Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcamero View Post
    I'm on brand new one 4 in the past 2 months. Geez I wish I had just dealt with my broken power button on my first one by just taking the damn plastic power button piece off and cutting it on and off with a pin and by sliding it! The newest ones I have don't do data correctly. I'm getting a Hero today cuz I can't take it any more! *sniff* It's like giving up a drug :-(
    Paln sent me a new power button easy to take out and put in... they also sent me a new USB door
    Refurb Pre #2 arrived today direct from Palm. This one doesnt have a large gap down the left side but it still has a gap larger than my current pre that I purchased new. It does have enough oreo that with the slider closed the top half rotates when performing the back gesture so it still is not 'like new' as I was promised. And this was supposedly a 'hand tested' unit. Its going back and I guess I will just take my chances that the crack in the front of my pre never reaches the display. What a waste of time. My assetion stands that they (palm) are simply unable of refurbing a pre and returning the slider to like new condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girkmonster View Post
    I must really be in the minority here, but my Pre is totally non-responsive today and I must say that I am noticing only a slight decrease in performance. I think this phone is crap. I have since I got it and should have returned it.

I'm going back to Blackberry and never leaving. Learned my lesson. My battery barely lasts 2 hours...of minimal use. Email sucks. Phone is just ok. I don't use any multimedia for fear of running out of battery life and needing it for work later.

I'll say it again...WebOS...I just don't understand the love. Really I don't. Maybe someone can explain why something that rarely works without locking up, is painfully slow and can barely keep 2 items open before crashing is so revolutionary.
    It's simple ... you're holding it wrong!
    I just got my first replacement pre since I bought mine in 9/09. I must say it runs much nicer, but I am still a little sketchy about the fact that it is a refurb because of everything I have heard on the forums. As far as its physical condition... it looks and feels brand new.
    Maybe I am just asking too much. It probably doesnt help that my Pre is literally 2 months old and I treat it with a lot of care so the slider is tight as a drum. If my Pre was a year old I probably would not care if the slider was looser. But I brought the pre out of pocket (full retail) and with it only being a couple of months old and having an inherent defect I damn well want an equivalent replacement. Palm still maintain that they cannot send me a new phone so I guess I will stick with the one I have and hope that the crack never reaches the touchscreen. I still find it difficult to believe that the CORPORATE HEADQUARTES OF A US COMPANY does not have the ability to provide new products for a minortiy of customers whose product develops a defect after a very limited ownership period. That is BAD managment.
    Did you buy it from palm or sprint?
    I have been a Sprint Pre owner for just over a week and I just ordered my second replacement phone. >

I bought a "new" refurb on ebay and it had a bad headset speaker when activated, it was replaced under warranty. Received a refurbished replacement from Sprint but now everyone I call says I sound muffled (mic is messed up or something - no it is not touching my cheek) and it randomly says I have 4 voicemails when I disconnect the USB drive mode (when I dont have any VM). Ordered another replacement at lunch today.

I was really hoping that I was just having a string of bad luck, but that doesnt seem to be the case. This is sad and concerning. I just came over from a Blackberry curve 8330. Never had a replacement needed or problem that required a visit to the Sprint store while using that phone. Yet, here I am, already getting a 3RD palm pre in less than 2 weeks. I absolutely LOVE the interface and design of the Pre, and can deal with the battery life (I get a full days use). However, I need it to actually work as a phone, first and foremost, which it appears incapable of doing reliably. One more strike, and the Pre is out....
    Quote Originally Posted by z31dude View Post
    Did you buy it from palm or sprint?
    I purchased it from Sprint. They tried to give me a wobbly refurb before I turned to Palm.
    Last edited by mrlimey; 07/08/2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Just got a replacement Pre from the Sprint store today. It didn't come in the big box the Original pre came in. Instead it came in a slim narrow white box with sprint branding. As expected its a refurb, but its a fantastic refurb. No oreo at all, perfect screen.. the only downside is the orange button is a bit hard to press but Im ok with that.
    I just now filed a claim to replace my Pre that I've had since Day 1. I have a crack in my USB port that is spreading to my screen. I have loved this phone since first putting my hands on it. It would be absolutely awesome to get a brand spanking new one as a replacement.
    Last edited by BuffaloSoldier63; 07/08/2010 at 02:39 PM.
    not standard. but wish it was.

had a few go arounds with replacement of my launch day pre too........ now I think the whole screen issue was the full phone screen protector I had on it. now why did the verizon tech not know about that issue?

Oh wait she did not even know how to turn the phone on.........

Verizion has backburnered the Palm phones and do not want anyone to catch on that they are great.......Push the Android
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I recently had to order a replacement Pre from Asurion through Sprint. The first replacement was a refurb. It immeadiately had problems with the screen/phone locking up and I called and told them. Second one they sent was brand new in the box, complete with all original packaging.
    I pick up my 'replacement' pre from the Sprint repair store this afternoon. I'll update with what I get.

My issue is the headphone jack. It's loose, sound crackles and channels go out while listening to music, and it sometimes don't detect when I unplug the headphones.

Update: Got a refurb. My original Pre had the white button. This one has the Chrome one.
    Last edited by Version_3; 07/09/2010 at 03:04 PM.
    In the past couple of weeks I have gotten 3 replacements, the first was a refurb 1st gen (my original was the newer one with the silvery button), headset speaker doesn't work unless you press on the back of the phone, 2nd one was another 1st gen refurb, wouldn't even power up and the 3rd was "new" in the box and at boot up the symbol screen flashed on and off. For what it's worth, the "new" in the box phone had some odd scratches on the inside of the battery area on the metal part, kinda looks like a kid got a hold of an engraver and had a little fun. Asurion wouldn't send me a new one until I sent the bad replacements back, I made them let me keep the original refurb so I at least had a phone to use, even if it is a pain. Waiting for my 4th replacement in what will be about 3 weeks time.
    Is there any recourse with Sprint directly if this keeps happening? It's getting old dealing with Asurion's non English speaking customer service reps and waiting for broken replacement phones.
    Third refurb from Palm arrived today. Popped off the back to find the gold antenna is all worn and scratched. Not willing to take the chance regarding what the damage to the antenna may do to reception. Back goes refurb number 3...
    Are you guys testing the phones in store first? I went to get my power button replaced and they said they don't have the replacement parts so they would order a whole new phone. I'm not sure I would like a refurb. If a refurb, I'd rather have them use that power button and keep my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlimey View Post
    Third refurb from Palm arrived today. Popped off the back to find the gold antenna is all worn and scratched. Not willing to take the chance regarding what the damage to the antenna may do to reception. Back goes refurb number 3...
    Good point. I looked at mine, the antenna looks new and bright gold, screen was immaculate, the USB door was tight and hard to get off, and the power button is clicky and responsive. It looks and feels new. One difference that I'm not sure about is a green Palm sticker on the top right under the battery cover. I know companies color code stickers to identify if its refurb. Can't remember what was there on my last phone.
    I guess my own replacement experience wasn't that unique, then. I originally bought a Pre last fall, and loved it. The device worked fine until January of this year, when the battery started shorting out the phone, and buttons on the keyboard quit working. When I went into Sprint for an exchange, I was told they only give refurbished units for exchanges. So even though I wanted a new phone to replace my new phone, I got someone else's discarded junk (the true definition of refurbished, imo).

The refurbished phone was, indeed, junk. I don't know if it came from Palm or Sprint (I had to pick it up at the Sprint store), but several of the keyboard buttons did not work, the slider was extremely loose, and the plastic casing around the keyboard had a crack all the way through it at the top right. I noticed these issues as I was driving home from picking up the phone (I lived about 30 minutes from the Sprint store at that time).

When I got home, I called the Sprint store. The rep I spoke with demanded that I come back up there that evening so he could examine the phone. But they would have closed before I could have gotten there. I finally convinced him to order a replacement without seeing the phone (as I pointed out to him, a crack is a definite problem - it's not as subjective as, say, you could consider a keyboard issue). He assured me that Sprint would give me a call when the phone was available for pickup, though it might take a couple of weeks.

After waiting three weeks (checking in with Sprint periodically during that time) and the phone not coming in, I finally drove up to the store and spoke with a manager. It turned out the phone had already come in, and Sprint returned it to wherever when I never came in to pick it up. This, even though I had called several times to check and see whether the phone had come in.

So I tried to order another refurb and the Manager told me they'd have to perform an hour of diagnostic testing on my phone before they could order another. I was livid, and that's when I cancelled my Sprint service and got rid of the Pre. POS.

I switched to an iPhone and loved it. But AT&T service sucks (or was I holding it wrong?!? haha). So I have ordered a Verizon Wireless Pre Plus that is coming in this evening. Hopefully, this will be a much better experience. I love WebOS, and love the Palm Pre design, but I feel build quality wasn't the best on the ones I had. I'm hoping the Pre Plus builders took more pride in their work and have produced a device that functions for more than a few months before dying.

(Note: I did have an EVO 4G for about 5 hours a few weeks ago - horrible build quality and so I returned it - Sprint is still giving me the run-around on that one, even though they supposedly have a no-questions-asked, 30-day-all-money-back guarantee. I liked the way the Android software worked, but HTC's execution was horrible. Unfortunate, really.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    I guess my own replacement experience wasn't that unique, then. I originally bought a Pre last fall, and loved it. The device worked fine until January of this year, when the battery started shorting out the phone, and buttons on the keyboard quit working. When I went into Sprint for an exchange, I was told they only give refurbished units for exchanges. So even though I wanted a new phone to replace my new phone, I got someone else's discarded junk (the true definition of refurbished, imo).

The refurbished phone was, indeed, junk. I don't know if it came from Palm or Sprint (I had to pick it up at the Sprint store), but several of the keyboard buttons did not work, the slider was extremely loose, and the plastic casing around the keyboard had a crack all the way through it at the top right. I noticed these issues as I was driving home from picking up the phone (I lived about 30 minutes from the Sprint store at that time).

When I got home, I called the Sprint store. The rep I spoke with demanded that I come back up there that evening so he could examine the phone. But they would have closed before I could have gotten there. I finally convinced him to order a replacement without seeing the phone (as I pointed out to him, a crack is a definite problem - it's not as subjective as, say, you could consider a keyboard issue). He assured me that Sprint would give me a call when the phone was available for pickup, though it might take a couple of weeks.

After waiting three weeks (checking in with Sprint periodically during that time) and the phone not coming in, I finally drove up to the store and spoke with a manager. It turned out the phone had already come in, and Sprint returned it to wherever when I never came in to pick it up. This, even though I had called several times to check and see whether the phone had come in.

So I tried to order another refurb and the Manager told me they'd have to perform an hour of diagnostic testing on my phone before they could order another. I was livid, and that's when I cancelled my Sprint service and got rid of the Pre. POS.

I switched to an iPhone and loved it. But AT&T service sucks (or was I holding it wrong?!? haha). So I have ordered a Verizon Wireless Pre Plus that is coming in this evening. Hopefully, this will be a much better experience. I love WebOS, and love the Palm Pre design, but I feel build quality wasn't the best on the ones I had. I'm hoping the Pre Plus builders took more pride in their work and have produced a device that functions for more than a few months before dying.

(Note: I did have an EVO 4G for about 5 hours a few weeks ago - horrible build quality and so I returned it - Sprint is still giving me the run-around on that one, even though they supposedly have a no-questions-asked, 30-day-all-money-back guarantee. I liked the way the Android software worked, but HTC's execution was horrible. Unfortunate, really.)
    First i heard of that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast