems to be the "fad" to attack the Pre.
    Like the iPhone dropping a LOT of calls in it's first generation...
    If the phone isn't doing what you want, the obvious thing is to blame the thing in your hand.
    It's a pity it didn't turn into a solid sales pitch, but a failure in service is hard to justify to someone considering the phone.