Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
  1. dsuycott's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #41  
    thanks for the replies...even the haters and tough guy truckers!!! Impressive and insightful comments!!! The persistent problems with my wifes phones are not do to patching...all but the first haven't been patched, not to mention they have been taken care of very well except for the poor slave labor manufacturing and crap QC. Mine have been patched and patched and patched but my issues are consistent with those whom have not patched...hhmmm. I have been using this patched all to hell pixi about a month with NO problems at all and could care less about the pre at this point(i know that makes me less of a stud but I have a large one!). This thing is Palms PowerBook 5300...and sprint is handling us the same way Apple handled their users...its the users fault that the keyboards burst into flames not Apple! I teched for an Apple Dev. site for about 6 years in the ealy 90's, I know quite a bit about how to push bad hardware on people, having to order new motherboards and monitors over and over and over while smiling and saying 'oh my we must have gotten a bad one..again...and again.
    Made in China (exported slave labor comes with no guarantees except for quick delivery!)
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    With 3 lines (now 2) on the sprint family account...all Pre's...we've been through about 15 of them. Not really a case of being too hard on them, but more of a case of getting defective ones. Screen splotches, dead pixels, stuck pixels, too much oreo/gap, stuck kbs, stuck power button, one that wouldn't rotate screen holding in landscape, one had wifi not working, etc. But a few did develop problems over time such as cracks around the USB.

    What i'm thinking is my definition of a decent phone with no defects is different from another persons. Maybe a splotch on the screen is fine with you, but not with me. Something tells me if i looked at someone's launch day Pre on here that they're bragging about, then i'd find something wrong with it that would be unacceptable to me.

    I'm as gentle with my phones as anyone. I'm the kind of person that can't stand to see a smudge on the screen. My experience alone and from others i know tell me this hardware is crap though.

    I'm sure the response will be that i should be more forgiving and learn to live with some defects. Sorry..no.
    Amen brother....
  3. #43  
    I'm on my 3rd Pre and I've had just about all the issues the OP mention and even a couple more. I lived with the problems or tried to fix them myself until eventually it got unbearable. I could see a really picky person going through 6 devices easily....and even if I'm not as picky as some I have no problem with people who are...they paid hard earned money and should have a phone free of mfg defects.
  4. dsuycott's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I'm on my 3rd Pre and I've had just about all the issues the OP mention and even a couple more. I lived with the problems or tried to fix them myself until eventually it got unbearable. I could see a really picky person going through 6 devices easily....and even if I'm not as picky as some I have no problem with people who are...they paid hard earned money and should have a phone free of mfg defects.

    ditto...i'm way more accepting of certain flaws and enjoy fixing them, up to the point of it being ridiculous...i love the patching angle, though i'm a nube to that end of it hardware repair has always been my thing...
    don't forget people, even though you may have paid 199.00 like myself or even less, this is still supposed to be a $400 phone...plus tax.

    i also don't buy into the whole "treat it nicely" trap...it's a phone that is a high use utility, make it like one, others have and still do.
  5. #45  
    I'm about to be on my 4th pre, although I had my 1st pre from launch morning until December-ish. The modem went out on that (no tweaks or anything on here helped out, it was total hardware issue).

    Got my 2nd phone, which was a refurbished and had that until about a month ago. For about a 2 week period, the touchscreen would periodically not be responsive to anything, including the gesture area. Finally, while in DC (on a business trip away from the ability to get to a Sprint store go figure), my the screen completely died in response, although I could still speedial, receive a call and a few things that don't require the screen (VERY few things are in that category, it sucks!). The humor in that is that I turned the alarm on for the next morning and about an hour later the screen died. NOW...if you don't dismiss or snooze the alarm (which goes off even while on vibrate), it keeps going off! Even when I took the battery out and put it back in, it'd remember it! NOT fun! (but funny when I look back).

    Got a brand new Pre about 3 weeks ago, the majority of the touchscreen stopped working on me last night so once again, pretty much a phone to receive calls and that's all. Not a happy camper.

    On that note though, I LOVE the Pre and can't wait to get a replacement one that I hope lasts longer than at least 3 weeks! I wish my original 1 was still working, that ******* was rugged!
  6. #46  
    on my second first speaker cut out.. so sprint is going to waive the early term fee??????? for wat specific reason?????
  7. #47  
    And even though I'm on my 1st Pre, I recognize that Palm has a big problem with hardware quality and they have had this problem for a while. Even before Ruby came on board.

    Now of course there are iPhones with problems, and BBs and Driods. But Palm obviously has a problem. And if they're going to survive they HAVE to solve this problem.
  8. #48  
    All phones break, just a fact of life and all unhappy people come onto forums and complain, another fact of life. Go onto any forum for any brand of phone and it's the same. My previous phone was a Blackberry and had to replace it in less than 6 months, the phone before that was an LG, went through 2 of those in a little over a year. My Pre has lasted longer than my previous brands.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    ok then tell us what you have done to your phone to make these things happen instead of saying, it broke out of thin air. Obviousely technology will not last forever but 9 times out of 10 it is PEBKAC or PIUE. "Problem exists between keyboard and chair" or "Problem is user error". I work with technology as an Support Technician so trust me when I say "You obviously did something wrong" but didn't admit to it.
    well, mine has broken several times out of thin air. I really get amused at some of you guy's condensending attitudes toward people that have trouble with their phones. I've had a couple speakers stop working, screens with streaks through them, power button start cracking (without dropping), and the volume keys not work. And I'm sorry, but most support techs I've ever spoken with seem to actually know very little, so high siding on that is a fail. It's like saying my toyota hasn't sped off so your full of $^&@. Btw, I think I heard your mom just call you cause the spaghettis ready. PEBAK AND PIUE, get a grip mr fancy words.
  10. RickNY's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Might want to try being a little nicer to your phones. As I always say... I am on my Launch Day Pre and have not one single issue. I have dropped my phone with the slider open and closed, I have sat on my phone, I have left it in my car in 100 degree weather all day. I have put my phone in the freezer. The only thing I haven't done to it was run it over with my Evo.
    Yeah -- try keeping your phone in perfect condition -- and just plug a stereo cable into the headphone jack every time you get into your car.. You'll be replacing yours, too.

    Every single one of my Pres (I also started on launch day) have been flawless cosmetically.. Never dropped, scratched, etc. The headphone jack did it in every time.
  11. dsuycott's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    All phones break, just a fact of life and all unhappy people come onto forums and complain, another fact of life. Go onto any forum for any brand of phone and it's the same. My previous phone was a Blackberry and had to replace it in less than 6 months, the phone before that was an LG, went through 2 of those in a little over a year. My Pre has lasted longer than my previous brands.
    1. "All" phones do not break
    2. it's not a fact of life
    3. i've had many phones in the past 20+yrs that have not failed
    4. i've had many phones in the last year, rather 9months, that have failed because of poor QC and manufacturing.

    your point would be?
  12. #52  
    I just finished page 1 and I want to say I am on my first Pre (almost 8 months now) with no problems until the other day when I started getting a shutdown when (and this is my fault) the phone 'hard.' I realized it only happened with my 'el cheepo 2nd battery and only when it is less than 20% full' --- my fault totally.

    I had one other issue (again it was user or operator error) becuase I some how stalled an app mid download for an update and deleted the app so the phone kept trying to update something that wasn't there and stuck. Minor reset the phone and all works fine.

    I do know 1 or 2 people who have issues that seem like not their fault but like anything (automobiles, blenders, microwaves) there will be lemons or bad ones here and there.

    I have a minor Oreo effect but it is the same on my friends who have slider phones (non-Palm)...it's not an effect that is solely on the Palm Pre's.

    I say if you are unhappy or unlucky with them move on to something you will like better.

    DH has a Verizon PalmPre+ and he has the same issue when he uses my cheepo battery (that is how we discovered what my issue was). He has a minor Oreo effect too (just like all slider phones).

    Good luck in whatever you choose to do...hope you find that 'perfect' phone (whatever that might be)
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuycott View Post
    1. "All" phones do not break
    2. it's not a fact of life
    3. i've had many phones in the past 20+yrs that have not failed
    4. i've had many phones in the last year, rather 9months, that have failed because of poor QC and manufacturing.

    your point would be?
    Wow, what kind of cell phone did you have 20+ years ago?
  14. #54  
    if i was picky, i'd have gone through several phones by now. Broken power button, bubble in screen, now starting to get oreo, random restarts...

    The build quality is terrible. The form factor isn't.
  15. #55  
    I dropped mine last night (first time) and now my power button seems stuck in place. If I push it hard enough I can get it to power off/turn my screen on. Does anyone know of a fix to unjam the button or do I need to visit my local Sprint repair place? (oh joy)
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  16. Deck82's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #56  
    I'm about to be on Pre #6 (3 in a 5 day period as every refurb they gave me had problems that I would point out in the store) as this one now locks up at leaset once every day and requires a battery pulled. The screen will not light up when I open it so I will close it and open it again only to have it do a Luna restart. Starting to have a lot of problems with the "Z" and "M" on the keyboard not working at all. Going by a repair ceter this afternoon becasue this is getting really old as I miss calls and texts all the time becasue I do not notice the phone is loocked up in my pocket.
  17. ecoleye's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    I dropped mine last night (first time) and now my power button seems stuck in place. If I push it hard enough I can get it to power off/turn my screen on. Does anyone know of a fix to unjam the button or do I need to visit my local Sprint repair place? (oh joy)
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...utton-fix.html
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuycott View Post
    thanks for the replies...even the haters and tough guy truckers!!! Impressive and insightful comments!!! The persistent problems with my wifes phones are not do to patching...all but the first haven't been patched, not to mention they have been taken care of very well except for the poor slave labor manufacturing and crap QC. Mine have been patched and patched and patched but my issues are consistent with those whom have not patched...hhmmm. I have been using this patched all to hell pixi about a month with NO problems at all and could care less about the pre at this point(i know that makes me less of a stud but I have a large one!). This thing is Palms PowerBook 5300...and sprint is handling us the same way Apple handled their users...its the users fault that the keyboards burst into flames not Apple! I teched for an Apple Dev. site for about 6 years in the ealy 90's, I know quite a bit about how to push bad hardware on people, having to order new motherboards and monitors over and over and over while smiling and saying 'oh my we must have gotten a bad one..again...and again.
    Made in China (exported slave labor comes with no guarantees except for quick delivery!)
    Now it all makes sense.

    I have two pre's, one is launch day, the other was replaced once because of screen splotches, but the replacement has them too (as well as a dead pixel), although not as bad. I decided to ask Sprint for another replacement anyway, since I wanted a "perfect phone". They wouldn't do it for the screen splotches and one dead pixel - they said that all the Pre's they had seen have screen splotches and they aren't going to keep replacing them for that - they will replace them if the phone stops working in some way.

    I wasn't really bothered. My screen splotches aren't noticeable except under certain circumstances.

    I have had many devices and every single one of them had a flaw if I wanted to be anal enough. I have gotten over that. I don't expect perfection, I just expect fully functioning and no glaring flaws.

    Could my Pre's be made better? Yes. Does their build quality bother me and affect my use of the phone? No.

    I am certainly glad I am not a Sprint store. I would not tolerate the customer that wants to look through my entire stock for a perfect phone and then return it a week later because he was finally able to find a flaw. I'd refund his money and tell him goodbye.
  19. dsuycott's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #59  
    to BevCraw:

    i guess i was stretching with the "+", sorry. back then they were called "mobile phones" and ours was specifically a "bag phone". in fact up until 4 or 5 years ago (ish)...my parents still used theirs! my sister and i said they needed to get flips instead and step into the year 2000. so they did, otherwise they would still be taking this bagged creature with them everywhere. i remember the first time i saw the motorola StarTac and about jizzed all over the store...i'm sure if i dug up in the basement and found a way to get service it would still work...hell my 1st Gen Newton w/modem still works! i had an Eworld account and could dial into a 800 number anywhere in the country, the thing was on the road with me for years tossed and hit, etc.etc....it STILL WORKS ...in fact i amused myself the last time i turned it on and found a 2600 Hz tone generator i installed on it so i could get free pay phone calls!!! i smiled...that was so much easier than the old 'hold two pay phone handsets speaker to mic while dropping in coins to jack up the opposite phone then talk on the hacked one hit change return on the other and get all my money back technique', besides once the phone companies figured the change hack they shortened the cable on the phones, then we had to go to radio shack and build a 'blue box' to make the 2600 hz beep, but if you had a Newton!!!!! there was an App For That!!!!... i'm smiling again...ahhh the old days...
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuycott View Post
    to BevCraw:

    i guess i was stretching with the "+", sorry. back then they were called "mobile phones" and ours was specifically a "bag phone". in fact up until 4 or 5 years ago (ish)...my parents still used theirs! my sister and i said they needed to get flips instead and step into the year 2000. so they did, otherwise they would still be taking this bagged creature with them everywhere. i remember the first time i saw the motorola StarTac and about jizzed all over the store...i'm sure if i dug up in the basement and found a way to get service it would still work...hell my 1st Gen Newton w/modem still works! i had an Eworld account and could dial into a 800 number anywhere in the country, the thing was on the road with me for years tossed and hit, etc.etc....it STILL WORKS ...in fact i amused myself the last time i turned it on and found a 2600 Hz tone generator i installed on it so i could get free pay phone calls!!! i smiled...that was so much easier than the old 'hold two pay phone handsets speaker to mic while dropping in coins to jack up the opposite phone then talk on the hacked one hit change return on the other and get all my money back technique', besides once the phone companies figured the change hack they shortened the cable on the phones, then we had to go to radio shack and build a 'blue box' to make the 2600 hz beep, but if you had a Newton!!!!! there was an App For That!!!!... i'm smiling again...ahhh the old days...
    I know that I wasn't the first one on my block to get a cell phone. My first one was a Moto MicroTAC in the mid 1990's. It cost more than a bag phone, but was worth it for the smaller size. But it was not "micro" at all. My first analog StarTac was tiny by comparison. I wish I still had some of my old tech toys, but I wasn't sentimental about them back then.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions