Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Palm's announcement of new APIs in underwhelming. What Palm needs is a killer app, a reason for people to switch from that overgrown phone to the Pre. Almost all of the improvements in OS 4.0 Palm already has. New APIs will keep it way ahead. But that doesn't make people buy the phone.

A killer app would.

What killer app would you like to see. Maybe we can get a developer to devote the time to make it.
    not killer app. But for companies to port over their apps from the iphone to webos..there alot of apps companies make only for the iphone for example an app for checking train times in the UK...simple stuff like that
    well, they would need those api's to make a killer app. so i wouldnt consider it underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles77k View Post
    well, they would need those api's to make a killer app. so i wouldnt consider it underwhelming.
    not that i am underestimating webos dev's creativity but what killer app could their possibly be?
    Quote Originally Posted by charles77k View Post
    I completely agree. The new api's are a very big deal for all of us. It gives Devs the tools they need to make the "killer" apps that we want.
    Surely we already have Palm's first killer app?

http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/web/jigglyboobies

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by thebounder View Post

im suprised that app got in..though with the ability to add apps through quickinstall...surprised there havnt been worse more...adult apps made
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    the free Mobile Hotspot deal with Verizon was the Killer App that sole me on the PPP. That's an awesome feature/deal that no one else has. Saves you at least $30 a MONTH.

This needs to be advertised more widely, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebounder View Post

Fortunately, it's only available through the web feed where unsuspecting eyes are less likely to see it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by rklurfeld View Post
    Palm's announcement of new APIs in underwhelming. What Palm needs is a killer app, a reason for people to switch from that overgrown phone to the Pre. Almost all of the improvements in OS 4.0 Palm already has. New APIs will keep it way ahead. But that doesn't make people buy the phone.

A killer app would.

What killer app would you like to see. Maybe we can get a developer to devote the time to make it.
    Killer app? In this day and age of easy app porting and 1000s of apps there is no such thing as a killer app. Palm just needs to add apps; and they're doing that on a daily basis. The release of the apis isn't underwhelming news b/c without them you can't get alot of the killer apps.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    the in smartphones, the killer app isn't something you go download from the app store. Its a feature or the iphone's killer app is how it integrates with itunes. The killer app for the Evo will be that its the only 4g phone. If palm/sprint/verizon didn't drop the ball, the killer app for webOS could have been multitasking and mobile hotspot.

But the thing about killer apps is people have to know about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rklurfeld View Post
    Palm's announcement of new APIs in underwhelming.
    No, it isn't. It really, really, REALLY isn't. Those, plus the adoption of the PDK, removes the last few things that the iPhone can do and the Pre can't. Assuming Palm doesn't fold, by the Pre's 2 year anniversary we should have:

1: Bluetooth keyboards, file transfer, and random-device-sync.

2: "Smart shopper" UPC style apps. (Snap a pic of a UPC code, get an instant price check.)

3: Local file access. Real on-device file management, sharing files between apps on the same device, document & photo editing, etc.

4: Local-network access, for printing and file share.

5: Cool things I haven't even thought of yet.

Heck, I expect all those things by Christmas. And once we get full parity with iPhone's capabilities... then our killer app is "our OS doesn't suck."

I poked around a friend's iPhone the other day, and trust me -- dollars and apps aside, WebOS cleans iPhone's clock.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    My Pre does everything I want my Smart Phone to do. I'm not sure what kind of app would make it better and be called a "killer" app.

ET
    With those APIs, the only thing that simply cannot be done on the current generation devices is augmented reality (due to the lack of a compass). And ultimately, the viability of a smartphone today has everything to do with the apps available for it. Palm's real weakness is simply that the low (so far) number of devices in the field, and some missing APIs, are holding back some must-have apps that make webOS lack viability for some people.

For example, I've been a huge supporter of Palm for having created what I think is simply the best mobile OS on the market. However, I can't stay with the platform forever without some very key capabilities. One is audio recording, which I think will come in due time. The other is the ability to edit MS Office documents, and that's one thing I'm a little less positive about. And if that functionality doesn't come relatively soon, then I'll have to switch whether I like it or not. I just can't go on forever without that particular capability.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    My point in starting this thread is that users don't care about the inner runnings of a phone. Macs have always had better hardware and OSes, but PCs ate Apple's lunch in the computer world.

Bluetooth keyboards? In which pocket will I carry that? UPC programs? That already exists and the word from that developer is that the camera in the Pre doesn't focus well enough for the program to work properly.

Local network access? Any business worth it's salt has it all firewalled up. While my copiers have their own IP addresses to which you can print, you must be inside the firewall to do that.

Porting iPhone apps to the Pre doesn't make anyone with an iPhone switch to a Pre. You may be noticed, but Palm may not be able to last until next year. HTC pulled out of the bidding, leaving only Lenovo, who hasn't bid for Palm yet.

A 4G unit with a hotspot app may be the answer.
    can't you edit documents in Google docs?