Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does this happen to you? It seems like every other call, unless I am cognizent of it, while talking on phone, my ear somehow turns Airplane Mode on and drops my call?

Is this odd? Is it just me? Pressing too hard on my ear? Thoughts?

Z
    That's so strange, first of all the proximity sensor should turn off the screen when up to your face, and it seems so strange that you can open the menu then hit the airplane mode item...

If the sensor isn't working right there is a series of tests you could try out, located in:
    Device Info > Menu (preferences > Tests
    Lol!

The accelerator should trigger the screen to go off anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    That's so strange, first of all the proximity sensor should turn off the screen when up to your face, and it seems so strange that you can open the menu then hit the airplane mode item...

If the sensor isn't working right there is a series of tests you could try out, located in:
    Device Info > Menu (preferences > Tests
    This!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by squidie View Post
    Lol!

The accelerator should trigger the screen to go off anyway.

LOL
    Use a bluetooth headset.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  7.    #7  
    Hmm.. did all the tests that I am aware of. None had anything to to do with the "top" getsure area where the Airplane Mode, Wi Fi menu etc, exists?
    Do you have a screen protector on the phone? They have been known to block the proximity senor, not allowing the screen to turn off when your ear is near the screen.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  9.    #9  
    no
    On the screen protector note: maybe one would help as you have to press a little hard to touch the screen, not a lot but maybe enough to resolve your issue.

My dad's Pre had a faulty proximity sensor, the screen would freak out when he went to the phone app.

Do you have any other problems with screen black-outs or flickering? May be a bad sensor not turning off screen at all.

My dad's was the other way around

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by zagfreak View Post
    Does this happen to you? It seems like every other call, unless I am cognizent of it, while talking on phone, my ear somehow turns Airplane Mode on and drops my call?

Is this odd? Is it just me? Pressing too hard on my ear? Thoughts?

Z
    first time i hear this story.. so is not a pre problem.. your ears r to bigggg~1 lmao
    I just tried to pull down the top menu using my ear (not while on the phone) and had no luck. So the proximity sensor doesn't work, your ear is able to open the menu AND select "turn on airplane mode". Does your ear never select to turn on bluetooth or wifi, only airplane mode?
  13.    #13  
    that IS funny.....
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I just tried to pull down the top menu using my ear (not while on the phone) and had no luck. So the proximity sensor doesn't work, your ear is able to open the menu AND select "turn on airplane mode". Does your ear never select to turn on bluetooth or wifi, only airplane mode?
    i just tried to use my ears and had no luck either... lmao
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I cant say it has anything to do with the airplane mode, but I have had the phone "hang up" just as I put to my ear. It is annoying. I think what happens is my cheek hits the button to hang up, before the sensor kills the screen.

Un related... also have trouble keeping the phone from answering when pulling it out of my seidio side case.
    Quote Originally Posted by zagfreak View Post
    Hmm.. did all the tests that I am aware of.
    So, does that mean you did the actual proximity sensor interactive test?

For anyone that doesn't know:

Open the Device Info app, then scroll down and press "More Info", then go into the menu on that screen and select "Interactive Tests...". Now, from the Interactive Tests screen, select "Screen", and press "Skip" to skip the Screen Colors test. Now, you're at the Proximity Sensor test.

Regards,
    Tom (fellow "ear dialer")
    BTW, my workaround is to press the power button prior to putting the phone to my ear. This turns off the screen without interfering with the call. Press again when taking the phone away from your ear.
    Sounds like your proximity sensor is faulty???
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunooh View Post
    Un related... also have trouble keeping the phone from answering when pulling it out of my seidio side case.
    Is the case dragging on the screen, mimicking the "drag up to unlock" motion?
    If so, you could try putting your phone in the case "mouth piece" first.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Is the case dragging on the screen, mimicking the "drag up to unlock" motion?
    If so, you could try putting your phone in the case "mouth piece" first.

Regards,
    Tom

I'm certain that it is, but when the phone ring's, it dosent matter how you put it in the case the last time you used it (facing in or out) the call will be waiting for you to say "Hello" when you pull it out, unless you CAREFULLY ease it out. Dodgeing a call is a Conscious effort.
    @shaunooh, just curious any chance you are using the slide open to answer patch? Since the screen itself only responds to certain types of contact.....

@the op, this is a weird issue, I have a screen protector and the sprint case on my phone, my screen turns off before I can touch it to hang up a call sometimes if I don't pay attention to where my hand is (or is coming from). I would try and replace the phone if you can, sounds like some other type of problem.

Also just to check, you are certain it is going to Airplane mode? (I know stupid question but just checking). If it is showing Airplane mode, I am guessing it is some other defect in the phone other than the prox sensor. If it isn't showing airplane mode everytime you drop a call, my only other thought would be some kind of combined radio problem. If you are comfortable patching and want to test for sure, use one of the patches that removes airplane mode from the top bar....... then again if you haven't already patched I would say return it for a fresh device and see if that changes things.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast