Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Universal search is such a cool feature. Palm should expand on it. Now that I think about it "searching" could be Palm's biggest selling. We know how well searching turned out for google. My update request for search are:
    1. Calendar
    2. Ability to remove / add universal search. For example I should be able to remove twitter and put wikipedia. I could also add dictionary.com.
    3. Bookmarks would be included in search without opening the browser
    4. Ability to search within web pages or memos, email etc. Similar to ctrl+F on PC's.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 04/21/2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Universal search is such a cool feature. Palm should expand on it. Now that I think about it "searching" could be Palm's biggest selling. We know how well searching turned out for google. My update request for search are:
    1. Calendar
    2. Ability to remove / add universal search. For example I should be able to remove twitter and put wikipedia. I could also add dictionary.com.
    3. Bookmarks would be included in search without opening the browser
    4. Ability to search within web pages or memos, email etc. Similar to ctrl+F on PC's.
    Some of those are pretty good ideas, but when is Palm quitting?? More importantly and to the point, why are you sure they are?

#1 is a definitely agree.

I've done #2 manually, but it's a pain to "readd" everything after updates. I've been thinking about a homebrew app that would do that, but it really would have to be HomeBrew. It would be nice if they included a call to a subroutine that had easily editable data, instead of hard-coded information.

#3 I don't think so much. Bookmarks seem to be stretching things a bit, and adding them as part of the search (searcing totally non-indexed flat file data instead of a database) seems like it would slow the search process down tremendously.

#4 See #3, same problem. Searching a database is a different animal than searching flat file data. All of the current universal searches are searching databases (contacts, installed apps, etc). The searches you mentioned in #2 are not really doing a search by universal search, they are linking to those sites, and offering to let them do a search.
    A friend who has a new pre + sometimes has questions.. I answer or direct towards help.. the search should search the help guide (its a pretty useful guide actually)

ie how to delete an application - should have an option to search help
    Palm is not quitting.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Agree with the Calendar search - if you have Google Calendar there is a program that allows you to search from your Pre, but it's not the same as built-in Calendar Search.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Palm is not quitting.
    I knew that, I was being facetious
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Agree with the Calendar search - if you have Google Calendar there is a program that allows you to search from your Pre, but it's not the same as built-in Calendar Search.
    That one they should be able to realistically do. The calendar app uses a database, so that shouldn't be a problem. I suspect we'll see it eventually, especially now that we know they're not quitting
    I don't actually agree on the Calendar myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Calendar entries to be searchable within the Calendar app. I just don't want them polluting my Universal Search.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Calendar entries to be searchable within the Calendar app. I just don't want them polluting my Universal Search.
    Now see, I didn't think of that. Maybe the soultion is to add a search feature within Calendar, and adding it as one of the linked options with "Google, Google Maps, Wikipedia, and Twitter".
  10.    #10  
    Quitting = giving up on sprint owners and moving on to the next device ie tablet. Seems to me there is a finite number of updates that will be released.

Quitting = also means letting HTC , motorola etc buy palm and take webos in a totally different direction ie tablets. Thus eliminating future updates. And or releasing a new webos phone that has features not available on older models ie bluetooth file transfer

calendar and other items can be displayed similar to how things are in mac OS spotlight search.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I agree. I don't want the calendar searched unless I am in the calendar. The phone is busy enough during a universal search. Type-to-search should be a part of most all apps that manage lists of things.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Now see, I didn't think of that. Maybe the soultion is to add a search feature within Calendar, and adding it as one of the linked options with "Google, Google Maps, Wikipedia, and Twitter".
    I replied before I saw your post Herb. I think adding it to the Google, etc, list of other things to search would be a good alternative.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Palm is not quitting.
    No more Sprint Pre? No more webos?Options
    Edit Message

Delete

Mark as New

Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe to RSS Feed

Highlight

Print

Email to a Friend

Report Inappropriate Content

04-21-2010 04:00 PM

One of my agents said that she wasn't going to get a pre because her Radio Shack contact told her that they were discontinuing the Pre and that Sprint was going to be discontinuing the Pre. I checked with a friend of mine in the industry and he confirmed that Sprint is dumping the Pre.

He also said that if HTC purchases Palm that they are planing on keeping the Pre, but making it a droid phone.

I guess when you put yourself up for-sale and the only taker is HTC at a much lower price point, that fixing the wifi, blue-tooth, keyboard, etc issues is the least of your worries.

Is this the beginning of the end for Palm? Or did it end a long time ago and we just couldn't face it.

Palm, RIP???
    Quitting is when Palm says it is closing it's doors and will no longer have any interest in competing in the mobile smartphone arena. So far, all of Palm's actions lately have not given one the impression that they are quitting as much as the Palm haters relish the thought of them going out of business.
    No not the beginning of the end.. hopefully the end of a very struggling/rebuilding year. Once they get a new handset out that solves some of the build issues and gets people excited again palm can make a comeback. Its just so much negativety, bad press, misleading sales people (verizon).

See the palm pre is just too good. People wont buy it.. you know what.. cause it makes too much sense
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    #3 I don't think so much. Bookmarks seem to be stretching things a bit, and adding them as part of the search (searcing totally non-indexed flat file data instead of a database) seems like it would slow the search process down tremendously.
    The OP was probably thinking something like the "awesome bar" in Firefox. When you start typing in the address bar it searches your history AND bookmarks for matches even on multiple words. Since it is likely using regular expressions it is pretty quick and powerful.

I agree that it would be a pretty cool addition to universal search and disagree that it would slow it down much.
    I would actually like bookmarks in the universal search, that way I don't have to have them in my bookmarks and my launcher page. Sure the bookmarks page is the first thing you see, but I've gotten so used to the search that I'll think, I want to go to precentral and I'll start typing it instead of opening the browser for it. Although I have a launcher for precentral, so insert another website, like my bank website.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I would actually like bookmarks in the universal search, that way I don't have to have them in my bookmarks and my launcher page. Sure the bookmarks page is the first thing you see, but I've gotten so used to the search that I'll think, I want to go to precentral and I'll start typing it instead of opening the browser for it. Although I have a launcher for precentral, so insert another website, like my bank website.
    If you type a website out then it will launch the web and automatically go to that website through the web.

So you will type precentral and the phone will give you standard options (google, wikipedia, twitter), but as soon as you type .net at the end it will give you a bottom option that launches the web and goes straight to the site.

The rest goes for .com, .gov etc.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Another thing to add is the more things you start having universal search search, the slower universal search becomes and the more cluttered it becomes. I have heard many things that people want universal search to search and although they are all great ideas, maybe we need to have better search within the applications themselves.

So while in web you can start typing and it will search your bookmarks for you and give you those options. Maybe we need something like that in calendar, memos, tasks etc?

To add all these options into the universal search would not make a very good ui (in my opinion).
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Universal Search & Synergy are both due for an update.
    Another thing to add is the more things you start having universal search search, the slower universal search becomes and the more cluttered it becomes. I have heard many things that people want universal search to search and although they are all great ideas, maybe we need to have better search within the applications themselves.

So while in web you can start typing and it will search your bookmarks for you and give you those options. Maybe we need something like that in calendar, memos, tasks etc?

To add all these options into the universal search would not make a very good ui (in my opinion).
    Bingo!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast