Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    its not googles fault that android is becoming popular, in fact, thats their plan. its palms fault that WebOS is not as popular. Palm refused to license their OS, they have only released 2 devices (plus 2 upgraded variations). It basically comes down to the analogy, throw a plate of spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks. Keeping to the analogy, android has a much bigger plate of spaghetti, so more of it sticks. basically, there are more android devices on the market, so more android devices get sold.

If microsoft pay 200$/per unit to manufacturer to produce Mobile 7, Manufacturers rebate 150 to Carriers , Carriers give them for free to consumers. How could any smartphone OS compete? Nokia, sony is facing the same suitation of Palm's facing.

The point here is why manufacturers produce Android in the first place?

Are they based on a fair competition market strategy?
    The answer is NO
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    If anything I said had made u fee I am a too much ****** of WebOS, then I'm sorry. I mean it is true Palm had made mistakes. But I don't think Palm could compete with Android even it had not made mistake.
    I think people are quick to forget how Palm got where they are.

From Feb09 (CES Pre Announcement) to Jun6 (Pre Launch) Palm was a media and geek sweetheart. They had the funding to compete with the big boys and showed a product that far surpassed the iPhone so Palm was a true underdog. But then Palm tripped over it's own feet with terrible ad campaigns, problematic hardware and software that wasn't quite ready. These were fixable problems, but instead of Palm focusing on what they need to do to survive, they got obsessed with that ridiculous iTunes connectivity battle.

The Pre had EVERYTHING necessary to compete, but it's failure is 100% due to their own missteps. Google, MS and Apple had nothing to do with their poor decisions.

Bono must be spinning in his grave with this investment decision.
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/21/2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I think people are quick to forget how Palm got where they are.

From Feb09 (CES Pre Announcement) to Jun6 (Pre Launch) Palm was a media and geek sweetheart. They had the funding to compete with the big boys and showed a product that far surpassed the iPhone so Palm was a true underdog. But then Palm tripped over it's own feet with terrible ad campaigns, problematic hardware and software that wasn't quite ready. These were fixable problems, but instead of Palm focusing on what they need to do to survive, they got obsessed with that ridiculous iTunes connectivity battle.

The Pre had EVERYTHING necessary to compete, but it's failure is 100% due to their own missteps. Google, MS and Apple had nothing to do with their poor decisions.
    Bono must be spinning in his grave with this investment decision.
    I agree I remember reading through multiple forums at the time Palm announced they were developing the pre in janurary of 09 if memory serves me correctly I think announcing it so early was the first mistake especially if the webos platform was not complete. In hindsight and had I been in a decision-making position, I would have waited to publicly announce the pre until a: I had the opportunity to shop around the platform to developers to see what was coming and then to give them time to have the more popular apps(shazam, voice dialing) ready to go at launch and b: Possibly beta-tested the Pre and Pixi to a small group to find any hardware problems and then maybe redesign the device and/or update the specs. That way when it was finally announced you have app support and confidence that the platform and hardware were really top of the line.
    And I would have had better advertising! The last commercial they had was much better than the first!
    Thinking about it more, I think I know what you mean, but I don't think its ilegal unless Google started charging companies if they also make win7 phones, like when intel would charge computer companies more if they also made amd computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by psvillars View Post
    I agree I remember reading through multiple forums at the time Palm announced they were developing the pre in janurary of 09 if memory serves me correctly I think announcing it so early was the first mistake especially if the webos platform was not complete. In hindsight and had I been in a decision-making position, I would have waited to publicly announce the pre until a: I had the opportunity to shop around the platform to developers to see what was coming and then to give them time to have the more popular apps(shazam, voice dialing) ready to go at launch and b: Possibly beta-tested the Pre and Pixi to a small group to find any hardware problems and then maybe redesign the device and/or update the specs. That way when it was finally announced you have app support and confidence that the platform and hardware were really top of the line.
    And I would have had better advertising! The last commercial they had was much better than the first!
    I agree, in hindsite Palm should've waited until the summer to announce, and then released it on Verizon first late summer. Combine this with actual marketing and we might be talking about Palm now the way people are talking about Andriod.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    For the record Microsoft charges in the tens of dollars for manfacturers to license their mobile os, not hundreds.

Google should not be sued for anything, they are competing fairly. It just so happens that most of their profit still comes from ads and search so they see mobile as a viable platform in which to extend their services.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12