Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by djs View Post
    While that certainly would be more ideal I won't pay 600$ to try an OS. If there is a way to put it on the pre I'd be interested in trying. My simple point is that saying that webOS is better isn't really the answer the OP was looking for and also that the question isn't dumb or out of place.
    The problem is you still wouldn't have a good comparison. The Android OS is heavily modified for the device it's running on. There isn't a distro that's optimized for the Pre, and likely won't be.

The only way to get a true comparison is to get an Android device, and compare away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem is you still wouldn't have a good comparison. The Android OS is heavily modified for the device it's running on. There isn't a distro that's optimized for the Pre, and likely won't be.

The only way to get a true comparison is to get an Android device, and compare away.
    And even so, it's a different experience on each Android device, this is why I don't care for Android. Saying Android is awesome is a very questionable statement because some Android phones are terrible while others have the latest version and the device kicks ***, like the EVO.

I like an OS that's streamlined and always on the same page as the other users of it, like WebOS.
    Ok, so I'd love to see android 2.1/2.2 on the pre, I know but I'm guessing this is a no go from this end, If anyone is interested, I found this in the cyanogenmod...its an experimental Palm Pre ROM...interesting interesting

CyanogenMod | Experimental ROM | CyanogenMod
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    Ok, so I'd love to see android 2.1/2.2 on the pre, I know but I'm guessing this is a no go from this end, If anyone is interested, I found this in the cyanogenmod...its an experimental Palm Pre ROM...interesting interesting

CyanogenMod | Experimental ROM | CyanogenMod
    Is the rom for the pre or an android rom like the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    Or pretend your a Bill Gates and wait for a Steve Jobs to throw out the code and you can pick it up and call it yours. ;-)
    Or have your company fail horribly and only survive because Bill Gates gave you 100 million. True fact, happened back in the late 90's.

And WebOS isn't > Android, all the time, sometimes Android > WebOS (take a look at Google Maps, or the fact that Flash is already available on Android).

I wish people could refrain from making horribly broad strokes about large complex piece of software/hardware. It is almost like technology racism.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    why would you want to? webOS > Android

I've had a couple Android phones. Now i have Zero Android phones. /Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by blk02ls1 View Post

I've had a couple Android phones. Now i have Zero Android phones. /Thread
    Sigh, I guess my post made no impression.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Sigh, I guess my post made no impression.
    Please correct me if im wrong, but as far as i know flash is only going to be available on 2.2 correct? The first phone that is going to support it is the EVO correct? That phone is not available till the 4th correct? I've seen videos of flash running on the Palm Pre just as i have the EVO. Seems to me that they are both running it but neither as of now are available to the public. So i honestly dont understand why you would bring up flash in your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by blk02ls1 View Post
    Please correct me if im wrong, but as far as i know flash is only going to be available on 2.2 correct? The first phone that is going to support it is the EVO correct? That phone is not available till the 4th correct? I've seen videos of flash running on the Palm Pre just as i have the EVO. Seems to me that they are both running it but neither as of now are available to the public. So i honestly dont understand why you would bring up flash in your post.
    FroYo (Android 2.2) is the only version of android that is going to support flash 10.1. The Evo will run Android 2.1, and will likely get updated to 2.2 with Sense UI a few months after release. Some Nexus One's are already having 2.2 roll out to them. So currently Android does and can use flash 10.1. All of the current releases of Sense 2.1 (on the Deisre in the UK, Hero and Eris in US) have flash lite 4. Flash lite is fully capable of running embedded flash videos, but it isn't perfectly smooth. However, at the end of the day, multiple Android devices can do in browser flash, while no WebOS devices can do it currently.

Flash 10.1 on Froyo goes tete-a-tete with Flash Lite 4 on Eclair: butter vs. stutter (video) -- Engadget

Currently, in the arena of Flash, Android > WebOS. And there is no debate about it. This can change depending on what happens in the next few months, but right now it is a fact.
    Last edited by Complex Pants; 05/23/2010 at 02:02 PM.

if i wanted android i would of bought an android phone . makes sense right ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Totally! Each of them has their place in the market. I will likely never own an iPhone, not because it is a bad product (and saying it a bad product would be dumb) but because I don't like Apple's current business practices and I choose to vote my $$.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    FroYo (Android 2.2) is the only version of android that is going to support flash 10.1. The Evo will run Android 2.1, and will likely get updated to 2.2 with Sense UI a few months after release. Some Nexus One's are already having 2.2 roll out to them. So currently Android does and can use flash 10.1. All of the current releases of Sense 2.1 (on the Deisre in the UK, Hero and Eris in US) have flash lite 4. Flash lite is fully capable of running embedded flash videos, but it isn't perfectly smooth. However, at the end of the day, multiple Android devices can do in browser flash, while no WebOS devices can do it currently.

Flash 10.1 on Froyo goes tete-a-tete with Flash Lite 4 on Eclair: butter vs. stutter (video) -- Engadget

Currently, in the arena of Flash, Android > WebOS. And there is no debate about it. This can change depending on what happens in the next few months, but right now it is a fact.
    Well i stand corrected =P

WebOS>Android w/ flash

Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Why? WebOS is the ONLY good thing about a Pre.
    Putting WebOS on your Android phone...now that makes sense, lol.
    Ditto, I have said it a few times that I like the Droid hardware, and if I could pay someone to put WebOS on it and have the gesture area work as well, and still be on Sprint, I would jump on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Yeh, but i aint rollin in cash, and to be honest, i hedged my bets and wend for the palm pre, here in the UK, now I'm just interested to compare the two OS's on one device to see what my next phone will be!

I mean no one can openly and honestly say that right NOW like for like, android doesn;t feel tighter than webOS :-o

I love my pre, and palm, but I am also realistic

So yeh, I don't think its out of this world and completely doo-lally to ask for android on the pre as abit of a test and feel before I go layin down hard cash (like my palm pre's 45 [$65] monthly installments) for another phone!!!

P.S I have just bought an android tablet to see how it fairs, as I can see webOS being the perfect OS for a smartphone, but I think the plethora of document and office support on Android make it a no brainer for current solutions
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Is the rom for the pre or an android rom like the pre?
    P.S not a clue,l but based on the date modified, and the fact that around the same time engadget were harpin on about a pre android port, I'm gona go with the fact that its the former
    but ok it's experimental but... where it's the hariet?
    This is turning out to be a great post! To be honest it wouldn't be difficult to make this work since 3 of the 4 major platforms are related to Unix/Linux. Just look at the guy who has Android 1.6 dual booting with the iPhone OS on and iPhone. Sure drivers may be an issue but it's not impossible. Also Android with the Sense UI on a Pre would be kinda awesome to see!
    I do not think that it would be dumb to try to put android on the pre. apps mean everything. The pre only has a few apps; and the android has a hundred thousand or more.
    How about ios on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by quintonropp View Post
    I do not think that it would be dumb to try to put android on the pre. apps mean everything. The pre only has a few apps; and the android has a hundred thousand or more.
    How about ios on the pre.
    Welcome to the forums, quintonropp. Join the discussion in

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...droid-pre.html

Try not to resurrect year-old forum posts since they confuse the heck out of us with year-old information! It's best to stick to the lively ones that come up in the same search.
    Last edited by determinedd; 04/28/2011 at 04:27 PM.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123