Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    From what he just told me, the sales associate wen't on to tell him that the pre can't do this or that, it has no apps etc.. He then said again that the pre plus is the phone that he wanted. The sales associate then told him "don't say I didn't warn you" and then went to the back.
    Just playing devils advocate here, but think of it from the perspective of a sales rep. His job isn't to be your friend, his job is to sell a phone and hopefully you never come back. So if there's a high return rate on the Pre then why wouldn't he try the hard sell towards a product that's less problematic? Not everyone has in-house tech support.

IMO, the Pre is becoming more of a "geek phone" because it requires a lot of patience and tech savvy to be a Pre owner nowadays. Homebrew, speed boost patches and excuses are high demands for regular users so if you need to modify a device in order to prove "superiority" then this isn't meant for the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Needless to say, I will be going to the Verizon store with my son and his friend on Wednesday with our Sprint pre's to see if he can match what my overclocked patched up 8GB Sprint pre can do against this Droid. He wanted to bring me with him anyway, but I intend on making a complaint (I'm sure it wont accomplish anything though).
    I was with you when your point was that the salesman should have respected that your kid knew what he wanted, but this is where you lost me.

You're going back with a modified Pre so you could tell some snot-nosed sales punk high-schooler that your phone is better than another phone?

Why? You're obviously deeply offended by the guy but just so you know, the moment you leave the store they'll all be laughing at you. Then laugh again during their 15min lunch break. And probably still laughing during the varsity game vs the West Oviedo Wildcats.

As a wise salesjerk once said... "don't say I didn't warn you".
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/25/2010 at 01:18 PM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Just playing devils advocate here, but think of it from the perspective of a sales rep. His job isn't to be your friend, his job is to sell a phone and hopefully you never come back. So if there's a high return rate on the Pre then why wouldn't he try the hard sell towards a product that's less problematic? Not everyone has in-house tech support.

IMO, the Pre is becoming more of a "geek phone" because it requires a lot of patience and tech savvy to be a Pre owner nowadays. Homebrew, speed boost patches and excuses are high demands for regular users so if you need to modify a device in order to prove "superiority" then this isn't meant for the masses.

I was with you when your point was that the salesman should have respected that your kid knew what he wanted, but this is where you lost me.

You're going back with a modified Pre so you could tell some snot-nosed sales punk high-schooler that your phone is better than another phone?

Why? You're obviously deeply offended by the guy but just so you know, the moment you leave the store they'll all be laughing at you. Then laugh again during their 15min lunch break. And probably still laughing during the varsity game vs the West Oviedo Wildcats.

As a wise salesjerk once said... "don't say I didn't warn you".
    The whole point of the thread was that a consumer (my sons friend)walked in to his local Verizon store and requested a pre plus. The salesman tried to push the Droid. I'm fine with that, they make more money with that device...FINE. But when your a 17 year old kid and you have to request roughly 3 times that you want a pre plus, then the salesman goes to the back for 5 minutes, then comes back and says he doesn't have any and he had to come back on wednesday??? You don't see a problem there?

Maybe I came off wrong, my point of going with him is purely supportive and to refute anything that he (the salesman) says the pre CAN"T DO. I don't plan on going in all cocky like my phone is the greatest thing in the world. I just plan to show what a pre CAN DO. Look, I completely understand any company, be it cars, phones computers etc. pushing what they need to push. I just get a feeling that they were trying to take advantage of my son's friend and HIS CHOICE of a phone. As far as them laughing? I could care less like they do, but I will surely make a complaint.

Thanks

PS Its the Oveido Lions
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12