Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Two things important for me in mobile media player are sound quality and ease-of-use. If I were to use Pre (plus) as my main media player, what is the sound quality and ease-of-use with media player? Any equalizer support available? I read about the stock media player being not too good. Do the replacements make up the gap?
    Sound quality is excellent - there is good depth to the sound considering there is no user customizable equalizer. I can't listen to my iPod shuffle anymore, the sound is so tinny and thin. Ease of use in the default app is good, but it lacks features. There are two alternatives - Music Player Remix which is excellent and allows on-the-fly playlisting as well as the ability to display lyrics.

The other option is NaN_Player, but it's not in public beta yet (we're expecting to see it pretty soon). NaN looks to be an incredibly advanced app.

I use my Palm Pre as my primary music player now - I no longer need my Cowon MP3 Player. You need to be aware that the battery isn't fantastic, but you do have the option to buy spare batteries.

I'm afraid I don't know if NaN_Player has an equalizer.
    link to Nan... again it's not out yet.. but check it out..

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...iew-video.html
    Sound quality is right up there with iPhone. Almost perfect frequency response and very low noise/distortion. Check this review:

Palm Pre review: A pebble in your hand - GSMArena.com

As for my subjective opinion, the Pre sounds amazing through my Sennheiser HD-590 headphones! Detail, clarity, and bass response are great.

Just make sure you put well-encoded music on it!

As for the built-in media player, it's fine for playing music but lacking in interface speed and features. Check out the soon to be released NaNPlayer, it promises to blow the stock music player away. I'd say it even makes the Pre better than an iPod for music...
    I find the pre is an above average music device, I use my touch for games only now. I do find that better ear buds make the music really nice to listen too. The ear pice that came with my pre is only use for calls.

I use cheapo ear buds that sound great. I think they were 20-30 dollar Skull candy ear buds. I also use the Music remix patch from preware that makes the music UI much easier and added lyrics is a REALLY nice touch.
    +1 for excellent music quality. Best I've had so far, and only one that I don't have to crank up the volume completely for my car's AUX input.

It actually beat out my N810 which has a Wolfson codec, already considered one of the nicer ones out there and the Pre only has a TI chip.

Problem is with media playback it kills the battery.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Yes, if you're going to use it as your main music player, I would spring for the extended battery or buy a spare. Especially if you're couple this with the other services now available to you that use data while playing music, such as Grooveshark, Slacker, Pandora, or RadioTime.

The stock player really sucks navigational-wise. It's slow and once you start doing anything with the phone other than playing music (such as browsing, tweeting, checking rss feeds), skipping may begin to occur and going back to the app while other thinks are open will result in extreme UI lag. I'd say it's okaaaaaaaaaaay, but I am looking forward to better solutions.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I sold my iPod once I'd spent a couple of weeks with the music app. It's a little slow when you open it first time as it reads and caches ID3 tags/album art but once it's up and running it's quick and easy to use and with the Pre there's no reason to close it, eh? :-)
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    The stock player isn't good enough to replace a dedicated MP3 player, and neither are the replacements. The software is slow and buggy, and if you're not overclocked it usually takes forever to navigate through your library. I have a small sample of my library on my Pre, but it can never replace my Zune. It's nice though just to have a couple songs here and there when you don't have your mp3 player on you. Plus 8gb isn't nearly enough, 16gb might be sufficient but 8 runs out too quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    The stock player isn't good enough to replace a dedicated MP3 player, and neither are the replacements. The software is slow and buggy, and if you're not overclocked it usually takes forever to navigate through your library. I have a small sample of my library on my Pre, but it can never replace my Zune. It's nice though just to have a couple songs here and there when you don't have your mp3 player on you. Plus 8gb isn't nearly enough, 16gb might be sufficient but 8 runs out too quickly.
    Try searching for the song you want by typing on the keyboard instead of swiping.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    frankly? it's terrible...stock. Download Music Player Remix if you want a half decent music experience.
    Music Player Remix is a must-have app; period. Beyond that, overclocking loads things up "super-fast." Then, shortcuts like the one ToniCipriani points out make things even faster. Sound quality-wise, the Pre is surprisingly good, though I do agree with anus1220: the Pre is no substitute for a Zune.
    Clearyly the Zune HD (64gigs now) is a superior player with a fantastic ui and feature set but for just hitting the grocery store and rockin out the pre + fits the bill nicely... as a matter of fact the idea of owning another low storage (under 60gig) mp3 player no longer makes sense to me..I have an 80gig zune and this as my small player...the soud is great but i am using (arguably the best earbuds) the older version of these: Shure - SE420 Sound Isolating Earphones
    The quailty is pretty good. I have Music Remix and I have pluged in through my AUX jacks for the car. I have about 3g worth of music on it plus the pandora app. Life with the pre is good.
    the stock music app sucks. It's super slow. That's all I have to say.
    Thanks everyone for your props for Music Player (Remix). I started the project because I'm addicted to listening to music everywhere (work, in the car, mowing the lawn, biking, etc.) and I wanted the Pre to replace my dedicated MP3 player (Zen Vision:M). Many of the features in the app are inspired by the Zen (customizable wallpaper, swiping the titlebar on any screen to get back to the main menu, flylists, alphabet scroller, etc.)

I know I'm a little biased, but I can honestly say I haven't turned on the Zen for months. My only wish is that the Pre had more storage capacity. My music collection is a bit larger than 8GB, so I do have to compromise and not load all my songs.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    The stock Music app leaves much to be desired. It is slow and obggs down the Pre. The speed is greatly improved with the 800Mhz patches.

Aside form speed. I really miss the "play everything in this folder option". THis is especially for music that is not tagged appropriately and/or music that you change all the time. I routinely change "current: music on my phone. I really dont want to go create a playlist everytime i do this.

Just my two cents.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Two more cents, Good in a pinch. The Remix player works well It's easy to use. It wont see your playlists though. The on the fly playlist feature is pretty usable though. Not a sub for a dedicated player like the ZuneHD. Sound quality is very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    Two more cents, Good in a pinch. The Remix player works well It's easy to use. It wont see your playlists though. The on the fly playlist feature is pretty usable though. Not a sub for a dedicated player like the ZuneHD. Sound quality is very good.
    Music Player (Remix) will see playlists that you transfer over from your computer. Search the Remix homebrew thread for "M3U" to find step-by-step instructions on how to transfer over the playlists.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Music Player remix doesn't always work. It misreads ID3 tags. I've also had an issue with it not finding files, a retart sometimes fixes that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast