Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I have a hunch with so many people complaining about GPS being "broken" I think Verizon is waiting to see what AT&T does when they release their Pre. I think if AT&T charges for their GPS (similar to VZ Nav), then Verizon will continue to do what they are doing now with the phone. If AT&T opens GPS up like Sprint (free and working), they will probably release a fix for the Pre Plus' GPS.

    One thing is for certain: If AT&T does release the Pre with a working GPS, we can put a nail in the coffin that the GPS is fine on the Pre Plus and it was Verizon all along.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    I have a hunch with so many people complaining about GPS being "broken" I think Verizon is waiting to see what AT&T does when they release their Pre. I think if AT&T charges for their GPS (similar to VZ Nav), then Verizon will continue to do what they are doing now with the phone. If AT&T opens GPS up like Sprint (free and working), they will probably release a fix for the Pre Plus' GPS.

    One thing is for certain: If AT&T does release the Pre with a working GPS, we can put a nail in the coffin that the GPS is fine on the Pre Plus and it was Verizon all along.
    I don't think verizon cares at all what AT&T does with GPS. Verizon has always pushed navigator, and never seemed too concerned fixing GPS problems in the past. I highly doubt they will start now especially with the palm pre plus which they are trying to get rid of.
  3. #3  
    I don't know, but I would still take mobile hotspot free over vz nav any day

    I just wish they fix the gps tho.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I don't think verizon cares at all what AT&T does with GPS. Verizon has always pushed navigator, and never seemed too concerned fixing GPS problems in the past. I highly doubt they will start now especially with the palm pre plus which they are trying to get rid of.
    if AT&T has a working GPS on the Pre Plus and Verizon doesn't, it's only going to start a war with Verizon. Many customers will flee their network for being too aggravated at them for unnecessarily charging for items on phones that should come enabled with the purchase.... (Verizon has a history of this)

    ...and I would be one of them.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I don't know, but I would still take mobile hotspot free over vz nav any day

    I just wish they fix the gps tho.
    I could care less about verizon navigator also, it's the GPS I want, but Verizon is breaking it unless you purchase their VZ Navigator software!!
  6. #6  
    ya its know from verizon that they do that they did that in the pass and seem to still keep doing it and no offense i still think sprint is the most open network and pretty much lets u do whatever with there phone. like on a normal dumb phone on sprint you always could install opera mini and on verizon they blocked that option u basically had real internet on a dumb phone and only payed for mobile web. so sprint is th most open and its a shame verizon locks **** still down but people seem to love verizon so whatever lol
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    I have a hunch with so many people complaining about GPS being "broken" I think Verizon is waiting to see what AT&T does when they release their Pre. I think if AT&T charges for their GPS (similar to VZ Nav), then Verizon will continue to do what they are doing now with the phone. If AT&T opens GPS up like Sprint (free and working), they will probably release a fix for the Pre Plus' GPS.

    One thing is for certain: If AT&T does release the Pre with a working GPS, we can put a nail in the coffin that the GPS is fine on the Pre Plus and it was Verizon all along.
    if you check this quote from an at&t rep GPS is working fine on the at&t version.
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2393403
  8. #8  
    They have strict policies on releases and strict testing... Period.


    Same issues with blackberries... OS would get released left and right by RIM and Verizon was on .75 when about 6 other OS's up to .112 were released. Verizon wouldn't budge. This is just how they work... remember they are a HUGE company work a little slower.
  9. #9  
    like i say probably an verizon creedy issue not a pre issue. i love the webos :-)
  10. #10  
    I am going to say that you should be happy that VZ is not releasing 1.4.X. 1.4.X sucks harder than 1.4. I've never had so many random shutdowns with my phone as I am now experiencing. I swear if I saw Rubenstein walking down the street, I'd throw my phone in his face.
  11. #11  
    +1 on that. After updating to 1.4.1.1, phone does luna restart on music app.
  12. #12  
    I called in to Palm about the GPS garbage, not really expecting any satisfaction. I was not let down!

    What really got to me was their recommended approach to trouble-shooting:

    "Backup your device, and then we're going to step you through how to DR your phone. BTW, anything that is NOT part of the standard backup set (like messages, apps, etc) will be lost".

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!

    Why, when the corporate world is starting to get a handle on what types of records need managing (e.g. emails, IM's, SMS, etc), do companies even think it's OK to NOT address the issue of text messages? I mean, hell, brokers were selling MBS's using their crackberries... it's part of how we got in this festering mess (the global economic one, not my out-of-worldly-important text messages not being backed up)

    OK, another day and rant done...

    russ
  13. #13  
    I think it's because verizon hates all it's customers really. I have not had good customer service with them...
  14. #14  
    First of all let's get some facts straight: NO company can charge you for GPS. GPS service is a service provided by US Gov't free of charge. It's just like NOAA weather radio. If you have a device that picks up its signals you're good to go. What Verizon is trying to do is to cripple GPS on Verizon Palm Pre Pluses so you would have to signup for their VZ Navigator software to access GPS.

    However that software only accesses GPS to provide turn by turn directions. You are paying for navigation service subscription - NOT the GPS.
  15. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I am going to say that you should be happy that VZ is not releasing 1.4.X. 1.4.X sucks harder than 1.4. I've never had so many random shutdowns with my phone as I am now experiencing. I swear if I saw Rubenstein walking down the street, I'd throw my phone in his face.
    1.4.1.1 is far beyond 1.4

    If verizon is the cause of gps issues, they must dislike their customers and this update to come should be a very good one, unless they just don't care. Weeks more of testing and tweaking should= good things.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    First of all let's get some facts straight: NO company can charge you for GPS. GPS service is a service provided by US Gov't free of charge. It's just like NOAA weather radio. If you have a device that picks up its signals you're good to go. What Verizon is trying to do is to cripple GPS on Verizon Palm Pre Pluses so you would have to signup for their VZ Navigator software to access GPS.

    However that software only accesses GPS to provide turn by turn directions. You are paying for navigation service subscription - NOT the GPS.
    You are right. But Verizon does not have to allow GPS to work on any of their phones. And if they want you to pay for navigator instead, that is their right. And your rights are if you don't like it, you can find a different provider.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    You are right. But Verizon does not have to allow GPS to work on any of their phones. And if they want you to pay for navigator instead, that is their right. And your rights are if you don't like it, you can find a different provider.
    Yes, except when Verizon advertises it as a feature and you can't access to it, that's not their right, that's fraud. In the short time I tried out Verizon I swapped two Pres both of which had GPS problems and even tech support and salesguy at Verizon corporate store was baffled by why it wasn't working and neither of them even suggested signing up for VZ Nav. So even Verizon employees don't know that Verizon is crippling/blocking GPS on Pres (or just not acknowledging it), which means Verizon's warehouse will be cluttered with brand new phones returned for GPS issues.
  18. john3976's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #18  
    I am again calling Bull on Verizon is the cause.

    Why do the Pixi Pluses all work fine using the same webOS?

    My wife has the pixi plus and has zero problems with the GPS.

    If Verizon was the sole cause then why has Palm not come out and said so? It does Palm no good at all for the GPS to not work properly.

    There is something else wrong with the pre pluses and the GPS not Verizon. Others with the pre plus on other net works other then Verizon are having the same GPS problems.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by john3976 View Post
    I am again calling Bull on Verizon is the cause.

    Why do the Pixi Pluses all work fine using the same webOS?

    My wife has the pixi plus and has zero problems with the GPS.

    If Verizon was the sole cause then why has Palm not come out and said so? It does Palm no good at all for the GPS to not work properly.

    There is something else wrong with the pre pluses and the GPS not Verizon. Others with the pre plus on other net works other then Verizon are having the same GPS problems.
    You need to do your homework before making your assessments. There are virtually no Palm phones on Verizon with working GPS. What you need to realize is that "Enable Google Services" is likely on. If you turn off all location services, then ONLY turn GPS on, reboot your phone, I guarantee you that google maps will take forever to load and when it does, it will either say that your location could not be found or put you far from where you actually are.

    To argue your second point, Palm HAS come out and said that GPS was crippled unless you purchase VZ Navigator - check the forums. Of course this does Palm no good, the problem is that it's not up to Palm. Palm issues the SAME release of code to all the wireless providers. Then the wireless providers modify the code as they see fit. Then they release it. This is yet another reason why Verizon Pre Plus users have not seen 1.4.1.1 yet.

    I don't know where you're getting your information from but you say others on other networks have the same GPS problems. Unless you can share information regarding those sources, I'd say you're wrong. In fact, AT&T just published an article and they posted that GPS works great. Go figure.

    Now for the cou de gras regarding Verizon breaking the GPS, this past week I had been traveling and there was a ton of traffic. In the car, with a wide open view of the sky, I opened google maps (this time I actually had enable google services ON because I needed for it to at least get me somewhere near where I was). Sure enough, after about 3 minutes, I got a location (very rough estimate - large blue circle - and about 1-3 miles off at times). I had to keep hitting the blue button which locates me, but it would not update very well. Only after 10 minutes or so, would it update my location, as I was in the car. However, after doing this for over an hour, I minimized Google maps and opened the Verizon Navigator. I then minimized the Verizon Navigator and went back to google maps and pressed the blue location button and WHALAH! It not only had a 1-2 foot accuracy of my location (pin-point accuracy), but it also updated my every movement. As we were traveling down the highway, I was able to actually watch the dot move with the map and it was ACCURATE!

    There is NO denying that this is Verizon's doing. You just cannot defy evidence.
    Last edited by blueray; 04/24/2010 at 05:10 PM.
  20. #20  
    no doubt in my mind that this is verizon locking down and forcing the use of there service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions