Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Ok I love the Sprint navigation but it is dependent on an EVDO connection. I am going on a trip to an area that has no EVDO will my navigation still work ?
    Is there an app that you can load gpx files or something like Garmin data to the Pre so the GPS wil have maps without EVDO ?

If not someone needs to come out with a GPS app that works as a stand alone. Would be cool if Garmin would release an app that includes all the maps you need and store on the Pre.
    Nope. Nothing like that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioviper View Post
    Ok I love the Sprint navigation but it is dependent on an EVDO connection. I am going on a trip to an area that has no EVDO will my navigation still work ?
    Is there an app that you can load gpx files or something like Garmin data to the Pre so the GPS wil have maps without EVDO ?

If not someone needs to come out with a GPS app that works as a stand alone. Would be cool if Garmin would release an app that includes all the maps you need and store on the Pre.
    This would be great but nope nothing exists yet. and judging by the amount of times its taking palm to release a basic API such as mic access....im sure it would require APIs that will take them years to release
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I think you can load maps into maptool? There is no turn by turn, but if you can load gpx, then you could at least check to see if you are on the right road.
    normally the whole gps will be preloaded then i even can get calls and the nav is still running on the pre only phone that does that. but if u drive wrong and ur on a call it wont reroute seems like it is preloaded and save the orinal route i never had an issue to get a call and still have gps running and u also can dial ##3836# and ur phone will get in a menu where u can choice to set it on evdo only u will get even in the badest areas evdo coverage then. so just save it and it will recalibrate the radio only thing in evdo only is that u cant receive any calls in order do receive call and text again is setting it back to hybrid rev a and save it but its a good way to get data even in only 1x areas and bad coverage.

I'm not sure it depends on EVDO I've traveled through several states without losing my Nav at any time, I'm fairly sure it runs on 1xRTT when necessary as it still supports 3G in that mode.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I know carrying a second device is less than idea, but no phone based GPS can compete with a dedicated GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    I know carrying a second device is less than idea, but no phone based GPS can compete with a dedicated GPS
    I don't know, my Sprint NAV does a pretty good job. And I don't have to update the maps!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.

For what it's worth, there are a few threads on the assisted GPS capabilities of the Pre:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t=assisted+GPS

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t=assisted+GPS
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer