Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, I just had to get this out here. I've been using this Sprint Pre for 22 days now and I'm loving it, yeah. There have been some problems, including lag and slowdown, some weird too many cards issues, but nothing major. I've learned a lot of the ins and outs of normal usage, etc etc etc blah blah blah. Sorry if the following seems unimpressive to any of you, but know that the Pre is my first smartphone...

Anyway, today something happened that just clicked.

I was trying to plan a cookout with some friends (neither of them are Pre owners one, in fact one of them is a blackberry user/pre hater) and was talking on the phone with one. I decided to text my other buddy at the same time, which amazed my first friend who was on the voice call. He couldn't believe that I could do texting and talking at once (he still uses a dumbphone. I think it's a Samsung Impression or something similar). Then I decided to get the 2nd friend in on the call. So I conferenced him in, with just a few taps of the finger. It was so easy! The great thing is that he didn't realize it was a conference call, he thought the two of us were talking to him on speakerphone. It was funny as hell.

On top of that, we wanted to find out if it's going to rain tonight, so I just opened up a new card with the accuweather app, checked the hourly view of todays weather forcast, looks like it's going to be clear skies for most of the night! (Let's hope accuweather lives up to its name) By the by, I thought Sprint couldn't do voice and data at the same time? Or does accuweather not count as data? Anyway, I digress...

I just wanted to share this experience with all of you. It was multitasking at it's best, and it was SUPER EASY with this phone. I love you Palm Pre!
    Last edited by glassadam; 04/22/2010 at 06:07 PM.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    You haven't seen anything yet - get some patches going and a little 800Mhz over clocking and you'll be doing backflips
    You cannot do voice and data at the same time with CDMA, did you have a WiFi connection?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    You cannot do voice and data at the same time with CDMA, did you have a WiFi connection?
    Oh hahaha yeah that was probably it. Thanks for clearing up that mystery!
    I am on verizon, so can't speak for sprint. You can talk and use data if you are connected by wifi.
    yeah I love my pre plus also long time blackberry user and iphone ..made the leap 3weeks ago.and loving every min of it..
    Thanks for posting, with all the DOOMcasting, it is nice to hear about peoples good experiences with this device.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    This is my first week with the Pre. I had a BB curve for 5 days and back it went. I have had several Treo's and BB but this phone is everything I need in a phone. I agree with you, there are some issues, but this thing rocks......
    But does it rock as much as Cleveland does.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot916 View Post
    But does it rock as much as Cleveland does.
    It absolutely rocks as much as Cleveland. Ian Hunter would probably agree.
    wait til you've got pandora thrumming out of your car speakers, then sprint nav jumping in--all while charging on car rigged touchstone..
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtrauma View Post
    I agree with you, there are some issues, but this thing rocks......
    Thing is.. what phone doesn't have it's issues?

'nuff said
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    text messages are not over 3G data.. They use the 1x voice band. You can sms while on a call, even on dumb phones like my old vzw enV
    Had mine four months with Verizon, had a Treo before that. Waited for Verizon to get it before trading in the Treo. Love it with no issues at all.
    I have a USB charger for the car, I charge from my laptop at work (even when it is turned off, it keeps one of the USB ports hot), and I keep my Pre running most all the time. If I'm stuck in a boring meeting, I can always do email (even work email), surf the web, Facebook, text message, etc. While in the car, I'm always playing Pandora (no commercials!). Recently we took a trip, and had no idea where we were going. Sprint NAV took us right to the place. I've started keeping some docs in Google Docs, so I can access them from any computer or my Pre.

I'm definitely getting my $150 worth out of this device, and only about $35 a month per line with my discounts! It is really hard to beat.

No, its not perfect, but it gets better with each update, and more apps are coming out every day. I'm really enjoying my Pre.

And I can even develop apps on it!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    text messages are not over 3G data.. They use the 1x voice band. You can sms while on a call, even on dumb phones like my old vzw enV
    Exactly dunno why OP is getting excited over features even dumb phones have. Whoa! Stop the presses your able to conference call? Your BB user had he read the manual could have done the same...
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Exactly dunno why OP is getting excited over features even dumb phones have. Whoa! Stop the presses your able to conference call? Your BB user had he read the manual could have done the same...
    this makes my post sound like I'm mocking the OP

I completely agree that the pre is an awesome phone, way better than any BB, droid, WinMo or iPoop. I was just explaining that texting while on a call does not require wifi.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Holy snap read the OP's post where he claims that most of what he's saying is old hat to experienced smartphone users and that the Pre is his first smartphone. Infer that his last phone probably couldn't do these things. Also, maybe OP wasn't exactly clear on who was doing what, but for extra background, know that BB user wasn't amazed by the conference calling, just didn't realize he was participating in such a call. It was just a bit of levity, your snark is not appreciated.

this makes my post sound like I'm mocking the OP

I completely agree that the pre is an awesome phone, way better than any BB, droid, WinMo or iPoop. I was just explaining that texting while on a call does not require wifi.
    Thanks for the extra info, though to clear things up, I was wondering about the data + voice thing in regards to my accuweather app running while I was talking. Haha I do realize that texts can come in while I talk.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Holy snap read the OP's post where he claims that most of what he's saying is old hat to experienced smartphone users and that the Pre is his first smartphone. Infer that his last phone probably couldn't do these things. Also, maybe OP wasn't exactly clear on who was doing what, but for extra background, know that BB user wasn't amazed by the conference calling, just didn't realize he was participating in such a call. It was just a bit of levity, your snark is not appreciated.
    Whoopie you love your Pre, we have 100's a threads for that. But what you were inferring were functions even dumb phones could have done, or are you insinuating that the Pre does "Stealth" conference calls, now that's something that would impress not only a BB user but me also
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Was gonna say, I've always been able to talk and text at the same time on Verizon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast