Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    << THIS POST IS OUTDATED. The information given here is still correct, however I haven't had time to update it with the latest kernels and technologies. Please ask if you're not sure what to do and hopefully someone can help you.>>

The following steps should be taken to avoid complications with an OTA firmware update. If you don't use one of the listed apps or modifications then just skip it:

1) WebOS Internals Uber Kernel
    If you run WebOS Internal's Uber Kernel then you do not need to take action. This custom kernel is OTA update safe. However, in the unlikely event that you have 'mixed and matched' this kernel with a non-AUPT overclocking mod (like the old 800mhz .sh or IPK packages) then you must reverse those mods before updating (see below for instructions).

2) Super PreKernel
    If you run this application on your device, you need to take action. Open the app and it will automatically determine your current configuration. If there is a custom kernel or processor-modifying patch running on your system, it will inform you and an Uninstall button should be available. Click it. (This can take 3-5 minutes to complete). You do not need to uninstall the actual app from your device.

3) 720mhz and 800mhz IPK packages
    If you installed the more recent 720mhz or 800mhz kernel using the IPK method (using WebOS Quick Install) then you need to take action. Open WebOS Quick Install and click Tools -> Device Management. Now scroll down the list until you see an entry named "800mhz Custom Kernel" or "720mhz Custom Kernel". Select the checkbox next to it and click Uninstall. Your device will reboot.

4) 720mhz and 800mhz .sh scripts
    If you have overclocked your device using the old .sh scripts then you need to take action. Open WebOS Quick Install and click Tools -> Linux Commandline. If you installed the 800mhz kernel you should type /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh uninstall and if you had the 720mhz kernel then you should type /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh uninstall - this may take some time and your device will reboot.

5) CPUScaler app
    If you're running this alongside the WebOS Internals Uber Kernel then take no action, you're safe. If you're running this alongside the Super PreKernel or any other kernel you need to disable it before updating your firmware. Open the app and select Scale and Speed Off. You then need to select Make Settings Stick on Reboot so that your device doesn't try to overclock itself again when it reboots. You do not need to uninstall the actual app from your device.

6) Govnah
    This app does not need to be uninstalled. No action needed.

7) Themes
    If you are running any custom theme you need to remove it before updating your firmware. This can be done either through Preware (by selecting the theme in the feed list and choosing Uninstall) or through WebOS Quick Install's Themer. To use this, click Tools -> Themer and select Revert to Default.

8) Patches
    If your patches are not protected by WebOS Internal's AUPT system then you might run into problems when updating. To check that all of your patches are AUPT compliant you can use WebOS Internal's Emergency File Verification tool. Run Preware and click "List of Everything" and type emergency - a list of emergency tools will appear. Choose Emergency File Verification and install it. This can take a long time so don't interrupt the process. If your device is fully AUPT compliant then the install will finish cleanly. If there are incompatible items then it will fail and ask if you want to view the IPKG log. Click the log button and you will see (listed in red) all the files that are vulnerable. If you have received a list of incompatible files, tell us here and we should be able to advise you.

9) Backup your stuff
    I would always recommend opening the Backup app and forcing an OTA backup before you install any new firmware. This way, if the install fails and you need to Doctor your device then you haven't lost any data.

10) Run Save/Restore
    Save/Restore is a project developed by WebOS Internals designed to backup your applications' user settings and profiles. This way if you need to Doctor your device all of your preferences (and saved games) can be easily restored. You can download it through Preware.

If you have anything to add, or would like to edit what I've written, just let me know and I will make the appropriate changes.

Happy firmware updating!
    Last edited by errade; 06/29/2010 at 07:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Thanks for this, I was just browsing for this info, I'm going to wait until I am at home and see how this app thing pans out before I update so should have time to run through this list.
    Great, concise info, especially for newbies that are diving into the world of Preware and overclocking. If everyone would read and heed, so many senseless questions and problems be resolved because they didn't occur
    Hopefully people will read this before they start I hate when there's threads after an update and people says a theme is stuck on my phone. You installed it you should uninstall it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Hopefully people will read this before they start I hate when there's threads after an update and people says a theme is stuck on my phone. You installed it you should uninstall it.
    Hey, congrats on your 1000th post
    Hi, I just run the emergency file verification and received this log, is it still ok to downlad the update?

install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.emergency-file-verification
    Installing org.webosinternals.emergency-file-verification (2.0.0) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._2.0.0_all.ipk
    Configuring org.webosinternals.emergency-file-verification
    unlock
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    Removing package org.webosinternals.emergency-file-verification from root...
    Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:
    File: /var/lib/software/tmp/flashing-progress.tga
    File: /etc/udev/mount.blacklist
    lock
    Nothing Interesting.
    remove
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done
    failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Hi, I just run the emergency file verification and received this log, is it still ok to downlad the update?
    Pip Smith:
    The vulnerable files on your device are:

/var/lib/software/tmp/flashing-progress.tga
    /etc/udev/mount.blacklist

I can't say which patch or mod has affected them just by looking at the file names (are they files that you've personally edited yourself?)

I would recommend running Jason's WebOS Repair Utility (make sure you also have the latest version of WebOS Doctor)

When you run this utility it will flag up the two files mentioned above and ask if you want to replace them with the original (default) files. Click 'Replace' when it asks you and you're good to go

If you want further help on identifying what the flagged files actually are/do, it might be worth asking the guys over in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ation-efv.html

Hope this is helpful and not too confusing
    SqyArc
    Good job. This should be a sticky.
    Thanks SqyArc. Total noob I know but are webOS repair and doctor both run through quick instal?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Thanks SqyArc. Total noob I know but are webOS repair and doctor both run through quick instal?
    Nope, WebOS Repair Utility is a standalone program. WebOS Doctor needs to be in the same directory as WebOS Repair Utility or it won't work.

You shouldn't need to load WebOS Quick Install at all for this - it is completely separate.

Edit: Just to be crystal clear, don't run WebOS Doctor - you don't want to wipe your phone
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    1) CPUScaler app (by number1pete)
    If you run this application on your device, you need to disable it before updating your firmware. Open the app and select Scale and Speed Off. You then need to select Make Settings Stick on Reboot so that your device doesn't try to overclock itself again when it reboots. You do not need to uninstall the actual app from your device.
    If you are running CPUScaler with the WebOS Internals Uber Kernel, you do not need to remove it or disable it. Since the Uber-Kernel is OTA-safe, then either one of two things will happen:

1) The kernel is updated by Palm, and will no longer support the overclocking points, thereby rendering the CPUScaler "sticky" scripts ineffective, but still safe.

2) The kernel is not updated by Palm, and the overclocking continues to work.

You will see a place-holder package in Preware for the Uber-Kernel after an OTA update, and when we get the new kernel source code from Palm, we will build a new version for that version of webOS.

5) WebOS Internals Uber Kernel
    If you run WebOS Internal's Uber Kernel then you do not need to take action. I believe that this custom kernel is OTA update safe - please contact me if this information is incorrect. However, if you have coupled this kernel with any other overclocking method then you must still reverse the overclocking mod before updating.
    You are correct that the Uber-Kernel is OTA-safe. If you have coupled it with any non-AUPT overclocking patches (like the SuperPre Kernel or LunaSysMgr patches), then you should remove those. If you are using CPUScaler or Govnah, then you're fine to leave them on.

8) Backup your stuff
    I would always recommend opening the Backup app and forcing an OTA backup before you install any new firmware. This way, if the install fails and you need to Doctor your device then you haven't lost any data.
    I would also recommend installing Save/Restore and using that to backup your application data (and then transfer that from the USB drive to a desktop computer), just in case something happens to your data during the webOS upgrade.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Got three files out of EFV:
    - Package: org.webosinternals.patches.top-bar-in-device-menu aupt-1
    - Package: ca.canucksoftware.patches.Gmaps-latitude-workaround aupt-1
    - Package: ca.canucksoftware.patches.email-disable-LED-notification aupt-1

How do I get rid of them? Thanks for advice
  13.    #13  
    Rod,
    Thanks a lot for clearing this up, I appreciate the input. I'll make the necessary edits.

Update: Original post edited.
    Last edited by SqyArc; 04/23/2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Funny, I got the same files which are not compatible:

I don't know where the come from though. I guess I will try Jason's Repair Utility.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    Got three files out of EFV:
    - Package: org.webosinternals.patches.top-bar-in-device-menu aupt-1
    - Package: ca.canucksoftware.patches.Gmaps-latitude-workaround aupt-1
    - Package: ca.canucksoftware.patches.email-disable-LED-notification aupt-1

How do I get rid of them? Thanks for advice
    Mullern,
    The patches you have listed are old and out-dated. You need to try and remove them from your device.

Try loading WebOS Quick Install and clicking Tools -> Device Management. Now click the drop down box and select Patches.

You should see the following entries (or similar):
    Top Bar in Device Menu
    Gmaps Latitude Workaround
    Disable LED Notifications

You need to tick each one of them and then click 'Uninstall'.

Any further problems, let me know.
    SqyArc
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    Funny, I got the same files which are not compatible:

I don't know where the come from though. I guess I will try Jason's Repair Utility.
    Blacklight,

Regarding the flashing-progress.tga file, it refers to the circular progress bar when updating firmware - it's possible you have installed a patch or theme that has changed it to look different.

About the mount.blacklist - I have no idea why that would have been modified I'm afraid. In any case, I think that restoring these files with the Repair Utility is safe and you should do so if possible before updating.

Cheers
    SqyArc

PS: Out of interest, could you paste the contents of mount.blacklist? To do this, open WebOS Quick Install and hit Tools -> Linux Commandline. Then type cat /etc/udev/mount.blacklist
    Great advice. Definitely needs to be sticky-fied.
    "Honest to the point of recklessness; self-centered in the extreme."
    Regarding the flashing-progress.tga file, it refers to the circular progress bar when updating firmware - it's possible you have installed a patch or theme that has changed it to look different.
    Nothing that I know of.. I have very few patches installed, and never a theme. Then again, I've never doctored the phone because it hasn't been necessary yet. Maybe it's from a dirty patch "way back"

I have the OpenSSH (+ SFTP) Server installed, but I don't think it's related to that. Thanks for your answer!
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Mullern,
    The patches you have listed are old and out-dated. You need to try and remove them from your device.

Try loading WebOS Quick Install and clicking Tools -> Device Management. Now click the drop down box and select Patches.

You should see the following entries (or similar):
    Top Bar in Device Menu
    Gmaps Latitude Workaround
    Disable LED Notifications

You need to tick each one of them and then click 'Uninstall'.

Any further problems, let me know.
    SqyArc
    Thanks, SqyArc. Did as suggested but I don't see these three patches in the list. Other patches are all there........
    I'm saving this one!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast