Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    800HMz ipk or the CPUScaling? Is there any difference between the two. If so what is better? Or can you use both at the same time. Ive been trying to search for this but i havent found anything about it.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstachnik View Post
    800HMz ipk or the CPUScaling? Is there any difference between the two. If so what is better? Or can you use both at the same time.

They should BOTH be used, on allows your phone to go up to 800mhz (I use the 720mhz as there was not difference in speed, and the 800mhz was dangerously heating up my phone)

The other allows you to auto scale your phone when not in use, saving battery and keeping your phone very cool.
    Try the SuperPreKernel app and cpuscaler alongside it, it will make things much easier. Remember to read the thread on the SPK app to see what it does exactly.
    I guess I'm confused on this as well. I installed the 720MHz file via WebOSQI some time ago. Since then, several developers have released similar types of apps. What am I missing? Is one better than the other? I opted for the 720 because I didn't see a significant difference between it and the 800MHz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were to uninstall my current 720 and install the SPK w/ cpuscaler along side it, I would be able to run it at any speed (preferrably 720) and when it's idle the scaler will lower the speed to save battery life?

Pardon my newbie questions.
    We can not control the direction of the wind. However, we can adjust our sail.
    Yes if you have the SPK you can install any speed through there without connecting to a pc and then use the cpuscaler to scale the speed to save battery.

Quote Originally Posted by cdadams1223 View Post
    I guess I'm confused on this as well. I installed the 720MHz file via WebOSQI some time ago. Since then, several developers have released similar types of apps. What am I missing? Is one better than the other? I opted for the 720 because I didn't see a significant difference between it and the 800MHz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were to uninstall my current 720 and install the SPK w/ cpuscaler along side it, I would be able to run it at any speed (preferrably 720) and when it's idle the scaler will lower the speed to save battery life?

Pardon my newbie questions.
  6.    #6  
    okay is the cpuscaler on webos quick install? Or is it on a website? And I was also reading on unthrottled. Do you guys know if they fixed this yet. Thanks alot on the info
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Yes if you have the SPK you can install any speed through there without connecting to a pc and then use the cpuscaler to scale the speed to save battery.
    Thank you sir!
    We can not control the direction of the wind. However, we can adjust our sail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    They should BOTH be used, on allows your phone to go up to 800mhz (I use the 720mhz as there was not difference in speed, and the 800mhz was dangerously heating up my phone)

The other allows you to auto scale your phone when not in use, saving battery and keeping your phone very cool.
    FWIW, I've been running some tests on battery life with both CPU scaling turned on and off. And I've found the following:
    • Fixed 800MHz: 1.5% drain per hour
    • Scale from 500MHz to 800MHz: 2.0% drain per hour
    • Scale from 250MHz to 800MHz: 1.5% drain per hour

My test scenarios are here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tery-life.html

What I don't have the ability to track over my tests is average battery and cpu temp. That would be useful to know because even if scaling doesn't save battery life, it may save battery & cpu heat.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Use scaling in combo with 800 mhz (i set mine at 250 - 800). That way you get the 800 mhz when you need it, like playing videos, but otherwise you save battery power and don't run nearly the danger of overheating the battery.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the info. Do you guys recommend the CPUScaling? I just have the 800 IPK installed.. idk if ill see a huge difference if i use the Scaling.
    @dstachnik, did you manage to download cpuscaling yet? You can get it from preware by adding this custom feed [url= of /webos/apps[/url]

Alternatively look on this page for download http://m.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/cpuscaler
    I seemed to find (just my observations) that the Scaling app set at 500-800 tended to make the pre less snappy at times. Of course, that makes sense because the processor is only running at 500 at certain times (I guess when no load, but not sure how long it takes to ramp up to 800). In any case, I didn't notice that big of a difference in battery life, but I guess if you are trying to make your battery last a whole day with a lot of use, it could help.

I would say one of the best uses of the scaler is when you want to keep the temps down. Like if you want to be in the car, with the pre on a touchstone, and stream from the Internet, it could heat up a lot and you can easily drop the cpu from 800 to 500. Or, if you want to use the Mobile Hotspot, which heats things up, you could do the same thing.

So I have both, but don't really use the scaling because battery life is not really an issue and I prefer the 800 speed all the time.
    I mentioned in another thread, but it may be relevant here, that I had installed the 800Mhz overclocking a few weeks ago, and everything ran mostly fine, performance was great and battery life seemed to stay pretty solid. After about a week, I noticed several instances where I couldn't wake my Pre up when I pushed the power button or opened the slider, and it took 3-4 tries. Then I added the CPU scaling app, running 125Mhz-800Mhz and it seemd to do a good job, though I did have a few times where battery life seemed to get worse. THEN, over the past few days, my phone would shut itself off spontaneously (just simply be dead, no shut down or anything). Yesterday, while using a car charger and bluetooth, it started to overheat and I had to pop the battery back and use the car A/C to cool it down.

This evening, I removed the original 800Mhz OC, installed the superkernal, and reset of 125-800Mhz. Perhaps it will work better now?

What has me confused is...

1) why did mu7efcer get better battery life at 800Mhz flat out (no scaling)? Wasn't one of the main battery issues to start, that Palm locked the processor at 500Mhz, with no scaling, so even resting in your pocket, it's running at full speed? How could 800Mhz be better?

2) When I tell the scaler to turn scaling and speed off, set to stick on reboot, then reboot and then check stats, it says that I am running at 800Mhz, with a Max of 800 and a min of 125. The stats themselves show time shared between 500 and 800Mhz. So, with the 800Mhz kernel installed, is some kind of base CPU scaling inherent to that kernel, since it doesn't just lock at a flat 800Mhz?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    right now im running 250 to 720, i had 800 fixed which was fine. Is their enough prefromance enhancement to really warrant 800mhz?

Currently Running CPUscaller.

Which has a cooler battery and a long battery run time 250 to 720 or 250 to 800. And why? I question mu7efcer's findings tho. Why would fixed 800 provide better battery than 500 to 800. What about 500 fixed?
    CPU usage is a lot more complicated than just what frequency it's running at. Consider this: LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

In the case of the Pre, it may very well be that taking the device out of idle into 250MHz and then scaling up to 800MHz is more power hungry than taking it out of idle directly into 800MHz.

I don't know the answer to this riddle. But I would love other people to try to replicate or repudiate the results. Anyone can install Battery Monitor and repeat the experiment. I'd love for others to do so and share their findings.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/24/2010 at 11:27 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I apologize if I came across as doubting. Though I'm not totally non-technical, simply don't understand the how and why of it. i.e., if the major fault for battery consumption with the stock Pre is the processor locked at 500MHz, what makes a processor locked at 800Mhz better? Again, to set the tone, I really am just asking. There's probably an answer, I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    CPU usage is a lot more complicated than just what frequency it's running at. Consider this: LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

In the case of the Pre, it may very well be that taking the device out of idle into 250MHz and then scaling up to 800MHz is more power hungry than taking it out of idle directly into 800MHz.

I don't know the answer to this riddle. But I would love other people to try to replicate or repudiate the results. Anyone can install Battery Monitor and repeat the experiment. I'd love for others to do so and share their findings.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post

Hi everyone

I have been looking everywhere in the forum but can't find anywhere the instruction on how to install them, can anyone help me please by pointing me o the right direction ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cecemf View Post
    Hi everyone

I have been looking everywhere in the forum but can't find anywhere the instruction on how to install them, can anyone help me please by pointing me o the right direction ?
    In the Palm Pre Tips, Information and Resources forum on the main forum page. Two forums under the Palm Pre forum
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    right now im running 250 to 720, i had 800 fixed which was fine. Is their enough prefromance enhancement to really warrant 800mhz?
    I did not find any performance enhancement to warrant 800mhz, for me it drained, and heated up my battery more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast