Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This is great news as so many people have clamored for it - but, at risk of lacking vision, there are only two applications of it that I, personally, can see myself using: Shazam (yes yes please) and, possibly, maybe, every once in a while, Skype.

I understand a lot of you are hyped for voice control of the device... I just so am not. And as a matter of fact, I don't think Palm releasing an API for it will necessarily also mean that they include voice control. That being said, voice control is only good if you're in a car without bluetooth or bt headset, at which point you can use the phone's voice control to dial, but would then have to hold it against your ear anyway because, from experience, engine sound is going to overpower the speaker.

To me, voice control is mostly an important "me too!" gadget. "What, my phone can't do it? SOME OTHER PHONE CAN?? This phone sucks! Just on principle!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Selling on a website won't work. Palm needs major adoption and quick. It took less than 74 days for the Droid to sell over 1 million handsets. The Nexus one had only sold 30,000 as of 74 days. Web distribution is a great idea, but it doesn't work well for volume sales. People go into a cell phone store to buy a phone, they don't go online.

However, web sales of an unlocked phone in addition to sales in a retail store might work.
    OK, license the design and sell it to a carrier directly. The point is, get 5 devices on good hardware with lots of different options, especially if you don't have the means to do the manufacturing yourself. If licensing from the hardware folks helps speed up the process of getting devices to market, do that, even if you have to give up some control of your OS. Better that than throw in the towel and fold up shop.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So will Flash support come before this or after this? ;-)
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    flash is coming before the end of juune for the pre. And will ship with the pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    Do I hear Shazam on the horizon finally??
    OR Midomi..

I had contacted Midomi a while back, and the voice recorder was THEIR hold up on developing their app for Pre
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    flash is coming before the end of juune for the pre. And will ship with the pre2.
    Source? Just because Adobe says that is when it is coming out doesn't mean much. They did say flash would be ready for the Pre back in October of '09, and then before the end of '09, and then in early 2010.

When I see a specific release date, I will believe it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    Flash SUPPORT has been there since 1.3.5. FLASH itself may come at some point after we've dumped handsets for tooth implants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Source? Just because Adobe says that is when it is coming out doesn't mean much. They did say flash would be ready for the Pre back in October of '09, and then before the end of '09, and then in early 2010.

When I see a specific release date, I will believe it.
    Even if they had a specific date, I still wouldn't believe adobe.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    This is great news as so many people have clamored for it - but, at risk of lacking vision, there are only two applications of it that I, personally, can see myself using: Shazam (yes yes please) and, possibly, maybe, every once in a while, Skype.
    More than these two simple voice recording is a must have feature for students who want to record lectures, parents who want to record their two year olds..the list goes on.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123