Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At least the one in Oviedo Florida.

So my 17 year old son's friend has a BB Storm and has hated it! For about 9 months he has admired my son's Sprint pre and has been wanting one. When the pre plus came to Verizon he was excited to get the pre plus. Now I have showed him all of what the pre can do through preware, homebrew, 800 MHz etc., so when his contract ended this week he headed on over to the Verizon store in Oviedo Florida. When he told the associate the phone that he wanted (remember this kids 17), the sales associate told him that the pre plus s-cks and isn't any good. The company is going out of business and that he should buy the "better phone" in the Droid!

Luckily I had told him that the sales associates would try to push him to the Droid so he stuck to his guns and said that he loved the pre and that's what he wanted. From what he just told me, the sales associate wen't on to tell him that the pre can't do this or that, it has no apps etc.. He then said again that the pre plus is the phone that he wanted. The sales associate then told him "don't say I didn't warn you" and then went to the back. Roughly 5 minutes later, the sales associate returns and tells him that they had no pre pluses in stock and that he would have to wait a few days! I have no reason to believe that he was lying, but it almost sounds to me that he was trying to get him to rush and just give up and take the Droid.

Needless to say, I will be going to the Verizon store with my son and his friend on Wednesday with our Sprint pre's to see if he can match what my overclocked patched up 8GB Sprint pre can do against this Droid. He wanted to bring me with him anyway, but I intend on making a complaint (I'm sure it wont accomplish anything though). I would appreciate any advice that I can get from the pre plus users who are familiar with the Droid.

I will update you guys on probably wednesday (the day his pre comes in), to how he's treated. I'm sure all Verizon stores can't be this bad, can they???

Thanks
    Last edited by notaphonegeek; 04/25/2010 at 01:01 AM.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    wow, dude its a good thing he had stuck to his ground and demanded the palm pre, also good that you had pre- warned him about the verizon reps cause I'm sure that if you didn't then he would of gotten the droid instead. show that verizon guy who's boss will ya
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    wow, dude its a good thing he had stuck to his ground and demanded the palm pre, also good that you had pre- warned him about the verizon reps cause I'm sure that if you didn't then he would of gotten the droid instead. show that verizon guy who's boss will ya
    I'm just blown away. I understand pushing a device... but to trash the pre plus like he did??? I wish I'd been there. That's why I'm going with him on Wednesday. His parents aren't leaving Verizon and they could care less what he gets. To tell you the truth, I heard the Droids a pretty good phone.... But why trash the pre plus??? I'm guessing commission has something to do with it.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I would go with the reps not wanting to deal with pre plus returns since the pre became infamous at sprint stores
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Verizon seems like a lost cause at this point. Verizon pushes the Droid. AT&T pushes the iphone. And Sprint soon pushes the EVO.

Palm has to seriously wow these reps with new hardware before they'll change their mind. If it's even possible..
    When I got my Pre Plus, the guy in the Vzn (Corporate) store activated it pretty quickly, but when I got home I realized it did not have the OS update. Since I knew about it, I was able to update it myself. I feel for any customer who got home only to discover their phone did not have video recording or any other goodies in the update. I wonder how many people returned theirs, or failed to purchase it, because it lacked these features... which it really does NOT lack at all if the Vzn dude would just run the update at activation.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    well I filled out an application to work for verizon n sprint. Hopefully they call me so I can get in there n show these reps how to use a pre!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Needless to say, I will be going to the Verizon store with my son and his friend on Wednesday with our Sprint pre's to see if he can match what my overclocked patched up 8GB Sprint pre can do against this Droid. He wanted to bring me with him anyway, but I intend on making a complaint (I'm sure it wont accomplish anything though). I would appreciate any advice that I can get from the pre plus users who are familiar with the Droid.

I will update you guys on probably wednesday (the day his pre comes in), to how he's treated. I'm sure all Verizon stores can't be this bad, can they???

Thanks
    File a complaint with Palm too! I noticed couple of other people complaining about how Verizon is treating potential Pre buyers on Palm's official forum and forum admins asked them to PM them with store's information. Gotta get those reps and possibly the store manager straightened up!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    This is just another reason why I research online and buy online.
    i went to check on the pre plus at verizion a few weeks ago. I talked to a manager and rep who had nothing but good things to say about the pre and didn't even mention the droid to me. some stores are doing better
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    File a complaint with Palm too! I noticed couple of other people complaining about how Verizon is treating potential Pre buyers on Palm's official forum and forum admins asked them to PM them with store's information. Gotta get those reps and possibly the store manager straightened up!
    Yep, Palm is reading this thread below right here on precentral so you may want to record the store information here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    I'm just blown away. I understand pushing a device... but to trash the pre plus like he did???
    Dont forget, the stores get a kickback for EVERY Android device they sell from Google.

They are going to push the phone that makes them the most money.
    Verizon could care less about the pre, remember these were the same guys who turned down the iphone.

So my 17 year old son's friend has a BB Storm and has hated it! For about 9 months he has admired my son's Sprint pre and has been wanting one. When the pre plus came to Verizon he was excited to get the pre plus. Now I have showed him all of what the pre can do through preware, homebrew, 800 MHz etc., so when his contract ended this week he headed on over to the Verizon store in Oviedo Florida. When he told the associate the phone that he wanted (remember this kids 17), the sales associate told him that the pre plus s-cks and isn't any good. The company is going out of business and that he should buy the "better phone" in the Droid!

Luckily I had told him that the sales associates would try to push him to the Droid so he stuck to his guns and said that he loved the pre and that's what he wanted. From what he just told me, the sales associate wen't on to tell him that the pre can't do this or that, it has no apps etc.. He then said again that the pre plus is the phone that he wanted. The sales associate then told him "don't say I didn't warn you" and then went to the back. Roughly 5 minutes later, the sales associate returns and tells him that they had no pre pluses in stock and that he would have to wait a few days! I have no reason to believe that he was lying, but it almost sounds to me that he was trying to get him to rush and just give up and take the Droid.

Thanks
    First of all, that was the sales person's opinion however ill-informed it was. So your response is to take in your overclocked/modified phone and then compare it to a stock Droid in an attempt to prove that your Pre is superior??

Why not just save yourself the hassle and buy from somewhere else...like you did?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Verizon is giving us FREE mobile Hotspot, something that everyone else pays $30 - $60 a MONTH for!

Sounds like Pre's best friend to me ...

As for the Verizon sales rep at my local store, he seemed very honest to me: He said he'd pre-ordered the HTC Incredible and explained why, but also pulled out his Palm Pre Plus he uses as a personal phone (he has Droids for business) and talked it up too. No problems, except he sold me a sh**ty "hard case" and car charger for $40 total that i could have gotten on line for half that - those will be returned, LOL.

Thanks
    I believe that sales rep was just being a hater..you know there is a lot on here too. DON'T even sweat that jack,droid as nothing that i would consider leaving the pre for.
    Although I have certainly been annoyed by the teenage reps that heckle you as you walk by the mall kiosks, I stopped in at a (standalone) VZW store to play with a pre and basically ask the rep to confirm everything I read about it. She was both polite and accurate with her info. And she never pushed another phone.

A few days later I got the pre from a different store and the guy there was enthusiastic and thorough in making sure I knew all the features (especially the free hot spot feature.) Again, no mention of andriod phones.

They are not all goons. Not all off them.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Make sure to show of the complete multitasking! Have 10 cards open and swap between them! Android only allows a RE-OPEN of the last 6 apps -and it's sluggish! Also, from the main screens, compare the ability to change the wifi settings -it's multiple clicks for them (even more if you're IN an app). Demonstrate the ease of notifications -the dragdown for Android is sluggish and kind of awkward- WebOS is just easy to see and open.

Also exploit the Launcher pages and the fact that they can be accessed anywhere by dragging up the 'wave'! They have to go out of an app to the main screen, the click on the app button to pull up all their apps. AND, lastly...show off the Universal Search!!! The Android Search is ONLY for web searches!!

Good luck! It ticks me off that they act like that! I've schooled some of the Reps in my Verizon store too! The Moto Droid does have a fast processor so be careful on the speed comparisons...you may just lose there...
    I had to hit radio shack for some thermal paste and the rep started pushing the Pre to me. I whipped out my overclocked, patched, modified .. pimped out Pre and showed him what the pre could actually do. He compared my phone with the floor model and was geeking out for about 20 minutes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the moto droid, iphone, and pre all have the same processor? They of course are all handled different...which is were the speed difference can come in. I've never used an overclocked pre but a stock droid is pretty snappy and now mines overclocked but android is an ugly UI even with custom roms and different themes. Out the box I wasn't that impressed with the pres speed but once its open you can pretty much just leave it there and that's were the pre shines...yeah I want a pre again everybody has a droid!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast