1.    #1  
    Twenty four hours ago I installed the 800MHz kernel along with the CPUscaler.

After charging through the night I used the phone throughout the day as I do normally. Here are some observations on the impact that the changes have had.

- Only one negative issue to report; upon unplugging my phone from the charger this morning the phone promptly did a reboot. No problems since however. (I've not had that happen before)

- App. launch time has been reduced, maybe on order of 1 - 3 seconds.

- Google Maps is still slow, but it is now opening in under 12 seconds, including acquiring a GPS location fix, just about every time. (original launch times were 30 to 45 seconds).

- The web browser window activates in about 1 second with the selected page then being limited to the download speed.

- Any app which requires the phone to access an internal database (ie: Calendar), takes about 1 second to launch and 2 seconds to load the data, the phone seems to load two days worth of data at a time, moving to a third day requires another load delay of about 2 seconds.

- Battery usage appears to be better managed. Normally I would be hovering around 15 - 20 percent remaining by the end of my day (around 12 to 14 hours). Today I was at 28 percent.

- The general feel of the UI is much more responsive, I did notice that there would be some stuttering when scrolling through the App Catalogue update view, the stuttering would stop once it had been through the Catalogue once...I suspect that this is due to the data downloading from the net...it scrolls perfectly smoothly after the initial scroll through.

- I was able to launch the Glyder 2 app without getting the 'Too many cards error'. No need to reboot the phone to use Glyder 2. Rebooting needed to be done on the slower kernel.

- One area of the city has very poor coverage and normally I would not be able to load a web page. With the new kernel running I was able to get web access, although slower than what would be normal. I'm not sure why running the 800MHz kernel should have an impact on that issue.

I'll post an update after tomorrow is finished.
    Last edited by Harnoy; 04/22/2010 at 03:51 AM.
    ya prettymuch everything you say is true. Besides the battery life sucks eggs since the patch I am a heavy user and the phone if I surf for 20 minutes internet or watch tv loses lick 20 % so battery last in heavy use 2 freaking hours around. And even in stand by it loses battery quick. Why a drain from 100% to 90% in an hour on stand by? That's ridiculous.honestly. Battery is not good. And using the cpuscaler makes the phone freezes gets a black screen and needs a battery pull at least twice a day annoying. Lol
    Yeah scaling below 500 usually gets me a BSOD too. But 10% battery drain sitting idle seems like a lot. At idle I'm more like
    1-3%
    Harnoy,

What did you have scaling set to during this observation period?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    i've observed far better battery life using the set speed at 800mhz compared to the scaling for some reason. Dunno why i suppose it's just working better for me.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nachob View Post
    harnoy,

what did you have scaling set to during this observation period?
    250 - 800
  7.    #7  
    2nd full day running with the 800 MHz kernel. (update to the original post)

Several items to point out first;

1) The CPUscaler is set at 250 - 800

2) I have two applications installed which do background updating: Outline Tracker (set to poll every 15 min.), and Market Live (polling every 5 min).

On To The Observations for today;

1) The battery life is definitely showing an improvement, today was about 14 hours of work time....the battery is still showing 30 percent remaining.

2) There were no issues today with the phone resetting itself.

3) The phone does not warm up as much as it used to when on an extended phone call....(probably one of the factors which is influencing the battery run time)

4) Google Maps continues to perform as mentioned in the original post....much faster load times and the GPS location acquisition is just about instant once the app has loaded. No lag with displaying the Maps either.

The combination of the 800MHz kernel and the CPUscaler has shown a definite improvement in the functioning of the phone, the applications, as well as battery life. Overall I can recommend the changes to anyone who is interested.
    I set up CPU scaler on my phone and a friends. First using 125-800....then after repeated black screen of deaths requiring battery removal, I tried 250-800 with the same result. Now I'm running 500-800 and don't seem to be having any issues. But I don't know if the battery life is at all increased with this scaling (it DEFINITELY was better with 125-800). I"m feeling a bit ripped off for buying this app....ah well.

macros
    Quote Originally Posted by Macros746 View Post
    I set up CPU scaler on my phone and a friends. First using 125-800....then after repeated black screen of deaths requiring battery removal, I tried 250-800 with the same result. Now I'm running 500-800 and don't seem to be having any issues. But I don't know if the battery life is at all increased with this scaling (it DEFINITELY was better with 125-800). I"m feeling a bit ripped off for buying this app....ah well.

macros
    no rip off in buying the app man, it was available for free if you didn't want/need az gui, in fact the other editions of it ARE free. You could have tested it without buying if you feel 'ripped off' look at yourself, the devs are doing a great job making a better phone for us otherwise freely not employed by Palm.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Thanks for the observations.

FWIW, it may be worth considering running the 720 patch. I've found its a good trade-off in terms of performance-to-battery life but YMMV.
    I'm set 500-800 usually idle for the first couple of hours in my day, and still at 100% 2 hours off the touchstone....think the battery drain is directly influnced by signal strength, have full signal at work so battery is usually at 60-68% when leaving work (10 hours) thats with just texting and email.
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    I also get the occasional luna restart, but it's usually when waking the phone, never in the middle of doing something, so i live with it, the speed far outweighs the downside of an occasional luna boot....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Hmm, I don't get the luna restarts with the 800 patch but I don't have the scaling. I think Caj did say to use the 500-800 as it is the most reliable. I'm not using scaling as i haven't seen a significant battery drop since the OC. I also recently got the 1400 battery from Mugen.
    I have been running the 800 MHz patch for a while, and the CPUScaler set at 500-800 for about a week. Last night I took my phone of the TS and set it down around 10:00 pm. This morning it was at 94% around 7:30 when I picked it up. I did some mail, calendar checking, nothing heavy. Set it back down and then later in the day played some games and some more emails, chat, etc. Nothing heavy, but occasional use... It was at 68% battery, even with 15-20 minutes of Hero of Sparta. Overall, I'm happy with the battery life with the 500-800.

As for the effect, I notice google maps also comes up in about 12-14 seconds, with a GPS lock. Most things are faster, including boot. I haven't had a crash, but I have had some times when I try to unlock it and the screen stays black, but instead of hitting the power button over and over, I hit the front button and wait, and it comes back to life in a second or two and everything is fine. Only seen that a couple of times, so no big deal.

I haven't seen any heating up of it so far. Even when it's on the TS for the night. Runs really cool, actually. Maybe a 3d game might crank up the BTUs but so far I haven't seen it.

Overall, love the patches.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    I have been running the 800 MHz patch for a while, and the CPUScaler set at 500-800 for about a week. Last night I took my phone of the TS and set it down around 10:00 pm. This morning it was at 94% around 7:30 when I picked it up. I did some mail, calendar checking, nothing heavy. Set it back down and then later in the day played some games and some more emails, chat, etc. Nothing heavy, but occasional use... It was at 68% battery, even with 15-20 minutes of Hero of Sparta. Overall, I'm happy with the battery life with the 500-800.

As for the effect, I notice google maps also comes up in about 12-14 seconds, with a GPS lock. Most things are faster, including boot. I haven't had a crash, but I have had some times when I try to unlock it and the screen stays black, but instead of hitting the power button over and over, I hit the front button and wait, and it comes back to life in a second or two and everything is fine. Only seen that a couple of times, so no big deal.

I haven't seen any heating up of it so far. Even when it's on the TS for the night. Runs really cool, actually. Maybe a 3d game might crank up the BTUs but so far I haven't seen it.

Overall, love the patches.
    Looks like you're seeing similar improvements in the Pre's behaviour as what I'm experiencing.

As to the screen not waking up occasionally when unlocking, that problem sounds like a thread timing issue. I haven't personally seen it myself, I'll keep an eye on it though.

Temperature wise, the phone is definitely running cooler, even when used for an extended length phone call.

I should have mentioned that my usage patterns take me all over the city, of which some areas have very poor reception...(not even seeing one bar on the meter). Generally I'm using the phone in between clients to check news, stocks, and occasionally play a game, so I'm not a 'heavy' user but the phone is probably doing something around 70% of my working day.

These two patches alone have made the phone much more enjoyable to have. (That and the PIM system that was posted on the main page which has helped out with the missing functionality that I require). (The PIM system is a hybrid use of the Outline Tracker app and the web based services called Basecamp and Backpack)

The phone now offers a good user experience that it wasn't doing before the two main patches came out (800MHz and the CPUscaler)