Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have read previous posts on this topic... is there anything new available.

The conclusion I have come to is that the speaker is small and cheap and that it is unlikely there is a hack to make the speaker louder without busting the speaker.

I just got my pre two weeks ago and I'm a heavy TV/media user on it- and the speaker is a real stinko compared to Blackberry.

What particularly stinks is that while the volume on the speaker when viewing foxnews is light, the volume when keying in a phone number will have everyone at Walmart staring at you (very loud).

Any thoughts for a new pre user?
    I think the speaker on the pre is quite nice compard to other phones o.o

It is just a phone my friend not a T.V with surround sound.

Try using your headphones i cant even turn the volume all the way up with headphones on youtube videos.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'm not a geek, but I've been a heavy user of these things for many years. I'll say the speaker is better than probably I-phone or any android device I've had. Blackberry's though, seem to really have the speaker thing down though.
    The speaker volume has been boosted since the early builds, it's already pretty loud. I think if you try to boost it anymore you might blow out the speaker more easily. If you have a problem with sound level it might be your files/source. Because my mp3s and ringers are pretty damn loud, can hear it from across my apartment.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I think the speaker volume is fine. The problem i have with it, particularly when playing MP3s through headphones, is the lack of fine gradation. I can never seem to find a setting that is exactly right, neither too loud nor too soft. I wish the control was continuous ...
  6. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Sitting in an office and casual use the speaker seems to be great. The problem I have is the speakerphone while driving. Seems having a way to get a little louder on the volume would be great for me. Can't imagine I'm the only one and I honestly don't believe it to be impossible considering some of the other things I have installed patches for on the Pre. It's really just a matter of time I hope.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Compared to my last phones, my pixi speaker is really weak.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I think that this may help with volume for the speaker phone. (does not change media playback volume using the back speaker)

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2086507
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    I think that this may help with volume for the speaker phone. (does not change media playback volume using the back speaker)

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2086507
    Need a way to modify the back speaker settings. The file is easily available, but I don't know what to change to increase the output.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    Need a way to modify the back speaker settings. The file is easily available, but I don't know what to change to increase the output.
    Here is the file for the speaker phone. You can use webos quick install to copy it over to your pre.... It goes in the /etc/audio/b folder. You should probably grab a copy of your existing file just in case things get messed up.

hope it helps! Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    oh- regarding what to change, you will see my comments towards the end of the file.
    Could someone please list step by step instructions? This is interesting!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    Here is the file for the speaker phone. You can use webos quick install to copy it over to your pre.... It goes in the /etc/audio/b folder. You should probably grab a copy of your existing file just in case things get messed up.

hope it helps! Good luck!
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Could someone please list step by step instructions? This is interesting!
    You need WebOSQuickInstall.
    1) Click on the link and save the file.
    2) Rename the file to media_back_speaker.txt
    3) Plug your phone in on USB and start WebOSQuickInstall.
    4) Select Tools|Send File
    A pop up "Send a File" box will appear.
    5) Select the file you want to send (The file you saved and renamed).
    6) Enter the Destination Folder ( /etc/audio/b/ )
    If everything entered properly then
    7) Click the "Send to Device" button.
    Last edited by japark; 04/24/2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    You can use the Tools|Receive a File selection to receive the file /etc/audio/b/media_back_speaker.txt and save it somewhere before you replace it if you want to.
    Can only 1 be installed at a time? I istalled the one for media and it works well! Cant get the speaker to work. Is there a way to get the media back to its default setting?
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Do you mean you installed the media_headset.txt file?

I suppose you can modify any of the settings, headset, back speaker, etc.

If you saved the original setting, you can re-install it to get back to the default.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    You need WebOSQuickInstall.
    1) Click on the link and save the file.
    2) Rename the file to media_back_speaker.txt
    3) Plug your phone in on USB and start WebOSQuickInstall.
    4) Select Tools|Send File
    A pop up "Send a File" box will appear.
    5) Select the file you want to send (The file you saved and renamed).
    6) Enter the Destination Folder ( /etc/audio/b/ )
    If everything entered properly then
    7) Click the "Send to Device" button.

I think you also need to reboot the phone when you're done.
    I like it but a little buggy. Sometimes the system sounds go really low. The fix is to make a phone call. I will live with that bug because talking in the car on speaker is so much better now! Thanks. Are there any bugs you have found with a fix?
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I like it but a little buggy. Sometimes the system sounds go really low. The fix is to make a phone call. I will live with that bug because talking in the car on speaker is so much better now! Thanks. Are there any bugs you have found with a fix?

Nope, I have not had any issues. (also, I think I mentioned it somewhere in one of these threads, but the change is only for the highest setting. The other volume levels are unchanged.)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast