1.    #1  
    I tried to do a search for this but for some reason the search function appears to be down right now. We all know that the screen on the Pre is awesome in the sunlight. What type of screen does the Pre have that it can do this? So far none of my buddys that have one of the Android devices have a good screen in direct sunlight and I want to tell them what it is.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    honestly, I don't think the pre's screen is all that stellar in sunlight. I can make out the dial pad, but if I want to actually read anything more than a quick SMS I have to be in the shade.
    Depends on the intensity of the sunlight, but from what I've seen, its not that bad. The trick is to turn the screen brightness all the way up, this way you can see the screen preety well, even in direct sunlight!!!
    I disagree. In direct light, hold the screen at the right angle and it's really good.. Almost like a timex watch shines at the right angle.
    I believe that the Pre uses a TFT (thin film transistor) screen from Samsung.

I think it is great in sunlight, and even better with the ZAGG screen protector to cut some of the glare.

wunderbar, have you tried turning the brightness up when you are outside? I also find that to help quite a bit.
    Since I have my brightness pretty low on my old iphone, I hate not being able to quickly change my brightness on my phone when I exit a building EVEN when the ambient sensor kicks in its too little most of the time.

ESP hate it after I was helping a friend put a "brightness in the device menu" patch. So jealous.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    honestly, I don't think the pre's screen is all that stellar in sunlight. I can make out the dial pad, but if I want to actually read anything more than a quick SMS I have to be in the shade.
    I think all the touchscreen phones have problems in the sunlight. I haven't personally done any direct comparisons, but from everything I hear, the Pre is one of the better ones. If you crank the brightness up all the way, it's at least usable in most situations ... which I don't think is the case for some others.
    I've found the Pre to have the best screen outside of any mobile device I've ever owned, bar none. That was one of the most pleasant surprises after I bought mine on launch day--it was a nice, sunny day here in SoCal and I was amazed and delighted that I could actually read the screen.

I really do hope that whatever Palm comes up with next, they manage to retain this feature of the Pre. Really, it makes so little sense to me that so many companies are making mobile (!) devices that can't be read outside.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    The Pre has an awesome screen, best that I have ever used. I work out in the field a lot and in direct sunlight, I could never use a AMOLED screen that washes out in direct sunlight.