Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Long story short:

I lost my Pre. Filed for insurance. Paid $100 deductible. Got new Pre in the mail...5 days later, my friend found my lost Pre.

What are my options to recoup my losses? Can I switch back by signing into my Palm profile again? I also need to recover many of my files, etc. How can I do that? Will it wipe out everything if I turn it on? Will the phone not work anymore because it was reported "stolen" so I can't sell it?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Call Sprint and tell them what happened. See what your options are and work with the Sprint rep from there.

[edit] As many have pointed out, calling the insurance company who processed the replacement may be a better option.
    Last edited by Honis; 04/23/2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: [edit] Changed opinion
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    lol beware of all the moral freaks out there. i had the same thing happen a while back, and I was trying to sell the BAD ESN Pre on the forums and got a bunch of negative responses.

so..they all said, return the new Pre and tell them to remove your bad esn Pre. And what files do you need to recoup? Aren't majority of the information saved on the Profile?

I'd say sell the bad esn Pre and you can recover about 80-120$ for it. You get a new Pre and maybe a little cash.
  4. J0E
    I'm pretty sure if you sold it that would be insurance fraud.
    Depends, just think what would YOU do? Go through all that hassle just to make yourself feel better? I wonder how much trouble it would be though..let us know what you decide to do OP.
  6.    #6  
    I just want to recover many of my photos, videos, and app information in there(Debt Collector for instance doesnt transfer my info into my new pre)
    I think mailing your new pre back and explaining the mistake to your insurance company is best.
  8.    #8  
    But what happens with my bad ESN Pre? Can I get it reactivated? My primary concern is to simply reactivate and use my old phone again.
    Speak to your insurance company and they will have the best advice for you hopfully. Say that you want to reactivate your device if possible.
    I would call sprint and tell them you found it and see where to go from there. You probably want find much help just people OP.
    You can definitely mail it back and get the $100 refund. But the question is whether or not you will have to pay for return shipping, will you be without a phone until they receive the new Pre back before they lift the restriction on your old Pre.
    You can't reactivate the phone because your ESN is logged as lost/stolen and your phone company will not let your transfer the phone in their data banks. You have to call them (the insurance), explain, and mail back the Pre they sent you. If you sell the old one to someone else (who also won't be able to activate it), they'll be extremely angry and if you do it over eBay, you'll definitely be in trouble.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I think it is insurance property now. Granted it's worth a couple hundred bucks so they may not care much in the grand scheme of things, but you should call the insurance company that settled your claim and not the Sprint store.
    I'm assuming this was Asurion. If so, then they sent you an envelope for returning your Pre, with explicit instructions to do so should you find it. I believe they want you to return the old one.

You will not be able to sign the old Pre in to your Palm Profile, because you won't be able to activate it on the network. However, you should be able to plug it in via USB and recover your files.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15.    #15  
    Wynard, I would be thankful if you can point me into the general direction where I can do that. I already tried but it wont lemme pass the Palm Profile sign in screen and plugging it into my computer only seems to charge it.
    Can't you just transfer files, photos and the like from the old Pre to your laptop/desktop computer, then to your new Pre using the usb/charger cord?? Then use it as a paperwieght or Mirror without having to pay for the app!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    Wynard, I would be thankful if you can point me into the general direction where I can do that. I already tried but it wont lemme pass the Palm Profile sign in screen and plugging it into my computer only seems to charge it.
    Hmmm. I suppose I could be wrong here--I'd thought that if you plugged it into a PC then it would show up as a USB drive. If that's not the case, then you might have to try using the webOS metadoctor.

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

I've never done this, but the instructions are there to try.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I know what I would do... The right thing... But that's me
  19.    #19  
    Usually, it would ask if I wanna just charge or use it as a USB drive, but I can't get past the "sign into your pal profile" screen. I tried creating a new one but it says I don't have any network(prolly because Sprint already blacklisted the ESN).
    theres the shortcut method of holding the up volume button (while the phone is off) until the usb w/ a ? mark comes up? someone else may know more about this...but i believe that will let you just access the USB drive.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast