1.    #1  
    I apologize if this is a question that gets asked all the time or something but I've looked all over the web and haven't found any suitable answers.

I just got my Palm Pre Plus on Sunday and have two main issues that are bugging me right now. First off, when the guy at Verizon set up my Palm Profile on my phone he misspelled my first name. I updated the information on the Palm website but it still shows as misspelled on my phone. It's not a huge problem but it's definitely annoying to have your name spelled wrong on your own phone.

Second, I'm having all kinds of trouble with the messaging. I think it's mainly Google Talk. When I go into messaging it says "Offline". If I try to change it to Available it goes to "Signing In" and spins for a bit and then just goes back to Offline... no error or anything. It worked when I got my phone and then I downloaded the newest update so is it something that's broken in the new release? I've tried deleting and re-adding my Google Talk account and that worked for a bit yesterday but then today it's back to doing the same thing.

Any help or advice anyone can give me on either issue would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Only time I've had trouble with google talk like that I have had to restart the phone which normally sorts it out.
    With the name problem, I had the same thing happen to me on a previous phone. And unfortunately, you have to go into Verizon and tell them they misspelled your name and fix it. Don't be coy, it's a real pain in the **** and it's their problem, not yours.

My problem is that the misspelling has found it's way into the Bell computer system so every now and then, I still get the misspelled name on a bill, or an email. And I have to go into the store and they scratch their heads. I try to remain polite, but I just want to throttle them.

Wish I could help with the messaging problem, but I don't use Google Talk. I'm sure someone around here does though.
    To maybe change your name... click on 'device info' and change it. I think that might be what your talking about. Also click on 'moreinfo' is there an email address at the bottom with your name? On my sprint there is. If it's wrong they may have to drop and recreate account.. but thats just a guess.

For google talk... are you connected to wifi or 3g?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post

For google talk... are you connected to wifi or 3g?

It's on WiFi right now I believe. I'm at work but we get a WiFi signal from the pizza place next door.
    I don't get this whole schtick with carrier employees creating profiles for you in the US.

What you can probably do, especially since you haven't had much time to customize anything, is to just do a hard reset and bring your Pre back to factory settings. At that point, you will get funneled through the first start procedure again, and you will be prompted to either create a new Palm Profile or log into your existing one. Create a new one on another email adress (it's free, don't worry) and you should be all set.

Disclaimer: I'm from Europe. Even though we don't have Freedom the way you New-Worlders do, my local Warlord has decreed that we're free to create as many palm profiles as we flipping well please. It's possible that Democracy causes American users to only be allowed one profile per person and to be charged big dollars for creating a second one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't get this whole schtick with carrier employees creating profiles for you in the US...
    With Sprint, they only do it for you if you ask....they do step you through the process however so that the device is activated and working before you leave the store.
    i added my own.... it wasnt too difficult... had never even used a pre either, it was pretty self explanatory... took to it like a frog to water
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    With Sprint, they only do it for you if you ask....they do step you through the process however so that the device is activated and working before you leave the store.
    that's only verizon cause they want to take control over everything. I hate verizon
    I usually reboot my smartphone (whatever variety) at least once a week, seems to clear out the gremlins.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the responses everyone. On the name thing I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and go back to Verizon. On the Google Talk, it seems WiFi related. As in when I'm on the WiFi network at work (it's actually not my work's network, it's the pizza place next door's) it won't connect to Google Talk. It's not ALL WiFi though because if I have it on WiFi at home, it connects fine. So right now my solution is to turn the WiFi off when I'm at work.

I have a bit of a new issue now though. The top (slider) portion of the phone doesn't sit flush with the bottom part when the keyboard is closed. It's not drastically bad, maybe a cm or two but it definitely was not like that when I first got the phone. And when it's closed the top moves back and forth. Again not a ton but it is noticeable and it does make a sort of "clicking" noise when it moves. I guess my question is is this common and to be expected or does pretty much everyone else's sit flush with the edge and this is something unique? I love the phone so far but I have to admit the sliding mechanism makes me nervous. I'm afraid it's going to break or get stuck or something.
    I'm afraid that is the dreaded Oreo effect. You'll find plenty of info on that is you search the forums and various remedies. My pre is getting worse by the day now. If it gets too much I'll probably take it back as it is a known issue.