1. gmk
    I finally got a Pre Plus from Ebay. A plan on Verizon is to expensive so I am just using it like an Ipod touch. My question is if there is another way to get Internet on the Pre besides for Wifi. I have Wifi at home which works great. However, at work there is no way the IT staff will add my Pre on to the network to allow it to have Wifi access. Is there a way to get an Internet connection on a Pre through a bluetooth connection or through having it plugged into the usb port of a computer? If any one knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
  2. gmk
    Does anyone have any ideas.
    Thank You
    I have two ideas for you.

1) Go to Sprint and just tell them you want service on that phone. I'm almost 100% sure they'll be able to oblige considering (assuming) that your phone is a CDMA device. They are extremely cheap. $69.99 for virtually unlimited everything (minutes are free any mobile to mobile) and many, and I mean many, employers offer 15-20% discounts for Sprint.

2) A USB connection actually may be worth an attempt, but the only way I see this happing is through a router that supports this. Although, the Pre may be incapable of receiving packets through the micro-usb connection.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one, Reign25, as there are many factors that make a Verizon branded device incompatible with Sprint, even though they are both CDMA. Internet through USB is probably not possible as well, at least from PC to the Pre without some major modding which, as far as I know, hasn't happened.

I'm not bashing Reign25 so don't take it that way.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    maybe get a mifi card or tether with current phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    maybe get a mifi card or tether with current phone?
    Excellent idea. gmk, if you have the money for it, this is your best bet. Highly recommended by me.
    If you have windows 7 and a wireless card on your work computer, you can tether your phone from your office computer. I use conectify, and it works well. You would only be able to use it near your computer, so you may as well use that instead.
  8. gmk
    Thanks for the ideas unfortunately my work still uses XP. I just had an idea, my old phone which I lost was a Verizon vx8600 on pageplus. It was just found and I am about to get it back. When it is connected to a computer through activesync it connects to the Internet through the computer. It might work if I tether the vx8600 to my work computer and then turn it into a hotspot. I currently am using a net10 phone which cost me $22 for 900 minutes and 4 month of service add in the availability of Wifi why would I pay $70 to sprint or $100 to verizon each month. I got my pre plus for $132 on ebay and when it is range of a wifi connection it has almost complete functionality. I am just trying if there is a way to get an Internet connection on my pre at work. If I am unable to so thankfully I have a pretty good backup which is my work computer.
    Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one, Reign25, as there are many factors that make a Verizon branded device incompatible with Sprint, even though they are both CDMA. Internet through USB is probably not possible as well, at least from PC to the Pre without some major modding which, as far as I know, hasn't happened.

I'm not bashing Reign25 so don't take it that way.
    lol I didn't take it as a bash, but thanks for lookin out anyway.

You're probably right about the Verizon thing, but I have no factual evidence to support whether or not it's possible. I would say give it a try since it can't hurt.

As for the USB internet connection; I wasn't talking about PC to Pre. What I was referring to was a modem/router to Pre connection through the USB. This is currently possible (and has always been) with routers and modems to connect a computer to the internet if it lacks an NIC port.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm almost sure that a Verizon phone can be flashed to the Sprint network, BUT I don't think Sprint nor Verizon allow this. I actually did this with another network, while it wasn't Sprint or Verizon, it was CDMA.
    Twitter: @Eddie255