Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
       #1  
    Has anyone else gone through this process? I've been paying $7 a month for phone insurance for the past 8 months. My screen cracked this weekend forcing me to replace it. My understanding was that it was 0 to $50 you would have to pay for a replacement, they charged me 100.

    I paid $150 for my Pre to begin with, I know $100 is better than retail price but judging by all the phones that are coming out this summer (perhaps a new Pre) I feel somewhat robbed for paying so much for what I already had.

    Anyone else feel the same way?
  2. RMB175's Avatar
    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #2  
    You'll have to pay $100 for almost all of the smartphones for replacement if the damage has been caused you.
    It's been this way for quite a while now.
  3. #3  
    The phone insurance offered to me was too stupid to consider. It would only cover me if my phone died of natural causes like a software failure or a manufacturer hardware defect. It will NOT cover something like a cracked screen if the crack was caused by it being crushed in my pocket or something like that, or if I dropped it or water damage or,, you name it.

    Personally I say opt OUT of phone insurance! But don't come crying to me if your uninsured phone does happen to die of natural causes :P
  4. #4  
    NEVER OPT OUT OF INSURANCE. In the case of the user above me, do no take the crappy policy. Most companies will cover you for any accidental damage, as long as you show there was no negligence on your part.

    But let me draw the big picture for you.

    With insurance: You pay $7/mo for insurance, something happens and you pay $100 for a replacement.

    Without insurance: You pay $0/mo for insurance, something happens and you pay $399.95+ for a replacement.

    You decide.
  5. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
       #5  
    I'm opting out of insurance for now. If I were to break my Pre again between this month and August I will just use a dumbphone for a while as I will be upgrading in August to whatever the hottest phone is on Sprint.
  6. #6  
    It costs me about $30 a year for a rider on my homeowners policy to cover phone replacement ($50 deductible) vs. what.. $84($7 x 12) a year for a separate policy from the carrier?

    Explore all your options...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    NEVER OPT OUT OF INSURANCE. In the case of the user above me, do no take the crappy policy. Most companies will cover you for any accidental damage, as long as you show there was no negligence on your part.
    Hey I asked them specifically exactly that question. "Is my phone covered if I 'accidentally' crack the screen" They said nope, but like you said different carriers have different flexibility in their coverage.
    Anyone getting a new phone should be SURE to ask specifically what is covered. I assume if my phone were to break, 99% of the time it would be because of some sort of accident, and maybe ~1% from "natural causes". There ain't no way I'm paying for insurance for that 1%
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    It costs me about $30 a year for a rider on my homeowners policy to cover phone replacement ($50 deductible) vs. what.. $84($7 x 12) a year for a separate policy from the carrier?

    Explore all your options...
    I just called my insurance agent to see about adding a rider to cover both my wife's iphone and my Pre Plus. She said that the insurance carrier had just made some changes to its policy regarding mobile phone coverage and she would have to get back to me, but she did alert me to this: if you cover something (anything I think) under home owners insurance and file a claim (for theft or damage, etc.), your premium will go up; and if you file a second claim not too long after, you run the risk of having your policy canceled completely, just as you would for filing for damage to your home for any reason.

    It's a stinking racket the way they can dump you for that, but it's reality.
  9. #9  
    My face/bezel cracked on the edge. Not from being dropped. It started to look like it was de-laminating at 1st.. Then one day a little chip just fell off. I have insurance so I took it in to Sprint. They swapped it out with a refurb no charge. No complaints here except the $7 per month is a little steep.
  10. #10  
    I'm glad to have insurance. About a month and a half after I bought my Pre on launch day, I was mugged on the street and two guys made off with my Pre! $100 bucks isn't exactly cheap (wish it were $50, but that's what they charge for dumbphone replacment) but keep in mind that $100 sure as hell beats full retail.

    My experience with Asurion went allright. A couple days after I got my replacment they sent me another one! I wondered what I should do with it, but they ended up calling me the next day and made me send it back. Damn.

    Oh, one crappy thing is that about a week after getting my replacment the USB door broke off. Grr...and THEN I closed the slider and a fairly large piece of plastic broke off from the upper left hand corner of the phone! My heart sank as my original was in perfect condition. I called Asurion and they told me inorder to get it replaced I'd have to file ANOTHER claim and pay ANOTHER $100. I said screw it and have just gotten used to my less-than-perfect Re. Heh
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/21/2010 at 04:00 PM.
  11. #11  
    I purchase all my warranties from SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative

    If you purchased your phone new (not ebay) they will cover you for accidental damage from handling too, which covers dropping or water damage. I personally used this warranty recently for my daughters phone she dropped in the pool. Since they could not repair the phone they sent me $399 for another phone.

    Right now you can get a full warranty for your Pre for $94. Use coupon code "EARLYSPRING10" (not sure how long this will last) and get $19.20 off for a total of $76.80 for two years of coverage. I believe there is a $50 deductible for all claims.

    A Sprint warranty would cost you $168 for two years plus $100 deductible for a claim.

    I'm not their salesperson, but I have and used their warranty and I can verify that it works.

    Hope this helps.
  12. #12  
    There is another way to look at insurance - the above is a great idea, but that sounds like loss and damage only.
    Smart phones are subject to all their internal parts acting up - I like my insurance so that when the accelerator stops working, screens won't turn, I get a new phone.

    I had a HTC something on Win Mobile - had all kinds of fits with it, something was always crashing, so I got a new working phone, as has my daughter's BB Curve - I view this as a good way to keep it running properly - try to have software repaired is always first option, but now you are charged for that as a smartphone, so repairs are free as well as swaps if not fixable
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jthore View Post
    I just called my insurance agent to see about adding a rider to cover both my wife's iphone and my Pre Plus. She said that the insurance carrier had just made some changes to its policy regarding mobile phone coverage and she would have to get back to me, but she did alert me to this: if you cover something (anything I think) under home owners insurance and file a claim (for theft or damage, etc.), your premium will go up; and if you file a second claim not too long after, you run the risk of having your policy canceled completely, just as you would for filing for damage to your home for any reason.

    It's a stinking racket the way they can dump you for that, but it's reality.
    Yeah, I had a string of bad luck a few years ago that resulted in three claims within one year(two phones and a PDA) and at that point was threatened with being booted. Luckily I didn't need to make any more claims for a few years.

    Quote Originally Posted by fs65a View Post
    I purchase all my warranties from SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative

    If you purchased your phone new (not ebay) they will cover you for accidental damage from handling too, which covers dropping or water damage. I personally used this warranty recently for my daughters phone she dropped in the pool. Since they could not repair the phone they sent me $399 for another phone.

    Right now you can get a full warranty for your Pre for $94. Use coupon code "EARLYSPRING10" (not sure how long this will last) and get $19.20 off for a total of $76.80 for two years of coverage. I believe there is a $50 deductible for all claims.

    A Sprint warranty would cost you $168 for two years plus $100 deductible for a claim.

    I'm not their salesperson, but I have and used their warranty and I can verify that it works.

    Hope this helps.
    May have to look into this as a alternative to the home owners insurance. Thanks for the link!
  14. japark's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    #14  
    I pay the $7.00 for insurance on my Pre. I paid full price for it and would rather pay $100.00 if it were seriously damaged or lost than full price again. I have had it replaced under warranty twice for manufacturing defects (which doesn't require any insurance), but the insurance is better than paying another $500 to $600 for a replacement phone.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jthore View Post
    I just called my insurance agent to see about adding a rider to cover both my wife's iphone and my Pre Plus. She said that the insurance carrier had just made some changes to its policy regarding mobile phone coverage and she would have to get back to me, but she did alert me to this: if you cover something (anything I think) under home owners insurance and file a claim (for theft or damage, etc.), your premium will go up; and if you file a second claim not too long after, you run the risk of having your policy canceled completely, just as you would for filing for damage to your home for any reason.

    It's a stinking racket the way they can dump you for that, but it's reality.
    Then don't do it as a rider, do it as a separate policy. My phones are covered under a Personal Articles Policy from State Farm. My personal articles policy covers 2 Pres for $48 per year, and it is its own policy, so even if I make a claim and then they cancel it, oh well, it's just a cell phone policy.

    Now an insurance agent is likely not going to want to write up a $48 policy (or $24 for one phone, for me), but in my case I already had 3 policies with this agent, one of them being a Personal Articles Policy that covers all my firearms, so it was nothing for him to add my phones.

Posting Permissions