Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    something needs to be done soon to get more people on board with palm.
    Well it is being launched in Germany and France.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I would want it on TMo too.
    Great, maybe in a update they can figure out how to activate the hidden compass inside the pre that no one knows about,..... Not lol but glad we are getting Mic access, just wish we would not have to wait so long
    Fall is too far off. A new API isn't going to save Palm at this point. It is a great idea, but they also said that PDK/SDK mixed apps won't be ready yet. With the addition of only camera and mic API's Palm is just now catching up to iPhone and Android in terms of app functionality.

As Josh said in engadget's pod cast, the Pre is officially old, as the hardware hasn't significantly changed since Jan '09. Palm needs new hardware to show WebOS off now. As it looks like many potential buyers are passing at Palm, they are going to need to pull off some crazy Hail Mary. Palm needs to copy the Dell Lightning and put WebOS on that and put it on TMO with full global bands. However, this still doesn't address the lack of mainstream dev support.

One last note is that Palm is finally getting around to making the APIs to catalog media on the device final. It has only been 9 months since Blubble started crafting NaNplayer and they said they would get right on that. It is a crying shame imo.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    As Josh said in engadget's pod cast, the Pre is officially old, as the hardware hasn't significantly changed since Jan '09. Palm needs new hardware to show WebOS off now. As it looks like many potential buyers are passing at Palm, they are going to need to pull off some crazy Hail Mary. Palm needs to copy the Dell Lightning and put WebOS on that and put it on TMO with full global bands. However, this still doesn't address the lack of mainstream dev support.
    Uh, yeah because the iPhone 2G, 3G, & 3GS were significantly changed between versions?? The upcoming 4G will be the FIRST significant change since it's creation 3 years ago. omfg.

Also, buyers are passing on Palm because they fubared the advertising and fired their marketing company waaay to late after their first flub. Case in point, just this week I was demoing Hero of Sparta to a BB Pearl user, a N1 user, and an iPhone guy (not a Mac fan, bandwagon jumper) and during the "demo" the Mrs. called me and I uh, answered the call, game paused, referenced a text message, finished call, and resumed HoS demo to a group of "Whoa! You had all that running at once??"

The N1 user was ****ed, the Sprint Pearl user is going to switch to Pre at his upcoming contract expiry and the iPhone user said "Maybe I should have looked around more."

All 3 impressed and one new convert. Pre FTW.
    Does anyone know if the recorder will have access to the hardware?

With the old PalmOS the recorder had access to the hardware -
    you could record phone calls without having to be on Speakerphone.

That's a huge feature I miss with WM.
    You just don't get the record quality with Speakerphone, and I don't like having to be on Speakerphone.
    Just call me Berd.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    it's just not about the features. It gives insight into the company. Looks to me is Palm is hard at work inspite of bankruptcy and buyout rumors. They are now catching up with other platforms. My guess is they can beat others this year in features while solidifying the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Uh, yeah because the iPhone 2G, 3G, & 3GS were significantly changed between versions?? The upcoming 4G will be the FIRST significant change since it's creation 3 years ago. omfg.
    The hardware change between the 2G and 3G was major; 3G - 3GS was a speed boost. The 4G iphone still remains to be seen how much of a change it will be outside of its appearance. However, the iPhone was built like a tank and so even a minor speed boost was welcome. Right now a stock Pre is laggy and has poor hardware. It needs an upgrade yesterday, especially when you look at the competition now that Android/HTC has really gotten its game together.

Also, buyers are passing on Palm because they fubared the advertising and fired their marketing company waaay to late after their first flub. Case in point, just this week I was demoing Hero of Sparta to a BB Pearl user, a N1 user, and an iPhone guy (not a Mac fan, bandwagon jumper) and during the "demo" the Mrs. called me and I uh, answered the call, game paused, referenced a text message, finished call, and resumed HoS demo to a group of "Whoa! You had all that running at once??"

The N1 user was ****ed, the Sprint Pearl user is going to switch to Pre at his upcoming contract expiry and the iPhone user said "Maybe I should have looked around more."

