Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No, we are actually not far from it. Honestly, we can actually do it just as the way the got OpenOffice to work on the Pre. You could probably even SSH into an Android using Xming and start running android apps on the pre.

I am basing this on the fact that to get the linux side running its own software on the pre, we had to use a debian image file and basically mount it and log into it. The same concept, in theory, should be possible with the Android OS by simply using the zimage file that it uses, which is similar to the Pre's Uimage file.

I think the real problem would be hardware, and having drivers set up on the Android side to work with the pre. Then again, since both units are linux based, the android image might just pick up support from the Pre's driver. This is just speculation of course.
    Thank you for your quick, detailed response.
    No problem.
    Maybe SMOVEMC is onto something worth considering, just not what was originally intended by the post. There's an app that acts as an emulator allowing original PalmOS apps to port to the Pre. But, if WebOS and Android are basically LINUX at their core, why not create an emulator or some other solution to allow Android apps to run under WebOS, basically opening up the entire Android app store to WebOS users?

Perhaps an emulator wouldn't be needed? Just some kind of custom enhancement to the WebOS Kernel?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Why? WebOS is the ONLY good thing about a Pre.
    Putting WebOS on your Android phone...now that makes sense, lol.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Who do we need to peer pressure into making Android work on the Palm Pre?!
    Are you lazy? Clap your hands & make other people jump?

Learn to write code & do it yourself if you want it that badly..
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Are you lazy? Clap your hands & make other people jump?

Learn to write code & do it yourself if you want it that badly..
    Or pretend you're a Steve Jobs and go find yourself a Steve Wozniak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Or pretend you're a Steve Jobs and go find yourself a Steve Wozniak.
    Or pretend your a Bill Gates and wait for a Steve Jobs to throw out the code and you can pick it up and call it yours. ;-)
    webos > whatever.other.os.you.can.put.here
    Still say running Android apps on WebOS is a better use of time. But, I can't write code, so I can only "clap my hands and make other people jump" ; ). Or you could look at it as a suggestion or request. Even better, I would be one of MANY who would pay for such a thing.

The barcode apps ( that let you do price checking of any product locally and on the web) alone are worth the price of admission.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    i really wanna dual boot android and webos, i love webos but i like android for the stuff it can do ie apps. And it would be fun to switch back and forth. im surprised with all the amazing stuff the webos internals do they haven't made any progress in this department. those guys are amazing....
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
    Yes. You Could...

Except for the guy that seems to have done that took his website down. There's no Google cache backup, nor anything at Archive.org....

It's palmwebosblog.com and from what i heard, his name is Evgeny..

I hope someone can figure out what happened....

Danni
    Why in God's name would you want Android if you're already spoiled with 3D games and unmatched multitasking and notifications on WebOS? Seems kinda stupid to me.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Neo, wake up.

Morpheus?
    Webos may be a better OS. But Android has many more apps. The apps also run a LOT smoother and are a lot nicer looking than the WebOS ones. I've also never seen my girlfriend's HTC Hero ever operate as laggy as my Pre and hers hasn't been plagued with the many crashes and resets that my Pre has had.
    I have a little more hope now that HP bought Palm, but I'd still like the option of running Android on my Pre so that if Palm goes out of business and fails to release their WebOS source code for the community to support, we have an option for continued updates to our phones. Yes, I like WebOS better, in every way except app availability. The Pre does strange things sometimes but it doesn't keep respawning dead tasks and kill the battery in half an hour like my girl's Moment does. The Pre pulls all my Facebook friends' contact info right onto my phone. The Pre has a slick multitouch, multitasking interface.

But it's proprietary and until a couple weeks ago, was owned by a company who looked like it might not survive the year.

The other eventuality I want to prepare for is the update that someday disables upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart because a change in management changes their attitude about homebrew development, or they make a deal with some DRM-infested video store (or Hulu). At that point I'd certainly want to wipe WebOS and install Android.

Edit: wrote "for" when I meant "on".
    I would also be on board for dual booting android on the Pre. When I need useful apps just switch over to android, when I need a nice interface come back to webos.

Best case would be having android apps working on webos, definitely the perfect combo to have the android community available to webos users.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cachorropedorro View Post
    I've also never seen my girlfriend's HTC Hero ever operate as laggy as my Pre and hers hasn't been plagued with the many crashes and resets that my Pre has had.
    Mine is stock and crashed twice in 7 months. So please list if yours is tweaked or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by cachorropedorro View Post
    Webos may be a better OS. But Android has many more apps. The apps also run a LOT smoother and are a lot nicer looking than the WebOS ones. I've also never seen my girlfriend's HTC Hero ever operate as laggy as my Pre and hers hasn't been plagued with the many crashes and resets that my Pre has had.
    The number of apps has little say if it's better or not. Nintendo DS has WAY more games than Xbox 360, does it mean it's the better gaming system?

And I'll argue forever that the Android apps run smoother too. If I'm overclocked to even just 600MHz, I bet I have less hiccups than you.

Enjoy fragmentation and your astrology apps.
    i like your style, but webos is great, why would you want to change? if its anything other than to mess/hack about (which would be a very valuable activity for the community) then you youll be letting yourself in for a pretty rough time.

Still it should be done for the lolz.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast