Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i've never owned any smart-phone before yesterday, when i bought the palm pre plus (verizon service). So please help a baby-noob with two questions:

1) does the PPP/verizon have a GPS other than the 'verizon navigator' that they apparently want to charge me $9.99 a month for? Is a GPS that doesn't have a monthly fee available as an app anywhere?

2) when i started the PPP, it downloaded OS version 1.4, but i see folks talking around here about versions 1.4.1 and the like. How can i check to see exactly which OS i am running?

Thanks fellas!
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenj View Post
    i've never owned any smart-phone before yesterday, when i bought the palm pre plus (verizon service). So please help a baby-noob with two questions:

1) does the PPP/verizon have a GPS other than the 'verizon navigator' that they apparently want to charge me $9.99 a month for? Is a GPS that doesn't have a monthly fee available as an app anywhere?

2) when i started the PPP, it downloaded OS version 1.4, but i see folks talking around here about versions 1.4.1 and the like. How can i check to see exactly which OS i am running?

Thanks fellas!
    You should have Google maps on your phone. But I'm a Sprint owner, so I'll leave any further discussions of GPS to a VZW owner.

To check your OS version, go to device info (should be on last page of icons if you have not rearranged them or added pages). Version is the fifth item down. When I checked the boards last night, Verizon had not yet updated beyond version 1.4.

And welcome to PreCentral.
    If you do some searches for GPS and Verizon, you will find out that GPS has a problem on the Verizon Pre's. Basically, Google Maps doesn't "wake-up" the gps in the pre and you have to either start up VZWNav or another program like Trapster. Then, you can get your location in Google Maps. Also, you can go to the menu in Location Services and see two ways to get your location. One is GPS (the chip) and the other is Google. Google services will triangulate your location from cell towers and gps will of course, ideally get your exact location from satellites, but with the above issues.

We are all hoping that the 1.4.1 update for Verizon fixes these issues. Enjoy your Pre and welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Basically, Google Maps doesn't "wake-up" the gps in the pre and you have to either start up VZWNav or another program like Trapster. Then, you can get your location in Google Maps. ...
    We are all hoping that the 1.4.1 update for Verizon fixes these issues. Enjoy your Pre and welcome.
    Another program that seems to fix locations for Google Maps is Smartrunner.

Since a number of programs work fine with the Verizon GPS, maybe the issue is with Google and not Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    Since a number of programs work fine with the Verizon GPS, maybe the issue is with Google and not Verizon?
    Certainly a good possibility because Google is direct competition to VZNav.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone answered a part of your question...Verizon Navigator is an application that basically uses the GPS features of your smart phone to function as a GPS naviagation system. We say "GPS" when we mean "one of those Garmin or TomTom or Magellean little boxes that sit on your dash and say 'turn right in 500 feet...' and guide us to our destination with turn by turns directions."

GPS is so much easier to say! But, we know what you mean. So, back to your question...I think...apparantly there is no other application that will operate like Verizon Navigator on your Pre+. Apparantly the only way to get that 'GPS' function with spoken turn by turn directions on the Palm Pre+ on the Verizon network is to use Verizon Navigator. Sprint has their own Sprint Navigation application. It works very well from what I read on these forums, and Sprint doesn't charge for this service.

I wish there was one...I too have a Palm Pre+ on Verizon, and I want this functionality.

By the way, somehow, Google was able to introduce it's DROID on the Verizon Network with Google Navigation (which is pretty awesome I must say)...what's up with that? Why can't the Pre+ use a navigation app for free too?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    By the way, somehow, Google was able to introduce it's DROID on the Verizon Network with Google Navigation (which is pretty awesome I must say)...what's up with that? Why can't the Pre+ use a navigation app for free too?
    Yes, my wife has a droid/verizon and it has the google navigation. We've used it and it IS very nifty .. that's what i was asking about for the Pre - but without the monthly charge that verizon wants!
    Yes, my wife has a droid/verizon and it has the google navigation. We've used it and it IS very nifty .. that's what i was asking about for the Pre - but without the monthly charge that verizon wants!
    webOS on the Pre+ with Google Nav...that would be so sweet! I think the voice recognition system where you can speak your destination is so cool. Now, it isn't foolproof. I can't get it to recognize my street name. It starts with 'west' but Google renders it as a stand alone word like "west 42nd Street". I try to say it fast so Google will think it is one word...but it still parses out 'west' by itself. Maybe it's my southern twang, I mean, I DO live in Tennessee!

I wonder if a lot of people pointed out this disparity...is that the right word...that Android has their own Free Nav app, why can't we?...would they reduce or remove the $9.99 fee?

Pipe dreams, right?
    They may decide to block Google's free app. That is the Verizon I am used to.
    personally, I refuse to pay $10/month for gps on the tiny phone screen. That's $120/year or $240 for the contract life. I bought a really great Nuvi with lifetime traffic service for less than $200. It syncs with my Pre+, and let's me use my phone while still having a big GPS display still on my dashboard...

...just sayin'
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Apparantly the only way to get that 'GPS' function with spoken turn by turn directions on the Palm Pre+ on the Verizon network is to use Verizon Navigator.
    The folks in Europe don't have *any* navigation options on their WebOS phones. They have been working on porting Navit to the Pre:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...navit-pre.html

Plotting a route isn't exactly simple in most parts of the world, because the free map data that they use apparently does not have house numbers in it. If you define a start and endpoint by tapping spots on the map, it will navigate and give voice prompts (in metric) for every turn.

Personally, I'd join my campaign to pester Verizon to match Sprint's deal of including Sprint Navigator as a no-charge benefit with unlimited data plans. I also suggested that they have a daily use fee (like on dumbphones), so that those of us who would only use it on rare occasions can pay only when we need it (like in an emergency).....