1. djs
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    3rd day, and all I can say is wow. Installed the800mhz patch which made eveything so fast! Battery life sucks but I haven't installed the scaler yet. Connected to wi-fi, easy as pie! Broke down and got the touchstone, it's just too wicked. So now all I can think is why this phone isn't more popular then the iPhone. It really does everything better! The patches?themes?hacks? Wicked! Even the community is great! Love this world! I will be doing my own PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$!!
    The battery life will improve with some cycling, welcome to precentral!
    spread the word djs

I've convinced 4 iPhone fans that the pre is better

Glad to hear it thou
    I cycled my battery to below 20% before charging for the first week. It now seems to take a little longer to charge from, say, 50% but the life is A LOT better now.
    Thanks for the post djs! Welcome to PreCentral!

I'm using the the 800MHz also and even without the scaler, my battery life improved just through letting the battery cycle fully a few times. Enjoy the Pre!!
    Try using an iPhone after using your Pre for about a month...You'll be confused as sh!t trying to swipe every which way as the great intuitive iPhone does nothing but stare back at you! You'll understand Dieter's "Staccato" metaphor perfectly!

Welcome and spread the word!
    Had a Pre for almost a week now and an iPhone prior. Gotta say I love the Pre more, despite some weaker App support.
    im glad u recognize the best...welcome to precentral, WE THE BEST
    I got one too, had it for about a week now, and loving it more everyday! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by nologin View Post
    Had a Pre for almost a week now and an iPhone prior. Gotta say I love the Pre more, despite some weaker App support.
    app support will come, in good time

iphone has been out 4 years
    pre has been out 10 months
    Quote Originally Posted by djs View Post
    3rd day, and all I can say is wow. Installed the800mhz patch which made eveything so fast! Battery life sucks but I haven't installed the scaler yet. Connected to wi-fi, easy as pie! Broke down and got the touchstone, it's just too wicked. So now all I can think is why this phone isn't more popular then the iPhone. It really does everything better! The patches?themes?hacks? Wicked! Even the community is great! Love this world! I will be doing my own PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$!!

Ive had my Pre plus for about a week now and Ive been thinking about doing that 800mhz patch, but Ive heard it could pop my phone so I'm a bit hesitant.
    How many have done this, am I just being paranoid?
    Hundreds of people have installed the 800MHz patch and it's been running for a month now. Before the new kernel became public, there was a closed beta stress test that didn't fry anyone's phone. Motorola upclocks the same CPU as in the Pre to 1GHz in the Droid, as a factory setting. You should be fine.

As for battery life, it's been said before, but it's really going to get better. I think my first charge lived for like an hour and a half, lol... nowadays I can go a day without recharging, and if I do end up doing some overly battery-heavy stuff (playing 3D games over stereo bluetooth headset on a train ride, for example), I always have a spare with me, you know, cause this isn't Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by djs View Post
    Sounds like everything is working well for you. A couple of comments / suggestions.

1) Get the CPUscaler (from Preware), I've got it set to cycle between 250 - 800. The cpu stepper is quite aggressive which results in fairly rapid step downs when idle, (helps to keep the phone cooler). It will bring up the speed whenever it detects the need. Works very well!

2) The iPhone has an app store which has some absolutely killer apps on it...Palm is still way behind on this front. The apps are what makes the iPhone so popular. (That and it's ability to sync seamlessly with any other Apple computer)

3) Does the Pre do 'everything' better?? Hmmm, it does have a more elegant UI, however beyond that I would have to say that it becomes a matter of personal preferences.

4) Patches, themes, and hacks. Stuff that only a geek would appreciate . Seriously though, if you like 'customizing' your phone then you've probably chosen wisely.....either that or you could jailbreak an iPhone and do the same things to it.

I like your enthusiasm
    Try the Faster Animations Express patch now available in preware. You will like it. Fast.
    Don't try the GPS.
  16. djs
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Well I can confirm that the battery has gotten much better. Still haven't installed the scaler. I'm thinking I might just keep it clocked at 800Mhz.

Harnoy: I certainly agree the Pre isn't perfect and even that the iPhone has a few things that it does better. Certainly app variety is superior however Apples dictatorship type process is uncool. iTunes requirement is even more idiotic. I can't really think of anything else the iPhone does better. I even like the dimensions of the pre better. You're probably right though, the pre is a geek phone and I'm loving tinkering with the OS. I changed the EV symbol to 3G just because I could... so yeah. iPhone certainly wouldn't have cut it.
  17. djs
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Don't try the GPS.
    Elaborate?