All 3 impressed and one new convert. Pre FTW.
    I was actually referring to buyers as companies that might buyout Palm. But yes, WebOS still has the best multitasking solution, but it isn't the only multitasking solution. By choosing WebOS for it's multitasking you have to give up a lot of other advantages that other OS's have. It is all a trade off. While your friends were like wow about the multitasking, they all have voice commands now, a ton more apps, more mainstream support, bigger screens, and better hardware. And the BB pearl doesn't count as a real smartphone

big pre fan here from day 1 waitin on line for her but palm still has it's work cut out for them if it wants to keep pre owners from jumping to the Evo this summer
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Fall is too far off. A new API isn't going to save Palm at this point. It is a great idea, but they also said that PDK/SDK mixed apps won't be ready yet. With the addition of only camera and mic API's Palm is just now catching up to iPhone and Android in terms of app functionality.

One last note is that Palm is finally getting around to making the APIs to catalog media on the device final. It has only been 9 months since Blubble started crafting NaNplayer and they said they would get right on that. It is a crying shame imo.
    Agree. I wish palm had made half as many phones, and had spent that cash on programmers instead. For as quickly as they've been getting updates out , their platform progress has been butter-churn slow
    as far as tech-world excitement goes.

I really hope that we are close to the point where Palm can stop pulling tricks out of the "This should have been a day-1 feature" bag and start seeing new ideas.

How about the Synergy bag, Palm? Please??
    Last edited by Stihl; 04/24/2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Agree. I wish palm had made half as many phones, and had spent that cash on programmers instead. For as quickly as they've been getting updates out , their platform progress has been butter-churn slow
    as far as tech-world excitement goes.

I really hope that we are close to the point where Palm can stop pulling tricks out of the "This should have been a day-1 feature" bag and start seeing new ideas.

How about the Synergy bag, Palm? Please??
    I still don't think that even matters. The main reason I am 95% sure I am going to be switching to an Evo is professional/corporate Apps. I use my phone to keep up with my schedule which is fairly chaotic these days and I use it as an aid in my job, as I am sure many people do. Out of the gate, the lack of industry support wasn't worrisome, but almost a year past and major developers are passing on making a home on WebOS is a death knell. As much as it pains me to say it, apps matter.

I have thought very long and hard about this, and even if Palm released and Evo clone with WebOS on it, I am not sure I would stay. As I posted above, all WebOS shines at right now is synergy and multitasking, but to obtain an incredible amount of elegance there you have to give up a lot of other perks, and I am just not sure it is worth it. I want Palm to succeed, I really do. They have so many great ideas, but they have been executed so poorly. I am getting tired of wishing and hoping that this or that will happen.

I know that people will say but it took Apple a year to really get going! And while that is true, Apple had luxuries that Palm doesn't. Apple has lots and lots of cash, they didn't bet the entire farm on the iPhone and most importantly is 3 years ago, the smart phone game was different. Things have changed and Palm has messed up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by vortmax View Post
    I'm guessing Skype will be possible now?
    Hopefully. cannot wait for it
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    does cam api mean star gaving app?

That's an interesting idea, copying the Dell Lightning. Maybe turn things around and instead of licensing WebOS to Dell or HTC, Palm licenses the Lightning or Evo or Incredible from the manufacturer and puts WebOS on it and sells it on a web site, like Google does with Nexus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    big pre fan here from day 1 waitin on line for her but palm still has it's work cut out for them if it wants to keep pre owners from jumping to the Evo this summer
    Yup. Here's the thing: Switching to Evo will be a little bit of a pain in the rear. We have all our info in the cloud, all our apps and tweaks and homebrews, and we are now very used to the dang Pre. Plus, not all of us have 4G yet. So, for many of us, we will stay with Palm if we know what is coming, and we know we don't have to wait too long.

But if nothing is announced by June, or if what is announced is underwhelming, what we are likely to see is a mass exodus.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    That's an interesting idea, copying the Dell Lightning. Maybe turn things around and instead of licensing WebOS to Dell or HTC, Palm licenses the Lightning or Evo or Incredible from the manufacturer and puts WebOS on it and sells it on a web site, like Google does with Nexus.
    Selling on a website won't work. Palm needs major adoption and quick. It took less than 74 days for the Droid to sell over 1 million handsets. The Nexus one had only sold 30,000 as of 74 days. Web distribution is a great idea, but it doesn't work well for volume sales. People go into a cell phone store to buy a phone, they don't go online.

However, web sales of an unlocked phone in addition to sales in a retail store might work.

Sweet! Now the perfect device, gets even perfecter!

Call me crazy , but I STILL PRE!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Do I hear Shazam on the horizon finally??
    Hopefully!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast