Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am considering making a switch to sprint tomorrow from AT&T (iPhone) and with all the turmoil going over at Palm and limited developer support should I still go with the pre instead of an android phone? I know Sprint doesn't carry the pre plus but does the memory difference real make a difference?
    If it's a phone you think you'll be happy with for a year (sprint lets you upgrade each year), then yes. The phone won't stop working if Palm gets bought or goes under, and frankly it's great phone right now.

If you're trying to move to Sprint for the better pricing, the Pre is still an excellent phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    I am considering making a switch to sprint tomorrow from AT&T (iPhone) and with all the turmoil going over at Palm and limited developer support should I still go with the pre instead of an android phone? I know Sprint doesn't carry the pre plus but does the memory difference real make a difference?
    There are rumors that Sprint might be getting the Pre/Pixi Plus models soon. So if you really want a Palm phone, wait for that, as the original Pre has a lot of hardware issues. The Pre Plus has double the storage and double the RAM, meaning it can handle a lot more without lagging or getting the dreaded "Too Many Cards" error.

Personally, if I were you, I'd either wait for the Pre Plus or wait for the EVO. But both options involve waiting. That's my suggestion.

If you absolutely need to move to Sprint now, then go ahead and go with the Pre. But DON'T go with one of their current crappy Android offerings. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Moment and Hero.
    Op, why do you need to switch now? If you want sprint, can you wait a few months to see if Palm intros new hardware and gives a timetable? My guess is a new release in 3Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Op, why do you need to switch now? If you want sprint, can you wait a few months to see if Palm intros new hardware and gives a timetable? My guess is a new release in 3Q.
    +1
    And don't make a move to Android. You have had the iPhone. There is only one equal or up tick. That is Palm. and many of us believe there is a new model coming out soon.
    As far as the memory issue. Unless you plan on loading a lot of songs or a few videos, there is not much need for the plus.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I had the iPhone for year and a half. I am going on my third month with my Sprint Pre now, and I love it! I find that I can get a lot done a lot faster than I could with my iPhone. Plus, its got a way cheaper plan. Preware is easier than having to jailbreak an iPhone, and it doesn't cause slow downs like I had with my iPhone when I got jailbroken apps on it (I used blacksn0w)
    Also, you can make the Pre's CPU faster. And multitasking = amazing.
    Plus, make some money selling your iPhone! Jailbreak it and then unlock it for international use, people in S. America are hungry for iPhones, I made a small fortune on mine.

And yeah, you could wait for a bit. I'm going to stay with my Pre until next Spring, and see how the EVO does/what's new then. Maybe the new iPhone that will most likely will come out this summer will be better. Only time will tell. But for now, I love my Pre.
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    YES! Get the pre!!!
    If you are into philanthropy than yes, buy a pre
    There are quite a few people who have swiched to the Pre from the iPhone and are very happy they made the switch. Sprint plans are much more economical.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Its a great phone. If you need the security of a healthy manufacturer then yeah.. wait. If you want a good phone with a wonderful OS and plenty of apps all for far less than the competition.. then get one!
    It is hard to say. I love my Pre, but some people are not happy with theirs. I'm only using half the storage, so 8 GB is plenty for me. My phone runs great, and it gets better with each update.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    The choice always belongs to you,I'm sure you will make the right choice. (Hint) Life move fast...lol
    There's no point in buying a new phone now since around June there will be plenty of new phones probably not from palm.
    I have had my Sprint Pre since December and I have had no issues at all.
    I say go for it, and like others have said Sprint Lets you upgrade in a year, so you will get to use it for year, and by Next Spring you can either get the new palm or any other phone that comes along within the next year.
    To answer your question, yes the extra memory does make a difference. If you have a chance to get a Pre + then do that. The Pre is great, but more memory will always be better.

And if you don't mind waiting till the end of the year, there WILL be a new Palm phone with an even faster processor, and more memory, but there will always be faster phones and you have to buy sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I have had my Sprint Pre since December and I have had no issues at all.
    I say go for it, and like others have said Sprint Lets you upgrade in a year, so you will get to use it for year, and by Next Spring you can either get the new palm or any other phone that comes along within the next year.
    +2
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Pre+/Pixi+ should be available on AT&T in the next few weeks, so why not wait for those models to land there? I too am using iPhone 3G and am anxiously waiting for AT&T to announce Pre+ availability, as I'm due for an upgrade and will be switching to that as soon as it lands.
    I love my Pre. And I have been very happy with Sprint...especially the pricing they offer in comparison with everyone else.

The Pre is a fantastic phone, and really holds it's own with the other offerings out there. However, I would have to agree with some of the other posts to wait until summer to decide, as there will be a lot of new hardware hitting then. Maybe the Pre Plus, or maybe something else. Either way, choice is a good thing.
    I dropped the over-priced AT&T services and the Iphone for a cheaper Sprint services and bought the Plam Pre phone. It was the best choice I've made since 2007 when I dumped my crazy girlfriend!

Seriously, it was a good choice FOR ME. In fact, more so than I'd thought. Last month, I had to move my cubicle to the middle of a first floor room of a very large government office . Because to this, the signal to a free WI-FI service provided by the city was lost. I'd been using it to surf unapproved sites on my laptop - such as; Ebay, PreCentral, and ESPN. Now, using the tethering app, I can leave my Pre by the window and you know the rest of the story....

What's right for me may not be right for you.
    Last edited by pichai; 04/26/2010 at 08:22 AM.
    If you don't mind the question. Why are you getting rid of ur iphone?
    Is it att or the phone itself?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast