1.    #1  
    I have already blown 2 speakers on the Palm Pre, I dont keep my volume very high, I dont listen to music, I dont watch videos, all I really do is email, phone calls and sms. How can this speaker keep blowing up ? What kind of crap build quality does this phone have??? I have decided I am going to try and replace the current speaker with another type, I want some advice if this would work ?

The attached link shows the speaker I am thinking of using, I just wanted to know if anyone had dismantled their pre and had a look what diameter the current speaker is and how its connected?

AK-1308DA-9 Micro speaker China manufacturer
    My sprint palm pre just toasted its first speaker. I saw in another post somewhere that someone was saying interference with a touchstone charging dock may be to blame? I dont buy it, but i have ONLY charged through my touchstone.

How do you charge your Pre?
    Which speaker? The one in the earpiece or the one on the back?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyinfa View Post
    I have already blown 2 speakers on the Palm Pre, I dont keep my volume very high, I dont listen to music, I dont watch videos, all I really do is email, phone calls and sms. How can this speaker keep blowing up ? What kind of crap build quality does this phone have??? I have decided I am going to try and replace the current speaker with another type, I want some advice if this would work ?

The attached link shows the speaker I am thinking of using, I just wanted to know if anyone had dismantled their pre and had a look what diameter the current speaker is and how its connected?

[url= Micro speaker China manufacturer[/url]
    If you are referring to the speaker on the back of the phone, it is connected by two blade springs located side by side on the upper edge of the speaker, pressing against two rather large pads on the circuitboard.
    Don't know the diameter of the speaker, but a guesstimate would be about 20 mm and 4-5 mm thick.

I've had success just cleaning my speaker from metal filings. The stock speaker grille seems to be a bit too coarse, letting small debris through. I've put a piece of tape over mine, but that degrades the sound quality quite a bit. It is still better than the almost no sound at all I had when my speaker was full of metal filings.
  5.    #5  
    I have blown the speaker on the back! I use the touchstone to charge the phone. I have noticed that alot of small particles get caught on the speaker grill, not sure if things get past the grill and onto the speaker? Maybe that is what is causing the speakers blowing. I am going to change the speaker with another type and see what happens, just hope I can do it