1.    #1  
    Verizon has been including the mobile hotspot for free with recent Pre Plus purchases, whereas they normally charge $40/mo for this service. I wonder if there is any way to negotiate giving up the mobile hotspot feature and having them include the VZ navigator service for free instead, which goes for $10/mo? I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by YankBoy; 04/21/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    I would trade in a heartbeat too. I barely use the hotspot, and when I do, I use it with my iPod Touch and it is slow. Question is, How do we inform VZW of our desires?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi208 View Post
    I would trade in a heartbeat too. I barely use the hotspot, and when I do, I use it with my iPod Touch and it is slow. Question is, How do we inform VZW of our desires?
    I emailed customer support to ask if I could trade. I'm still in my 30 day period to return the phone and cancel my contract. The poor GPS is really a deal-breaker for me. Nobody seems to know if it's Verizon's or Palm's fault and neither one seems all too interested in fixing. I'd be on Sprint in a heartbeat, but my apartment is smack in the middle of a Sprint dead zone.
    its verizons pre the sprint one doesnt has the gps issue its a known verizon pre issue there is a way on the pre to get even in bad coverage zones evdo coverage dial ##3836# and choice evdo instead hybrid reva. save and the pre will go in to evdo and wola u will have great evdo coverage. i never have any issues on sprint with the coverage and the mobile hot spot is great but it seems slower on verizon then the hotspot/mythether on sprint its i think that verizons evdo is slower then sprints. but back to the GPS it is a verizon issue only on the pre not an pre issue because it works fine on sprint.
    I would not switch. My iPad and MHS work together like a charm.
    I love the Hot Spot.

I was bragging about it and was told that the iPhone does the same thing.
    I don't want an iPhone, but is this true?

what other devices offer a hot spot?
    Hot Spot all the way. For $10 a month, you could get a really nice GPS after two years or even less sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I love the Hot Spot.

If I'm correct the iPhone does not have tethering on ATT officially. Although other countries support it, with or without extra fees I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I love the Hot Spot.

The iPhone does not do it at all. AT&T even has a strict policy against tethering. So far the "reports" say that AT&T's network cannot handle the load. In it's current iteration I only know of a few work arounds with older wimo phones that offer tethering. I do not know of any that are as carefree as on the Pre.
    +1 on the Hot Spot.
    MHS ftw. I have a really nice Garmin with lifetime traffic that cost less than 2 years of VZ navigator. It has bluetooth to integrate with my Pre+, it integrates with my car stereo, it has a nice 4.3" screen, and it attached to the dashboard so it is easy to read, doesn't fly around the car if I hit the brakes, etc.

GPS matters to me for stuff like Yelp and Latitude, but not for driving.

Also, VZ doesn't offer MHS on any other phone, so it's hard for them to claim it is a $40 option. I doubt very many people actually paid for it before it was free, so giving it away was just a way to differentiate from AT&T and Sprint, and controll network traffic by making it less desirable for people to use MyTether instead of MHS where they can measure and limit traffic through the phone.

That hotspot has saved the day many times. I didn't get a Sprint Pre because it couldn't tether (hadn't heard of MyTether back then) and I wasn't going to give up my Centro for any phone that didn't let me tether at least one device.

Pre+ costs me less per month than my Centro because of the cheaper data plan, cheaper voice plan, and lack of additional $15 tethering charge I paid on my Centro.

The MHS feature is yet another reason I can't understand Verizon's unwillingness to promote and support the Pre+. They missed a golden opportunity to poke AT&T in the eye and slap the iPhone around.