1.    #1  
    I have recently noticed a very weird issue. My GPS signal is working fine. Apps that just give the coordinates work fine. When I try to start google maps it loads and after some time it tells me that it needs an active internet connection to download the maps. This only happens in 3G. Over wifi the maps load perfectly.

I saw in the forums couple of other posts about it, but rebooting the phone etc hasn't fixed it.

I am wondering if this is a 1.4.1 issue or maybe a patch that I have installed. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Vas
    I had a similar problem yesterday. A bit of Googling threw up a thread here that suggested using the Pre browser to go to Google to logout and login again.

It worked for me - I'm guessing it may be cookie-related.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I had a similar problem yesterday. A bit of Googling threw up a thread here that suggested using the Pre browser to go to Google to logout and login again.

It worked for me - I'm guessing it may be cookie-related.
    Ok I don't see how the two are related. However I did try it and it's still no go Did you do anything else to try and make it work? I just cant see what downloading maps has to do with your gmail account...

Thanks
    Vas
    Not gmail, iGoogle.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Not gmail, iGoogle.
    I tried that just now. I also cleared cache, cookies, history.
    Now google maps seem to load ok.
    I still cant see what the connection is between the two. Must have some shared components. Not a great architecture...

Thanks for your help though
    Vas
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    I tried that just now. I also cleared cache, cookies, history.
    Now google maps seem to load ok.
    I still cant see what the connection is between the two. Must have some shared components. Not a great architecture...

Thanks for your help though
    Vas
    There is a connection, if youve used latitude it will sign you into whatever google account you sign into with your web browser.
    tried that but had no effect for me! any other ideas?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoggg View Post
    tried that but had no effect for me! any other ideas?
    Did you clear your browser cache and history etc?
    yup, still a rubbish app in my mind.... wish google would sort it out!

BUT!!!

I spoke to a person called an "O2 GURU" who informed me that if my sim card was old it would not reach the same data speeds as a new one... so one new sim card later and google maps is working a treat!

suggest anyone in uk struggling with it should check out the age of thier sim! new one was free!

;-)
    Last edited by kdoggg; 05/03/2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: edit