webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > android on palm pre
android on palm pre
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04/23/2010, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 37
how can I install android on palm pre?
smovemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Jason Black's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,224
You cant.
Jason Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
rocknrollbandit's Avatar
 
Posts: 374
a simple search would suffice

as of now you cannot
__________________
This signature for rent
rocknrollbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Milenkod's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,471
why would you want to? webOS > Android
Milenkod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
djs
Member
 
Posts: 25
I would want to. The WebOS is probably better but I like to try things out so if I dish out an opinion like webOS > Android, it's because I tried it!
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 184
Actually it is possible. Check my posts in this thread:
http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...93#post2400893

You just need someone to be able to do it. We did it on Windows Mobile by using Haret, which was a Linux VM that would boot up the image for you.
jdiperla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
why would you want to? webOS > Android
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
I would want to. The WebOS is probably better but I like to try things out so if I dish out an opinion like webOS > Android, it's because I tried it!
If you want to try android out, go get a phone that was designed for android... like the nexus one, or wait for the HTC supersonic.
matt3925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 90
Just go to Android forums and search for WebOS. The majority of people who tried webos but have an android device for one reason or other will tell you that webos is a better OS stuck on inferior hardware and plagued with poor developer support. Many will also admit that if it came out on VZW before the Droid and with the brilliant ad campaign the droid got it would be the Pre that would be the media darling right now.

Having said that, it's largely the hardware including the unusual vertical slider form factor that are working against the pre so while it would have had a much greater success, it wouldn't be as large simply due to the fact that the Droid and Droid Eris are much more compelling form factor-wise to an average Joe. Give us the Palm pre in Eris body with virtual keyboard and see the sales go off.
dandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
chiliu78's Avatar
 
Posts: 315
Next question: Can I install DOS 4.0 into my Palm Pre?
chiliu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
063_xobx's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,467
No
063_xobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
Next question: Can I install DOS 4.0 into my Palm Pre?
yes
matt3925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 406
Next Question: Can I add pickled fish to my ice cream? No? How about Ketchup on my Caviar?
Rudementry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
fizymike's Avatar
 
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandar View Post
Just go to Android forums and search for WebOS. The majority of people who tried webos but have an android device for one reason or other will tell you that webos is a better OS stuck on inferior hardware and plagued with poor developer support. Many will also admit that if it came out on VZW before the Droid and with the brilliant ad campaign the droid got it would be the Pre that would be the media darling right now.

Having said that, it's largely the hardware including the unusual vertical slider form factor that are working against the pre so while it would have had a much greater success, it wouldn't be as large simply due to the fact that the Droid and Droid Eris are much more compelling form factor-wise to an average Joe. Give us the Palm pre in Eris body with virtual keyboard and see the sales go off.
b/c everyone LOVES a virtualKeyBoard b/c apple says buttons are bad

if we could make a device that's as thin as the Pixi WITH a landscape slider that ALSO is easy to type on one handed then everyone that has a virtual keyboard phone would switch.

you can get the virtkeyboard on your pre(but no one uses JUST the virtual) IMO it is only SLIGHTLY more laggy than most other virtual keyboards

but back on topic. I would love to dual boot android on my pre just to do it, and b/c I would like checkout android without giving up WebOS
fizymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: boyblueeye
Old 04/23/2010, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
djs
Member
 
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
+1



If you want to try android out, go get a phone that was designed for android... like the nexus one, or wait for the HTC supersonic.
While that certainly would be more ideal I won't pay 600$ to try an OS. If there is a way to put it on the pre I'd be interested in trying. My simple point is that saying that webOS is better isn't really the answer the OP was looking for and also that the question isn't dumb or out of place.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: hoo.haaa
Old 04/23/2010, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 352
1. Put Pre in pocket.

2. Walk into store

3. Try Android phone

4. ???????

5. Profit!
pullbangdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 03:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
ka1
Member
 
ka1's Avatar
 
Posts: 735
I think the reverse is much more likely - getting WebOS to run on Android hardware. Both are running on top of variants of Linux/Unix (same with MacOS, right?), so the real task is to replace the middle layer that Google or the Android manufacturers have on top of the kernal, and make it match what WebOs expects.

This is what was exciting about the HTC rumor - they could potentially tweak this middle layer, and get WebOS up and running. They would then probably have to add in a bit to get the new hardware features functional, but the work would be similar to what they did to get it up on android.

That said, I used many variants of Unix in the 90's, and lots of hardware, and it was never easy or simple.
__________________
KA1
Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 297
Who do we need to peer pressure into making Android work on the Palm Pre?!
Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
rdethree's Avatar
 
Posts: 104
iPhone 3G gets an Android port to call its own (video) -- Engadget

is android dual-boot imminent for webOS??
rdethree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 08:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
063_xobx's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,467
Far from it
063_xobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 08:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
rdethree's Avatar
 
Posts: 104
Interesting? Explain.
rdethree is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sothrowd08
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0