Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I cant remember if it was even here at precentral or another forum, but I vaguely remember someone saying or suggesting that 'replacement' pres are now remaining 'new stock' instead of refurbs. Has this been confirmed or denied?

My pre's external speaker seems to have taken the proverbial dump, and I need to get it replaced. Just didnt know what to expect when I walk into the sprint store this week.

Thanks!

Zach
    my power button broke about a week ago and they gave me a brand new one in the box no questions asked.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    my power button broke about a week ago and they gave me a brand new one in the box no questions asked.

Sprint repair store?

If I can get a new one immediately, it would be worth my 45 mile trip to the place to take care of it in the morning!
    I had dropped my Pre which caused the touchscreen to become unresponsive. I took my Pre to a repair center (since the store I purchased it from refused to do anything about it) and they had to order me a refurbished phone.

If Sprint is offering brand new phones as a replacement it's probably due to their underwhelming sales of the product.
    Same thing happen to my power button and I got a brand new Pre sealed in the box. Came with all the accessories too!

Almost forgot to switch backs out and almost lost my TS backplate!
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    same here.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I'm on brand new one 4 in the past 2 months. Geez I wish I had just dealt with my broken power button on my first one by just taking the damn plastic power button piece off and cutting it on and off with a pin and by sliding it! The newest ones I have don't do data correctly. I'm getting a Hero today cuz I can't take it any more! *sniff* It's like giving up a drug :-(
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcamero View Post
    I'm on brand new one 4 in the past 2 months. Geez I wish I had just dealt with my broken power button on my first one by just taking the damn plastic power button piece off and cutting it on and off with a pin and by sliding it! The newest ones I have don't do data correctly. I'm getting a Hero today cuz I can't take it any more! *sniff* It's like giving up a drug :-(
    I'm not really impressed by HTC's hardware. Not that Hero is not a great phone but HTC.. hmm no !!! Why don't you wait for the newer iteration of a Palm phone? I'd do it for webOS .. !!!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    It's a pain in the **** to have to replace a phone for a million different reasons literally every 3 or 4 weeks for months on end. My first Pre was pretty much the shiz, but I've had horrible ones after that one! I really love WebOS and I'm happy with everything else about the phone (aside from battery life) and I'm willing to deal with minor issues such as a slightly blotchy screen or twistyness, but my phone should be reasonably dependable at least and this model phone is not working out in that regard. Tho this Pre seems to be sorta working in my house *knocks on all the wood in my house* now, so I'll give it another couple of days...
    I returned my pre last week cause the bottom row of my keyboard stopped working. They ordered me a refurbished one that ended up having a bad mic, then ordered me another refurb. No luck with getting a new phone here, but i wouldn't have know it was a refurb if i hadn't looked it up in reverse logistics. This ones workin great!!
    Our goal is that we want any differences between refurbished devices and new devices to be transparent.

Refurbished devices go through quite a few quality checks and should be received in like new condition.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  12.    #12  
    Unfortunately that is not the case. I understand what your goals are, but if you read these forums, you can see that it is not often the case to get a 'like new' refurb.
    I should be receiving my very first Pre replacement phone tomorrow. (Well, edit actually.. It'll technically be my second replacement, but I don't count the first replacement because I returned it within 24 hours to the store I got it from and received a 100% brand new phone) I've had this exact same phone since July 1st and haven't had a single issue with it. Out of the blue, the screen wouldn't come on, or the phone would just power off all together on it's own. I've done numerous doctors and have yet to install any patches (I think the Pre in it's own stock condition is wonderful and not worth the hassle of troubleshooting a bad patch install). So, with that said.. Since this is my first replacement, it would be quite awesome to actually get a brand new device instead of a refurb, but if the refurb looks, feels and acts like a brand new one then sure, why not. I just don't want to get some phone that has scratches on any of the body or anything wrong with the body/screen/keyboard itself.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I must really be in the minority here, but my Pre is totally non-responsive today and I must say that I am noticing only a slight decrease in performance. I think this phone is crap. I have since I got it and should have returned it.

I'm going back to Blackberry and never leaving. Learned my lesson. My battery barely lasts 2 hours...of minimal use. Email sucks. Phone is just ok. I don't use any multimedia for fear of running out of battery life and needing it for work later.

I'll say it again...WebOS...I just don't understand the love. Really I don't. Maybe someone can explain why something that rarely works without locking up, is painfully slow and can barely keep 2 items open before crashing is so revolutionary.
    I have tep from sprint and my screen broke assurion sent me a refurb but I must say the furb is WAY more sturdy than my original no oreo
    I ruined my Verizon launch day Pre Plus in water about 10 days ago and Asurion replaced it with a brand new one. I wonder if that's standard procedure for Verizon replacements.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Phones are replaced by sprint with a refurb unless you have had multiple exchanges with a 6 month period. Then they have the option to look into new or possibly a different device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girkmonster View Post
    I must really be in the minority here, but my Pre is totally non-responsive today and I must say that I am noticing only a slight decrease in performance. I think this phone is crap. I have since I got it and should have returned it.

I'm going back to Blackberry and never leaving. Learned my lesson. My battery barely lasts 2 hours...of minimal use. Email sucks. Phone is just ok. I don't use any multimedia for fear of running out of battery life and needing it for work later.

I'll say it again...WebOS...I just don't understand the love. Really I don't. Maybe someone can explain why something that rarely works without locking up, is painfully slow and can barely keep 2 items open before crashing is so revolutionary.
    I feel sorry for you. I guess if your device sucks - and it's an open secret that the quality control department in charge of the production process of the original Pre was led by a bunch of monkeys with monkey downs syndrome - it's hard to see the greatness hidden behind the glitches.

Not that it helps you in any way, but the experience that you've been having is far from universal - my Pre holds its battery charge for well over 24 hours with light to moderate use, which isn't stellar but works for me.
    It's locked up on me once in four months (not counting the times I've been experimenting with overclocks - if I decide to run the poor thing outside its specifications, that's my problem).
    I can easily have 10 cards open at the same time without running into problems, sometimes going as high as 20. That's a standard GSM Pre, mind you, not a Plus.

The thing about the Pre is that it's a Rev.A device - as with any Rev.A hardware (and software), us early adopters are basically fools that get institutionally shafted as we're being used as a sort of gamma testers - the product is ready to be sold, but definitely not ready for Prime Time with capital letters. webOS will be ready for that as soon as it utilizes the GPU for animations, which will speed things up immensely and should also provide better battery life. This is going to happen by the time the next device is ready to be marketed. What a relief to us stuck with the old device, right? At least we'll be able to download the OTA update When It's Done™.

One thing I kind of like about the Pre, in an entirely irrational way, is that it actually tells you, up front, that it's a beta sort of device - as in prenatal. Pre as a pre(!)fix means 'before'. This is the device BEFORE the one that's going to blow you away.
    It's a first look at webOS, which you would agree if your device wouldn't freeze all the time like you say it does, is the best mobile OS available today and in the foreseeable future. HP seems to think so too.

What ails the Pre as it exists right now is that webOS is still only half-baked; expect it to be all brown, crispy and delicious by the time it hits 2.0. Kind of like the first iPhone, which couldn't copy and paste, couldn't send MMS, and didn't have any apps at all to select from. It was a Rev.A product. It only became a force to be reckoned with once the 3G hit... one year later. Palm hasn't reached the one-year point just yet, and they won't release new hardware before they haven't rolled the old hardware out with all partners that are on board (i.e. AT&T in the US).
    Once that happens, wait for the iPhone 4G press conference and the "oh, and one more thing..." iPhone HD, which will be the 'surprise' for the media after the 4G has been 'leaked' by that 'stupid, stupid' guy who 'left it in a Biergarten'. As if. Anyway, wait for that to go down. And then wait for the Palm press conference a few days later.

All that being said (jesus, I did rant on and on, didn't I) you really, truly seem unhappy with your Pre as it's in your hands right now. I hope you can get a different device soon because with all the faults built into it right now, the Pre is NOT supposed to behave that way - you seem to have an especially wonky one out of the bin that the quality control monkeys should've thrown on the trash. Once the next wave of webOS devices hits, though, do yourself and the market one favor and go to your phone store, pick it up, and play with it for five minutes. See if it matches the terrible experience you're having right now. I will bet you euros for dollars that it will not.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I will say I had to replace my pre through the local Sprint store and i got a refurb. My mute/vibrate switch next tot he power button quit working. I tep and it was replaced with no quesionts but it was refurb. This was a week ago today that I recieved the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girkmonster View Post

And I see that with all your problems you have managed to post twice to this forum, and once was this complaint. If you have any questions, most everyone here would be more than happy to try to assist you.

I don't understand your comment about be unresponsive and "only a slight decrease in performance today", and "battery barely lasts 2 hours" is certainly a problem, or exaggeration...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast