1.    #1  
    Is there a forensics tool for the Palm Pre image?

I need to know if there is one for legal reasons? Do you need to be an expert to use it? Or can a fairly knowledgeable computer person use it?
    What do you mean by "forensics tool"?
    you can mount it just like a flash drive and use it in that manner with forensics tools.

now if it woudl be acceptable in court may be another matter.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I've seen it on CSI, does that count?

As Steph3n said, just mount it as a USB drive and then you can use your favorite forensics tool. Not sure you will get text messages and stuff without understanding how the databases work though...
    I'm sorry I have to post this...

Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    i'm sorry i have to post this...

pic fail
  7.    #7  
    I need to retrieve a text message from the phone. The courts will not allow the phone to be turned on because it can change the phone's contents. Is there a way to get this information? I know the OS is fairly new, but I would think someone would know how to retrieve text messages from the internal DB, right?
    Yes extract a COPY of the db file... then either use sql to get it out... OR take that database and place it on a brand new phone that hasn't been touched. Make sure you document EXACTLY how you did it. and ONLY with a copy of the DB file...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-phones.html
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You can certainly get text messages...Save/Restore would generate a nice little set of .html files for you to grab off of the usb mount. Or just grab the db's and work with those, somehow.

But what baffles me is that you're hoping to access the phone without it being powered on. Are you thinking that the text messages are available online through your profile? Or that the phone/usb can be accessed without booting it?
    Hire a local data forensics company that the court likes... (if it's that important) .. and just haggle with the price being that the solution should only take a hour or 2 if they are actually knowledgeable.

and point them to this thread.. They will be allowed to fire up the phone extract a COPY of the db.... and then using the db3 file a few very simple sql statements can extract everything. As they are a 3rd party that won't alter the phone in any way.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by shokpin View Post
    You can certainly get text messages...Save/Restore would generate a nice little set of .html files for you to grab off of the usb mount. Or just grab the db's and work with those, somehow.

But what baffles me is that you're hoping to access the phone without it being powered on. Are you thinking that the text messages are available online through your profile? Or that the phone/usb can be accessed without booting it?
    Not exactly. I realize the phone needs to be turned on, but what I can't have the phone totally boot up (USB mode is fine). In the courts eyes if the phone totally boots up I could somehow possible alter it during the boot up.
    i say call the county court house.. ask who they use for data forensics... call them up and say how much will 2 hours work be? They are allowed to turn the phone on.. as they will not alter anything.. worse case it's $50-$100 an hour.. and trust me.. should NOT take more then 2 hours. depends on how worth it it is to you. You should be able to find this info out with about 3 phone calls and less then 20 min. Heck the forensics people may know the tech laws better then the judge.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/2348205-post9.html
    "Take out the battery, plug in a USB cable, start holding the UP volume button, then insert the battery (continue holding). Let go of the up button once the USB icon appears on screen."

Possibly that? I'd test the method out on a different phone first, though.

But I agree with antonio. I dont understand why turning it on is bad..but accessing the USB is fine. You could do a lot more damage having access to that than the phone would do by itself during boot. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by shokpin View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/2348205-post9.html
    "Take out the battery, plug in a USB cable, start holding the UP volume button, then insert the battery (continue holding). Let go of the up button once the USB icon appears on screen."

Possibly that? I'd test the method out on a different phone first, though.

But I agree with antonio. I dont understand why turning it on is bad..but accessing the USB is fine. You could do a lot more damage having access to that than the phone would do by itself during boot. /shrug
    The courts don't know anything about technology... heck i uncovered a girl that was using facebook to rape other girls.. and being that she was in canada.. the local law enforcement didn't know what to do, just said it was a bunch of girls messing around.. even though there had been 3 unrelated girls to press charges against her in past i found 10 victims through her facebook account.... How dumb are some police forces i just don't understand. Either way if you are a ****** using the internet to facilitate it... your good to go in canada. f'ers. Heck the R C MP told me the internet is pretty much lawless LoL idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    The courts don't know anything about technology... heck i uncovered a girl that was using facebook to rape other girls.. and being that she was in canada.. the local law enforcement didn't know what to do, just said it was a bunch of girls messing around.. even though there had been 3 unrelated girls to press charges against her in past i found 10 victims through her facebook account.... How dumb are some police forces i just don't understand. Either way if you are a ****** using the internet to facilitate it... your good to go in canada. f'ers. Heck the R C MP told me the internet is pretty much lawless LoL idiots.
    Incorrect, every person is charge of those types of cases were they need forensics knows about cellbrite. OP might want to try going down to a local PD to see if they have one you can use. most cell phone places have them but for the type of data your looking to get you need the forensic version which is pricey
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Incorrect, every person is charge of those types of cases were they need forensics knows about cellbrite. OP might want to try going down to a local PD to see if they have one you can use. most cell phone places have them but for the type of data your looking to get you need the forensic version which is pricey

like i said in 2 previous post.. call whoever the court house uses for forensics...

But most law enforcement (street cops, they have enough trash to deal with)/judges don't really don't know alot about tech in general...
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    063_xobx: People who also need to quote posts including mile long pictures also fail...
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I'm sorry I have to post this...

ahahhahahahah that is too freaking funny man...I've been dying for 5 minutes now haha.