Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I received a brand new pre about 3 weeks ago from my Sprint store. I had static in the headphone jack
    well I got a replacment phone today and it was a brand new pre sealed in box. Maybe they did do away with the refurb's maybe to get rid of inventory.
  3.    #23  
    Just to update my original post, i went to pick up my replacement phone on friday, and it was a refurb. However... it is in much better shape than the first refurb I got.
    Getting my second replacement in 8 months. The first happened on the second day, this time the cell radio failed. I hope for a new phone, but by 10am this morning I will know.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    I'm on my 3th pre. The last one they gave me was brand new. Now I am getting another replacement due to blown speaker phone. Is any way to fix it cuz I don't want a new one. I don't want to have to go trough all the patches and updates and all the crap.. I love my pre, but getting a new one every two months is driving me crazy. Thanks
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    i went through two in two weeks, one the power button failed, the one after that had a raido problem. both replacements were refurbs not new ones.
    Got a refurb as a replacement last month as well.

-Brian
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    It depends on if they have the Pre in stock or if they have to order one... I recently had to have mine replaced and since they didn't have any in stock they had to order me one (a refurbished one). If you need a replacement make sure you go to a store with the phones in stock!
    Cracked the screen in mine a couple weeks ago, got a refurb from my local sprint service center.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I had mine replaced a few days ago, also with a refurb. It's a much better build than my other, has little Oreo effect, and it's center button is pearl rather than white.
    I'm with bell and a few months back had a replacement and it was a new unit, no refurb
    Just received my replacement from Verizon - brand new. And much better build quality than my original (that I've seen so far)
    I just sent my phone away, so I'll be expecting to get a replacement soon, I guess we'll see if it's new or a refurb soon. (Although I don't really know the difference between a brand new and a refurbished one anyways )
    picked up a replacement on MOnday, its a refurb.

I am on my 6th replacement, too lazy to list all defects, but yes..it ranged from bad mic/headset mode, non responsive touchscreen, bad speaker (non working), static noise during a call.

If you read all complaints on the forum, yes I suffered them all.

The funny thing is: these were ALL Refurbs that had the problem.

I have 4 other lines on my account, all with Palm Pres..and the new in box ones are solid. (launch day pres too)

To HardBeatz, I am not sure if Palm facility is different than Sprint facility for Refurbs, but the Sprint refurbs SUCK. Trust me, they do not test them (well from my experience).. (some above mentioned were back to back returned too)

I had a pre on my account call in for Palm Warranty, and that line seems to be doing much better on refurbs than the one I recieve from the Sprint store

edit clarification: I am sure Sprint tests the Refurb units with diagnostic tests, just not thorough and rigorous testing....just wanted to make that clear from my post
    Last edited by trim81; 05/20/2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    In Feb, I had a replacement from Assurion (ran over it with a truck).
    Recently started having random reset issue. Called tech support, they offered to get me a new phone. I said great, then they asked how I wanted to pay for it. Wrong...
    Finally got into a store, and they had to order one. (Oh, you have this in developer mode, that isn't covered by the warranty, but we'll do a courtesy exchange). The had to order a replacement. It actually had gouge marks in the screen, as if it were dropped. Had to go to a store to get it looked at before they would replace it, which was ridiculous.
    Replacement is a refurb. No issue with it, and the last two have been relatively free of Oreo.
    I just got a replacement phone on Monday from Asurion, through Sprint's TEP, and it was a brand new unit in the box, with all the accessories. But last month when I had to get replacements, they were both refurbs that came in Asurion's box.
    The refurb I received from Palm last week as an advanced exchange was horrible. I sent it straight back. It had a huge gap down one side and a large amount of Oreo. The customer service rep who organized the advance exchange told me it would be 'like new'... not even close. The box that refurbs come in from palm say 'back to you good as new'. Made me laugh my *** off. I have been really pleased with the build quality of the Pre that I got new but unfortunately it developed a spontaneous crack at the ear piece. Palm have insisted on sending me out another refurb to replace the crap one I sent back but I hold out little hope it will be much better than the first. I am probably just going to end up keeping the Pre I have and hoping the crack never makes it to the actual screen because the rest of the device is solid.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    SH*$ I hope my replacement is not going to be all the Junk you guys have been returning!!!!!

My launch Pre works great, no Oreo or Gaps. It is fast and responsive, it just has a shedding problem. It seems the plastic coating was coming off the screen and surrounding areas and Sprint decided to replace it for me.....guess I will see in a couple of days.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i recently got a pretty shotty refurb from a sprint store in frisco tx.. my launch day pre felt better in my hand.. didn't believe the oreo effect existed without any operator error.. but this refurb was definitely not sturdy the moment i got it.. feels good when the slider is open.. but when closed, the edges dont line up.. my "fiance" also got a refurbished pre that was better than mine but the slider does seem a little off on hers as well. i took my refurb back the second day i had it and told them to make sure theres no issues when i decide to come back for another pre if the "oreo effect" become worse.. so, no biggie... i'm dealing with it.. i'm excited for the next webOS device. i know its gonna be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i recently got a pretty shotty refurb from a sprint store in frisco tx.. my launch day pre felt better in my hand.. didn't believe the oreo effect existed without any operator error.. but this refurb was definitely not sturdy the moment i got it.. feels good when the slider is open.. but when closed, the edges dont line up.. my "fiance" also got a refurbished pre that was better than mine but the slider does seem a little off on hers as well. i took my refurb back the second day i had it and told them to make sure theres no issues when i decide to come back for another pre if the "oreo effect" become worse.. so, no biggie... i'm dealing with it.. i'm excited for the next webOS device. i know its gonna be awesome!
    Yes! That is how the refurb Palm sent me was. The gap down the left side of the phone was almost 2mm when closed. Prior to dealing with Palm directly I had been to a Sprint repair store and the refurb(S) they tried to give me there were just as bad. The slider is the weak point in the Pre's design and they (Palm) can 'refurb' Pre's until they are blue in the face replacing the screen, buttons etc but unless they replace the chasis including slider mechanism if the slider has been abuse at all or become loose they can never be restored to a 'factory tight' condition again. You just have to hope you get a refurb that was not used heavily prior to its reconditioning. There in lies the lottery aspect of the refurb game when you deal with slider phones.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast